What's new

Bowl Lathering For Travel

Hello Gentlemen of the Forum,

For those who enjoy bowl lathering, what is your favorite bowl to use while traveling? What other items are must haves when traveling? What kind of bag do you use to pack your gear?

Do any of you pack the Captain’s Choice bowl for your travels?

I used one of those little highball glasses (or even the plastic ones) the hotel provides until I started face lathering.

The foldable pet water dishes would be a great solution IMO. Dirt cheap, compact and have Ridges/bumps on the bottom. Like they are made for shaving.

I usually face lather, but for bowl lathering an easy solution is to order some takeout Chinese food...or maybe something from the deli...

1620358164571.png
1620358510752.png

There is a bowl at the Dollar tree that's more of a v shape, than a u shape, and it's made of melamine.

It does have a flat bottom but otherwise the v shape makes it the perfect size to go in the corner of your suitcase and so it takes up virtually no room. I have used and enjoyed that with great success while traveling. I even glued a few glass beads to the bottom to create some texturing.

I have the silicone dog bowl too. For me, the one with the nubs that is designed to make dogs eat their food slowly, is a little too aggressive in the nub department. But even if the nubs weren't there, the silicone made me feel a drag while I was working the brush along the surface and I just feel like that extra pull is or could be detrimental to the hairs and stressing them laterally too much. But that's just a guess that I'm making. Otherwise the shape and collapsibility is obviously perfect for traveling.

(Sent from mobile)

linty1

My wallet cries.
I'm in the travel -> less is more packing wise. When we travel we only do carry on's (you're allowed more than you think! Carry on lugguage, backpack and a purse/satchel for each person) a synth brush would be the max I carry and just face lather. If you were gunna bring a plain cup/mug etc you might as well scavenge at the hotel/place for something like that.

I think something like a timeless bowl with a puck nestled into it would be dandy and do you just fine, maybe shove a little baby towel (the ones that aren't much bigger than two palms) just to cover/wrap a wet soap, and you have somewhere to place your stuff. I bet if you had one of those travel gillette techs with the short handle? It might even all fit into that timeless bowl. But honestly? Just the brush and your razor. You can hunt the rest. And the brush is prob a luxury item tbh.

Love my timeless bowl. Great for home use and travel! Virtually indestructible, and it’s only $12. What @linty1 said above, I put a soap and whatever else will fit in it into my Dopp kit. Works for me 👍

I used one of those little highball glasses (or even the plastic ones) the hotel provides until I started face lathering.

The foldable pet water dishes would be a great solution IMO. Dirt cheap, compact and have Ridges/bumps on the bottom. Like they are made for shaving.
I usually face lather but this might be a pretty good option. I had not thought of doing this but might give it a try out later today. The bowls that our dogs use are small without the "nubs" mentioned. could be perfect.

While I haven’t found the need for a travel bowl, I did notice that Stirling has a collapsible silicone bowl that I’m tempted to try just cause it looks neat. Very affordable if I remember correctly.

Just took a 10-day trip and packed my ceramic scuttle that I use every day along with an Omega boar brush/stand, Proraso Green and Cella for variety. I packed the scuttle between some clothes and checked the bag. I don't see a reason not to take it along and enjoy it. BTW, the hot water in Colorado provided a GREAT shave in the scuttle. Would've melted a take out bowl!

Like others have said, traveling is a good time for face lathering, but if you want to stick to a bowl I'd prioritize something cheap. There's always the chance you'll lose something / leave something behind / have your luggage lost or stolen / &c while traveling, so I'd prioritize something that's sturdy enough not to break while traveling while also not being that sad if you suddenly lost it. You might see if your local Goodwill / other thrift store has any metal or sturdy plastic bowls for cheap.

IMHO, I got what I consider the gold standard travel shave bowl. Takes up nearly zero space, since it collapses to flat. Nearly zero weight, since it is only 2 ounces (I weighed it). It makes nearly the best lather of the 6 bowls (+ 1 PAA scuttle) in my collection, since it has nubs on the bottom. Also, it is deep and the lather stays inside the bowl. I got it on ebay from the only seller in N America which has all 8 colors to choose from. I got 2 for the price of most other bowls... "Collapsible Travel Shaving Bowl - Shave Bowl, 100% Food-Grade Silicon". Came from somewhere in Ohio, with free shipping.

Top Bottom