What's new

May 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

I had to keep today's set up ready beforehand for fear of forgetting about the Arko Sharko Thursday.
I'm still not sure why it is suggested for today but I welcome the opportunity to use Arko any day.

I received a great blade PIF from a fellow member, and it included a tuck of Shark blade.

Lucky for me I haven't came to using it till now, and after today's shave I'm impressed with how the Shark blade behaved.

I rubbed the wet Arko stick on my face and started working it with the Beehive and received a healthy, slick and creamy lather enough for 3 passes.

I loaded the Shark blade in my BBS razor, as I wasn't sure if it would be too much for the Game Changer 84 Open Comb.

I'd rather find a blade at balance or less aggressive in BBS than more than I could handle in the Game Changer 84 Open Comb.
Reason is that the BBS is a very mild and efficient razor which can handle sharp blades and doesn't leave my face raw, while Game Changer 84 Open Comb will not sugar coat the blade feel and tell me how it is.

The Shark blade felt very keen, smooth and balanced and some credit goes to Arko for providing good protection.

I'm currently favoring 2 Pass DFS rather than 3 pass BBS shave, because Summer heat here can be a really big factor in irritating my skin due to regular close shaves.

Mind you, this is my 1st Summer when I'm properly wet shaving and all those years of keeping a beard of varying degrees have not made my face accustomed to daily shaves.

I took today off from my plans to start 3017 my Stirling Duke just so that I can get a good shave with Arko.

Arko and Williams Mug Soap are two soaps in my rotation which give me very satisfying shaves, because it in lather, slickness and general ease of use.

Ps: Another member has very graciously sent me a blade package, and due to various reasons the Post Office has not delivered it even though it is close to 60 days since it was supposed to be delivered.

Either it is stuck somewhere, and someday it'll be a pleasant surprise to receive it

Or

The postman is shaving with foreign blades.

IMG_20210513_224644.jpg

Still in.

Today was Fake Day. My first time using a fake brush! I paired it with a seldom-used Thiers-Issard with scales obviously designed to fake resin scales. Arko would have been the perfect cream choice, but I didn't have any, so I went with a color match, choosing MWF for its bland white container to match the handle of the fake brush, and keeping the Captain's Choice copper bowl out of the picture, because it has way too much character for the theme of the day.
1620931229318.png

So why would someone with a strong preference for natural materials buy a fake brush? Well, people said they were great. Some even dared to suggest that they were better than badger!

Also, I think it's important to keep ones prejudices on firm ground. It is one thing, as a bystander, to say "A fake brush? Really? What happened, did you run out of badgers?" It's another thing entirely to say "yeah, I tried one of those, they are terrible." Of course I could not build my foundation on a crappy version of a fake brush, so I got a Simpson Duke 3 with platinum hairs.

I seldom reach for this Thiers-Issard razor. Its virtue is that it rapidly gives me a very acceptable shave with no fuss. I think I understand those qualities better now. The lack of fuss is because, Method or no, this razor does not take the kind of atom-splitting edge that, say, my Iwasakis take. It seems really easy to avoid trouble with this razor. The speed is partly that, and partly that stainless steel seems more slippery when shaving; it just seems to glide along the cheeks. That's my experience with the two I have, anyway. The other thing they have in common is a really high polish, so that could be a huge factor.

It was a decent shave, a quick shave, a competent shave, but not a fun shave. Part of the fun for me is the high level of concentration needed to overcome the low margin for error. Not as much of that here.

The fake brush was sort of odd. To start with the best part: it was the most comfortable brush on the face that I've ever used. So very, very soft in its touch, but still having plenty of backbone. The odd part for me was the resistance to doing a proper splay. Badger brushes seem to naturally and easily splay out symmetrically. This one wanted to locate 80% of the bristles on one side and 20% on the other, or 30 and 70, anything but the right behavior. I could get it to do a proper splay, sometimes, not other times. It seemed more natural to do what they recommend, and paint the lather on in strokes, rather than splay, and to add moisture to the lather on the face with a slight splay. It made lather just fine, very well.

The comfort is a strong draw. The rest, I'm not sure. Maybe I'll get more used to it. Maybe, with use, it will start splaying properly. It didn't make me a convert.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Still in.

Today was Fake Day. My first time using a fake brush! I paired it with a seldom-used Thiers-Issard with scales obviously designed to fake resin scales. Arko would have been the perfect cream choice, but I didn't have any, so I went with a color match, choosing MWF for its bland white container to match the handle of the fake brush, and keeping the Captain's Choice copper bowl out of the picture, because it has way too much character for the theme of the day.
View attachment 1266073
So why would someone with a strong preference for natural materials buy a fake brush? Well, people said they were great. Some even dared to suggest that they were better than badger!

Also, I think it's important to keep ones prejudices on firm ground. It is one thing, as a bystander, to say "A fake brush? Really? What happened, did you run out of badgers?" It's another thing entirely to say "yeah, I tried one of those, they are terrible." Of course I could not build my foundation on a crappy version of a fake brush, so I got a Simpson Duke 3 with platinum hairs.

I seldom reach for this Thiers-Issard razor. Its virtue is that it rapidly gives me a very acceptable shave with no fuss. I think I understand those qualities better now. The lack of fuss is because, Method or no, this razor does not take the kind of atom-splitting edge that, say, my Iwasakis take. It seems really easy to avoid trouble with this razor. The speed is partly that, and partly that stainless steel seems more slippery when shaving; it just seems to glide along the cheeks. That's my experience with the two I have, anyway. The other thing they have in common is a really high polish, so that could be a huge factor.

It was a decent shave, a quick shave, a competent shave, but not a fun shave. Part of the fun for me is the high level of concentration needed to overcome the low margin for error. Not as much of that here.

The fake brush was sort of odd. To start with the best part: it was the most comfortable brush on the face that I've ever used. So very, very soft in its touch, but still having plenty of backbone. The odd part for me was the resistance to doing a proper splay. Badger brushes seem to naturally and easily splay out symmetrically. This one wanted to locate 80% of the bristles on one side and 20% on the other, or 30 and 70, anything but the right behavior. I could get it to do a proper splay, sometimes, not other times. It seemed more natural to do what they recommend, and paint the lather on in strokes, rather than splay, and to add moisture to the lather on the face with a slight splay. It made lather just fine, very well.

The comfort is a strong draw. The rest, I'm not sure. Maybe I'll get more used to it. Maybe, with use, it will start splaying properly. It didn't make me a convert.
The Duke synthetic should loosen up a little over the next 20-30 uses, but it will never open up like a badger. You'll always have to mash it a little. I get mine to splay on the point of my chin. They are good little brushes. I hope you enjoy it. I had mine in my hand this morning and then at the last minute I went with a Duke 2 in Best.

So I'm using a sample of Stirling Varen soap and I'm not sure on the scent. The predominate note I get is dirt followed by some floral, I don't dislike it but I'm not sure I would want a whole tub of this soap. I will say this Mutton tallow base lathers much thicker than Stirling's Beef tallow soaps and gives a great shave.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the Varen scent?

So I'm using a sample of Stirling Varen soap and I'm not sure on the scent. The predominate note I get is dirt followed by some floral, I don't dislike it but I'm not sure I would want a whole tub of this soap. I will say this Mutton tallow base lathers much thicker than Stirling's Beef tallow soaps and gives a great shave.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the Varen scent?
I think that "dirt" smell is why Stirling doesn't utilize more scents with mutton tallow. There's always that underlying scent note from it regardless, so I've read. Haven't tried any of the mutton tallow variants but sampling a few different varieties has been on my list for a long time. Have you tried any of the other mutton tallow soaps from them?

I think that "dirt" smell is why Stirling doesn't utilize more scents with mutton tallow. There's always that underlying scent note from it regardless, so I've read. Haven't tried any of the mutton tallow variants but sampling a few different varieties has been on my list for a long time. Have you tried any of the other mutton tallow soaps from them?
It isn't the mutton tallow, I've used the Scots Pine Sheep and it doesn't have a dirt scent.

Still in. Forgetting to check in here. Nearly half way through May and I have no itches. The shave for May is Proraso tube cream, G5 scuttle, 34C/Astra SP, vintage brush with a TGN Finest knot (most shaves). The guys discussing MdC have me wanting to ditch it all and get a brain bowl, but I will keep on keepin' on! MdC is not an itch, BTW.

Owen Bawn

I have never been to the northeast kingdom, but it is a goal of mine to wind up there for a few days (or so) with my camera in the fall.
My sister owns a house between Lake Willoughby and Barton. I used to hide up there for 3 weeks each January and ski at Jay Peak and Burke Academy. Best kept secret in American skiing. Rocky Mountain like powder- not the waterlogged mashed potatoes fallen from heaven that you usually ski on in New England. What an area. @redrako

Still in. Tonight’s shave
Pre-Shave: Hot face wash
Razor: Gillette Fatboy (9 & 7)
Blade: Astra Blue SS (2)
Brush: Omega S Brush
Soap: D R Harris Windsor
Post Shave: Alum Block
D R Harris Windsor AS splash
Nivea Protect & Care ASB

BBS smooth shave and Astra SS blade appears smoother on second shave. Fatboy excelled tonight. 😎😎😎😎😎

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (7)
  • Arko
  • Yaqi 24mm Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
I'm pretty sure that I haven't pulled out the Arko tub since the end of Arko August. However, I got it out early (Tuesday) and gave it a little hydration. Using it today, the result was the same as I always get - lots of lather with slickness, cushion, and little care for how much water is involved.

Thanks, @tjsgarden, for pulling together Arko Thursday! Please be sure to join me when I host Arko August again this year. :letterk1:

Also, today was Maroon Pants Thursday, but that's a story for another time...

Onward!

Still in, 41.9% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Arko for Thursday
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 SB, Astra SP #6
Post-shave: Nivea Balm.

Since I hadn't used the Arko recently, wetted the puck in advance.

It lathered up easily, as ever, the performance was good, and I got a BBS face and DFS neck.

After getting used to MWF all the time, though, there is more irritation with Arko, the sort that makes you rinse carefully, and a less comfortable post-shave.

Arko always reminds me of summer, it's synthetic lemon-citronella takes me back to camping in Vermont's State Parks or staying with my wife's family in Vermont's northeast kingdom.

Still in.

No shave. Still in California. I think I’ve been invited to a secret underground party by my coworkers. Either that or they’re yanking my chain. They told me to wait for the text message with the location. I will update you with further information as acquired.

Arko and Williams both remind me of camping. I’ve camped in several Vermont parks (I’m not from Vermont but am currently wearing a Vermont Lake Monsters baseball cap).

You’re right. They remind me of camping in Vermont and that’s a good thing. I’m not sure why it reminds me of Vermont. You hit it on the head though.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (7)
  • Arko
  • Yaqi 24mm Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Dominica Bay Rum AS
I'm pretty sure that I haven't pulled out the Arko tub since the end of Arko August. However, I got it out early (Tuesday) and gave it a little hydration. Using it today, the result was the same as I always get - lots of lather with slickness, cushion, and little care for how much water is involved.

Thanks, @tjsgarden, for pulling together Arko Thursday! Please be sure to join me when I host Arko August again this year. :letterk1:

Also, today was Maroon Pants Thursday, but that's a story for another time...

Onward!
I remember Arko August last summer quite fondly; I signed up saying I was going to do "Arko Sharko Whole Hog" and you turned that into one participation option among several that other participants might choose. I think as a result we ended up with 3 or 4 guys who did the whole month using Arko soap and Shark blades.

Top Bottom