What's new

Mixing and Matching with Tatara Razors

I've reached the end of my journey with hyper efficient razors.
Now I want to explore a couple of razors that are more dialled into
smoothness, followed by efficiency....but also gentler on the face than most.

Ive been following Tatara and think I'm going to buy something from them,
because they are pursuing very interesting things on both the design and innovation
front. Such efforts should be financially supported, so they can continue their
good work.

I like the idea of mixing and matching top caps with base plates to get the desired
razor. For handles, I'll always go for the smaller one and always choose a solid
bar.

So here are my options:

1. Masamune top cap with Nodachi baseplate
This marries a milder top cap to a more aggressive plate. Blade gap is high, blade exposure is low.
(Gap: 0.90mm / Exposure: -0.03mm)

2. Nodachi top cap with Masamune baseplate
This marries a more aggressive top cap to a milder plate. Blade gap is low, blade exposure is high.
(Gap: 0.63mm / Exposure: 0.00mm)

What would be the characteristics of the above razors respectively, if described more expressively,
and in tangible terms?

Surely both cannot be the same. Although when I think about it, it feels like both the above options
will deliver a shave that falls in the middle of the Masamune and Nodachi.

Can someone who has experimented with this mix 'n match thing fill in some of these blanks for me?

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I am interested as well I have a Tatara Nodachi and would like to know what a Masamune baseplate would be like?

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I use masamune cap with nodachi oc cape to shave my head.

This set of settings can prevent me from losing blood, and has a high shaving efficiency, even if the angle is offset, I can fully shave.

Nodachi cap has a noticeable blade feel. I will only use it on my face and be careful enough; I will not put it on areas with skin problems.

The B&B answer to your question is get them all and experiment.

FWIW and in general - large(r) blade GAP enables you to shave effectively with a wide(r) range of angles (steep/shallow alike), while large(r) EXPOSURE provides a closer shave (although this will also depend on your particular shaving technique).

I have both base plates and both top caps with the Masamune handle. The Masamune base with Nodachi top cap is smooth with just the slightest bit of blade feel. This is a mild yet efficient setup. The Nodachi base with Masamune top cap is still smooth, but steps up the efficiency while providing more blade feel. Both combinations could be used daily, but greater care will be needed with the Nodachi base/Masamune top setup if your skin is sensitive.

.....The Masamune base with Nodachi top cap is smooth with just the slightest bit of blade feel. This is a mild yet efficient setup. The Nodachi base with Masamune top cap is still smooth, but steps up the efficiency while providing more blade feel. Both combinations could be used daily, but greater care will be needed with the Nodachi base/Masamune top setup if your skin is sensitive.

nice way of putting it....based on what you've said, I think Masamune Cap with Nodachi Plate
will be nice for me....the other combo sounds like it could be too mild.

I also think the new Tatara Adjustable would effectively cover off the capabilities of both
the above combinations...and then some.

I am very comfortable using hyper-efficient razors like Wolfman WR2 1.55 and WR1 0.94

I like the idea of mixing and matching top caps with base plates to get the desired
razor. For handles, I'll always go for the smaller one and always choose a solid
bar.

So here are my options:

1. Masamune top cap with Nodachi baseplate
This marries a milder top cap to a more aggressive plate. Blade gap is high, blade exposure is low.
(Gap: 0.90mm / Exposure: -0.03mm)

2. Nodachi top cap with Masamune baseplate
This marries a more aggressive top cap to a milder plate. Blade gap is low, blade exposure is high.
(Gap: 0.63mm / Exposure: 0.00mm)

What would be the characteristics of the above razors respectively, if described more expressively,
and in tangible terms?

Surely both cannot be the same. Although when I think about it, it feels like both the above options
will deliver a shave that falls in the middle of the Masamune and Nodachi.

Can someone who has experimented with this mix 'n match thing fill in some of these blanks for me?

From memory, only have Masamune parts right now but thinking of getting another Nodachi cap:

Ranked purely for smoothness I find it pretty much follows the change in blade exposure

Masamune plate/cap -0.13
Nodachi plate/Masamune cap -0.03
Masamune plate/Nodachi cap neutral
Nodachi plate/cap +0.13

For my face, they are not the same, I could absolutely tell the difference between neutral and -0.03. I place less stock in gap than blade exposure. I also have the Hone Type 15, large gap (1.2mm) and neutral exposure.

Top Bottom