What's new

Getting a Haircut during this Crisis, Hmmm?

I'm curious what tricks you guys use at the neckline to get a nice straight & level edge. I fade down to a #2 guard. I've been using a great big rubber band that I ordinarily use for file folders (it's about 5" in diameter). It works fine, but I'm guessing there is a better way.

I wanted to get some buzz cut clippers but my wife wouldn't let me. Now I haven't had a haircut in a year and a half!

Occasionally I get together with friends from all over on zoom. We compare our "covid hair". When this is all over we're gonna start a metal band!

I just bought cordless Wahl Color Pro hair-cut set last year, and my wife was surprised at how well it comes out. Comes with a dozen different guards of varying lengths, including a left & right ear (tapered). You can knock out a good looking shave in maybe 5 minutes. - Zip around each ear, from the base of the neck with the ear guards, zip along the bottom of the neck with the to get it tapered, then progressive increase the guard going up the back & sides. Clip along the top with one of the longer ones, viola, nice hair cut.

For the area below the neck hairline, I lather up, place my hand along the desired line, and swipe downwards from the hand, to get a that freshly shaved feeling, just like the barber does with the strait.

It's super easy, best $25 I've spend during the pandemic for personal hygiene.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
progressive increase the guard going up the back & sides.
You make it sound easy! I have been cutting my own hair in that way for about five years and I still get a visible line where I change the guard. The wife always has to tidy it up no matter how good a job I think I have done. Ask her to do the whole haircut from start to finish and the answer is 'no'. That's women for you. 😆

It's the angled or progressive guard, it really helps the base of the neck, giving a nice sort of ramp-up. On the absolute back, I usually only use two or three other guards, and angle the clipper a little. It really is pretty easy, once you've done it a couple of times. - The scary part was taking the razor to the back of the neck the first time, sort of doing it blind and by feel. (Mirrors don't help, with the imaged reversed).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm curious what tricks you guys use at the neckline to get a nice straight & level edge. I fade down to a #2 guard. I've been using a great big rubber band that I ordinarily use for file folders (it's about 5" in diameter). It works fine, but I'm guessing there is a better way.

I've tried various things.

Whether any are better than a 5" rubber band I don't know.

1620753832790.png

Some of the things I've tried were not worth the money, but his one is heavy duty and actually stays in place (it's not comfortable, but it's only on for a couple of minutes so it is bearable).

Link to Amazon vendor.

The link above gives a good bit of information about how to use it, but mostly it is pretty obvious.

Happy shaves,

Jim

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I've tried various things.

Whether any are better than a 5" rubber band I don't know.

View attachment 1265070

Some of the things I've tried were not worth the money, but his one is heavy duty and actually stays in place (it's not comfortable, but it's only on for a couple of minutes so it is bearable).

Link to Amazon vendor.

The link above gives a good bit of information about how to use it, but mostly it is pretty obvious.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I am amazed that product exists! There is even a NekmateEvo+ Deluxe version 🤣

I taper down to #1 at the edges, around the back and sideburns. Then, use a trimmer to trim close to the hairline using a pair of mirrors to see what I'm doing. With short hair, I think it looks better to follow the natural hairline as long as it is symmetrical. Having an obvious straightedge line across the back does not look natural. I'm sure you've seen these guys who trim the edges of their beard with geometric shapes -- same principle, it looks unnatural.

I have been using a Robocut or Flowbee for years but at the start of the Pandemic I bought Remington clippers and cut my hair shorter, and that's mostly what I've been using since. I've had a few lousy cuts but it's been acceptable enough for the few times I've gone anywhere.

I agree with what Atlantic59 said... it's better to follow the hair line. Having bits that aren't perfectly straight is also OK because a good haircut with shears/scissors (which is the gold standard for how haircuts are really done) won't be perfectly even, either. Eventually, you just develop a feel for perceiving the back of your head, without a mirror.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today I cut my hair again. This time my wife helped.

My last previous haircut was May 1st.

I could argue I needed a haircut (or at least a small trim) in early June, but here it is late July. In other words I let my hair get way out of hand. It went through several stages over the weeks and weeks.
  • Some stages were really bad looking.
  • Some, moderately bad looking.
  • Some, not so bad.
  • Finally it looked actually pretty good other than at the back of my neck where it looked horrible to me, and probably everyone else. It also looked unkempt around my ears where a trim was clearly needed.
Partly I let it go so long out of sheer laziness coupled with a busy life.

Mostly I let it go so long because I decided I wanted to let it grow some. I want my hair much the same as it's been for years, but perhaps longer on the sides and in the back, so I had to let it grow.

I've not previously tried to get my wife to help me with my hair, but today she gave me advice going into the hair cut. Her advice was the very standard but accurate advice, "You can always cut more off, but you can't add it back" to under do the cutting. Her comment was in response to my question of whether she wanted my hair long or short. I was fishing for long, and that's what she said she wanted.

[Long here means a little long for a professional's or businessman's haircut.]

She helped a little with the back of my head and my neck and a little around the ears. Also with advice before, during, and after.

Neither of us think it's perfect but it may be my most successful DIY haircut.

Frankly most of my DIY haircuts have been quite good.

Today I used both the professional clippers and the scissors and shears. As I've mentioned, there's a learning curve which should start with videos and other homework before any tools touch your hair.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Since my barber closed down and moved 10 miles away, I've still been cutting my own hair monthly with my Wahl clippers from Costco. I've settled on a #7 guard (7/8 inch) for everything except the top of my head, where I use scissors.

I no longer need to use a second mirror when cutting the back, but I do use the second mirror to check my results.

As far as getting a straight line on the neck, I use a cart or DE to even it out. For this, I do use a second morror.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As old hairs stop growing, drop out, and start again, the overall growth of my hair appears to have slowed significantly recently. Add to this occasional localised trimming of ends, if any area seems to get knotted up regularly, and overall change is much slower now than it was. Nett growth is still happening though, and the fringe is now over 500mm (20" in old numbers), and nearer 600mm (24") on top.

I did think about trying to give it an overall trim myself, but trying to keep things even when the hair is so far down the back, seems fraught with problems. Also, if I went for a professional trim of the "ends", I'd probably lose about 4" of length, as not much percentage of the hair that length is still in the growing phase. It's either resting, or has dropped out, started again, and is playing catch up.

It seems to me that time to reach terminal length, is 2x whatever your hair life is. So if it takes seven years for a few hairs to reach their maximum, it takes another seven years for the rest to catch up. Any trimming at this stage will probably unbalance all that, yet it's still something I am occasionally tempted to do.

As old hairs stop growing, drop out, and start again, the overall growth of my hair appears to have slowed significantly recently. Add to this occasional localised trimming of ends, if any area seems to get knotted up regularly, and overall change is much slower now than it was. Nett growth is still happening though, and the fringe is now over 500mm (20" in old numbers), and nearer 600mm (24") on top.

I did think about trying to give it an overall trim myself, but trying to keep things even when the hair is so far down the back, seems fraught with problems. Also, if I went for a professional trim of the "ends", I'd probably lose about 4" of length, as not much percentage of the hair that length is still in the growing phase. It's either resting, or has dropped out, started again, and is playing catch up.

It seems to me that time to reach terminal length, is 2x whatever your hair life is. So if it takes seven years for a few hairs to reach their maximum, it takes another seven years for the rest to catch up. Any trimming at this stage will probably unbalance all that, yet it's still something I am occasionally tempted to do.
Trimming off the split ends every so often is a good and healthy thing for your hair, IMHO. You shouldn't loose much length and the hair will be evened out somewhat.

Trimming off the split ends every so often is a good and healthy thing for your hair, IMHO. You shouldn't loose much length and the hair will be evened out somewhat.

I upgraded my homemade 3-way mirror by adding some LED lights. I bought a 15' string of self-adhesive LED lights at home depot for $15. The whole upgrade only took about 5 minutes. You peel the back, stick it on the mirror, plug it into the wall, and voila! What a difference!

The 3 way mirror makes doing the sides and back a breeze, but adding a ton of light lets you see a ton of things you couldn't see otherwise. The transitions between guards are way easier now, and I'm getting seamless tapers/fades way better than my barber used to do. Light makes a big difference. Well worth the $ and braindead simple to do.

proxy.php

The 3-way mirror itself was easy make. It took about 30 minutes. There are some great tutorials on youtube with simple instructions. The aluminum straps let it hang from a door while in use, and put back in the closet for storage when done. I used the following materials from Home Depot (with rough prices):

12"x12 mirror tiles $8
Hinges (4) $6
1/4" x 2'x4' plywood $8
Epoxy $7
Aluminum bar 1"x 1/8"x 4' $6
15 String LED lights $15

Total $53

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It hasn't been an issue for me, I just grab the clippers and cut my own hair.
It's really not hard, anyone could do it.
Pretty good. PM me if you want tips on how I manage.

wp-content.jpg

It hasn't been an issue for me, I just grab the clippers and cut my own hair.
It's really not hard, anyone could do it.
Pretty good. PM me if you want tips on how I manage.

View attachment 1302125

Reminds me in Basic our platoon training Seargent told us that we had to get our hair cut from the Base barber (women excepted) and that he could tell a barracks cut a mile away...I'm guessing this was how. 🤣

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Cut my hair again today.

My previous haircut was a couple of months ago.

Todays's effort was a struggle frankly. I noticed pulling with my blade (an Oster 76 000) and it wasn't cutting right. That's an issue since it goes under and works with my guards (combs). Still, I managed.

Following the haircut I ordered another 000 blade. I think there's an alignment issue with the blade I have. Apparently this can happen from what I read. I'll see if I can figure out how to align it. It won't hurt to have two 000 blades. Still, I'm not happy to have issues with relatively new kit.

Mostly I only use the 000 blade with guards. I have other blades but they aren't necessary with my system. Not to say I won't eventually find a need for them.

I used shears, too. Had a little help with the back of my head and my neck from my wife. (I'm happy she's decided to assist; for a long time she wouldn't.)

Frankly I thought the haircut was probably my worst effort so far. (During the haircut.) However, the results were good. I have no post-haircut complaints.

I have yet to build my mirror. Lazy. Etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I still haven't had a trim since the start of the pandemic. Neither local barber, nor a DIY job. I already had fairly long-ish hair to begin with, but it seems I might have just about maxed out on growth now, just short of waist length if straightened. If this is indeed terminal length, or close to it, I don't expect go get a haircut in the next 12 months either.

Top Bottom