What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I remember Arko August last summer quite fondly; I signed up saying I was going to do "Arko Sharko Whole Hog" and you turned that into one participation option among several that other participants might choose. I think as a result we ended up with 3 or 4 guys who did the whole month using Arko soap and Shark blades.
Yes, that worked out quite well. It’s nice when an off-hand comment turns into something worthy of being canon. 🙂

Still in

proxy.php

Still in.

I've started the 3017 journey for Stirling Duke from today, this is the only way I can think of to actually see a soap getting finished.

Stirling Duke is a great soap, and most of all it's scent is not season specific, therefore can be used during Monsoon as well.

Shark blade paired with the RazoRock Game Changer 84 Open Comb performed well, and shave was very balanced.
It'll be a good blade to keep for the Arko August.

Old Spice Original ASL didn't sting a bit and it was a pleasant finish for today's shave.

IMG_20210514_175753.jpg

Another update:
I have sold my Omega 10098 brush to the owner of the Karve razor (loaner), and it'll be sent with the razor.

Omega 10098 is a great brush and honestly I had second thoughts about selling it, but sanity prevailed and we shook hands (figuratively speaking) finalizing the deal.

Hopefully it'll be more loved by the new owner, as I wasn't into bowl lathering anymore, and I hate any of my shaving gears getting neglected.

Last edited:
Good morning fellow Grumesmen. Still In.

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower,
Lather: Mystic Waters Coconut Sandalwood,
Brush: EJ 87 L Horn sivertip fibre,
Razor: Maggard V3 Barberpole,
Blade: Super-Max Super Platinum (3),
Post-shave: Stiling Island Man, Real Shaving co. balm,

Having 30 days of Soap Commander Endurance under my belt. I thought that I would start to move to the next soap on my, "gee. I have some nice shave soaps here, it would be nice to finish some of them this year" campaign.

So as the weather is firmly moved into spring, Mystic Water's Coconut Sandalwood is my next on deck. At the beginning of the big bang that created the artisan universe, I decided that I would find a few artisans that I liked, and stick with them. Mystic is of them.

I don't know if I will be able to finish SC Endurance this year, but know that I can finish MW Coconut Sandalwood and MW's Jasmine this summer.

@tjsgarden

It is a way of using the items in our shave setup, be it soaps, creams, after shave etc in such a way that we continue to use them till they are finished, not hopping from one soap to another (in my case Stirling Duke) before the tub is finished.

This provides a deeper understanding of how much our purchased items lasts, all the while allowing ourselves to get better at properly using the items.

The term 3017 was a mistake in calculation of the estimated time when a member would be able to finish his current stock of soaps (it was supposed to be 2017), but 3017 stuck, and viola, it is now called 3017ing an item in your rotation, especially if you were overzealous in purchasing, and now looking at heaps of it.

Fellow members can explain it better if I've missed anything or understood it wrong.

This is the thread and I recommend you read it from the beginning, it is an interesting read.

@tjsgarden

It is a way of using the items in our shave setup, be it soaps, creams, after shave etc in such a way that we continue to use them till they are finished, not hopping from one soap to another (in my case Stirling Duke) before the tub is finished.

This provides a deeper understanding of how much our purchased items lasts, all the while allowing ourselves to get better at properly using the items.

The term 3017 was a mistake in calculation of the estimated time when a member would be able to finish his current stock of soaps (it was supposed to be 2017), but 3017 stuck, and viola, it is now called 3017ing an item in your rotation, especially if you were overzealous in purchasing, and now looking at heaps of it.

Fellow members can explain it better if I've missed anything or understood it wrong.

This is the thread and I recommend you read it from the beginning, it is an interesting read.

Thanks for the explanation. I still like (said in jest!) the conspiracy angle! :biggrin1: :eek2::letterk1:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Clubman Friday, but not the original Clubman today. I used the same Silver Blue blade in the same red tip Super Speed as I've been using for a while; Simpsons M6 Manchurian brush, and Simpsons Unscented Luxury cream. Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve to finish. A strong aftershave/cologne that I think I used too liberally today. You can probably smell me from there...

I did a B&B search for a reference to the number 3017.
I am still not sure what the number is about...maybe some deep conspiracy?!:eek2::biggrin1: :letterk1:

It started in a thread from I think 2005. The gentleman calculated how long to use up his soaps and came up with the year 2017. 2017 came and went and he still hadn’t used up his soaps so a mod made a joke and changed the title of the post from “I think…2017” to “I think…3017.” Now whenever someone is focusing on using up a product we jokingly refer to it as 3017ing it.

Still in.

I fell asleep and had my phone on “Do not disturb” so I slept through my invite to the underground party. My body is still in CDT and the invite came at midnight PDT (2:00 am to my body.) I’m feeling old. Can’t believe I fell asleep.

Flying home today so still no shave. I may do one when I get home.

Still in.

I switched to the Rex Ambassador with a German Wilkinson Sword blade today. I need to rethink my technique again because what works best with the Wolfman needs some tweaking with the Ambassador. I used to do a setting 3 WTG, 4 XTG and 5 ATG with the Ambassador that worked great, but my order of shaving isn't as linear anymore and I don't want to go back to it.

It was an OK BBS shave, but I can do better.

I used my usual Crown Shaving Co. pre-shave with the PAA Atomic Rocket followed by Mystic Waters Lemon soap and Soap Commander Inspiration (grapefruit) splash.

Another update:

I sold 2 of my Stirling soaps (New, just a sample scooped with spoon) to another wet shaving enthusiast.

Stirling Almond Creme and Stirling Nag Champa.

These are either duplicate for a soap that I have or too heavy for my liking.

Ha ha, I reduced the stockpile by about 400 shaves give or take in a single evening.

Bonus: Someone else is going to enjoy them more than me, and I sold them at a fraction of loss, just enough to teach me not to stockpile and enough to almost cover the cost.

IMG_20210512_150318.jpg

Top Bottom