What's new

New Seiko Kinetic

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I know I posted this already in the Watch ya wearing thread, but I wanted to crow and fanboy a little.

Seiko Kinetic Model SKA791P1 movement 5M82
What first attracted me to it (like a junior high schoolboy to his pretty history teacher) is the brilliant rich green dial. That and the brown leather strap, which, I think, compliments it perfectly.

Plus, it's a Kinetic, which I've wanted for a while. For those if you who don't know what a Kinetic is, I'll explain. It's basically a combination of a mechanical, auto-windning movement & quartz technology. Instead of powering the hands directly, the movement charges a long lasting, rechargeable battery, which, in turn, powers the quartz movement.

Specs claim .5 second a day, which is not as good as my Seiko "I forget what model" quartz chronograph; that one is accurate to .3 seconds a day. BUT, so far, the Kinetic is exceeding its specs by more than a buttload. It's only been 5 days (arrived Sunday afternoon), so I realize it's a relatively small sample to average out.

When I set it to NIST (the Government Time Gurus) atomic time around 3pm or so, I missed exact time by 2 seconds slow. When I checked it about an hour ago, it was about 2 seconds slow. It may have gained .2/.25 seconds in the last 5 days. If I'm doing the math correctly in my head, that averages out too around .05 seconds a day, which just doesn't sound right, way more accurate than I would expect. We will see in June.

I have a reminder set for June 1 (I think), which is 30 days; I think that's should give me a real good average daily deviation.

What I really like about it so far:
That beautiful green dial
Very easy to read, excellent contrast between hands and dial
Great band choice, color & material
To check how much charge you have left on the battery, you wait for the second hand to hit 12, then press the upper button. The second hand will advance to one of 4 positions: 5, 10, 20, 30, indicating a charge of, respectively, More than a day, More than a week, More than a month, & Approximately 6 months. It's at full charge now, and I think daily wear will keep it charged.
The inner "ring", which connect the 5-minute markers around the dial, is reminiscent of the Omega Constellation Pie Pan dials from the '50s-'60s
Did I mention that beautiful green dial?

What I dislike about it
Will, doggone it, Martha, nothing

I don't think I'll need to post in Watch ya Wearing again for quite a while. Barring an unfortunate incident, this could be my Grail Watch, although, if I come upon an early '70s Omega Speedmaster Pro with original, period bracelet, at a price I'm willing to pry out of my bank account, that could change.

Fanboy rant over.

0502211335_HDR~2.jpg

I'm curious about kinetics, can they be charged by swirling? I know with automatic movement, swirling a watch (in a manner similar to swirling a glass of wine) can move the rotor to help wind the mainspring. Does that also work for kinetic movements?

I've also read some people used various wireless charging devices to charge their kinetic movement watches in the past. A couple ad hoc chargers that stick out in my mind are an electric toothbrush charging stand and wireless electric candle charging bases.

captp

Yes, they can. That's how I spent a good part of Sunday afternoon & Monday, whirling it back and forth while watching mindless YouTube videos. Got it up from around a month to full , about 6 months.
I never heard about charging on a wireless charger

There is no rotor in it that goes round it feels more like a back and forth motion. I guess it’s a weight on tracks that moves with your wrist movements. The manual says you have to shake it for initial charging.

Frankly it’s a cool approach to watch movements but Citziens EcoDrive works so effortlessly and without any moving parts...
B9EFE741-F07E-4FB3-BE18-A61D544F3EFC.jpeg

569871B0-8638-4769-8FC3-A9C078BC84CD.jpeg

There is no rotor in it that goes round it feels more like a back and forth motion. I guess it’s a weight on tracks that moves with your wrist movements. The manual says you have to shake it for initial charging.

Frankly it’s a cool approach to watch movements but Citziens EcoDrive works so effortlessly and without any moving parts...
View attachment 1263550
View attachment 1263551
Eco-drive (or the Seiko solar movement equivalent) is definitely pretty cool. But it satisfies a different kind of watch appreciation niche. Much like how an automatic movement is pretty cool, but satisfies a different kind of watch appreciation niche than a solar/Eco-drive movement or a kinetic movement.

In the case of the automatic and kinetic watches, there's a bit of a "Tamagotchi" effect. That is, the watch depends on the owner/wearer's constant attention/movement to keep it fully powered and working*. With Eco-drive/solar movements, the sun/light powers the watch.

*Even then, the kinetic movement is a little different from an automatic movement since the former is a still battery powered.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great review and very sharp watch! Other than being a cool detail what’s the significance of the red arrow at the date window. I’ve not seen that before.

Eco-drive (or the Seiko solar movement equivalent) is definitely pretty cool. But it satisfies a different kind of watch appreciation niche. Much like how an automatic movement is pretty cool, but satisfies a different kind of watch appreciation niche than a solar/Eco-drive movement or a kinetic movement.

In the case of the automatic and kinetic watches, there's a bit of a "Tamagotchi" effect. That is, the watch depends on the owner/wearer's constant attention/movement to keep it fully powered and working*. With Eco-drive/solar movements, the sun/light powers the watch.

*Even then, the kinetic movement is a little different from an automatic movement since the former is a still battery powered.
I have all those movement types initially starting out with mechanical watches. For me Kinetics are not fish nor fowl so I won’t buy more having one piece in my collection.

Seikos green dials do hit a spot though. I’m eyeing the Alpinist for a while now.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
How so? Are you referring to vintage watch price increases or the newer upgrade version going around $600?
As I recall, the older version could be had for less than $400; the new one, indeed, goes for around $600.
I've not followed the pre-owned market for a number of years, so I cannot comment on those prices.

Jory Goodman ("The Time Teller") has an interesting video on Utube that deals with Seiko's recent pricing strategy.

captp

Great review and very sharp watch! Other than being a cool detail what’s the significance of the red arrow at the date window. I’ve not seen that before.
Not sure what the red arrow means. Didn't see anything in the manual. I should probably reads it more closely. I think it might be an am/pm indicator, but I haven't set the date yet, so I'm not sure.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Not sure what the red arrow means. Didn't see anything in the manual. I should probably reads it more closely. I think it might be an am/pm indicator, but I haven't set the date yet, so I'm not sure.
Let us know if the manual has something on it function wise. I’m assuming it’s just a very cool detail where there’s no cyclops over the date. The red looks cool with the green too.
As I recall, the older version could be had for less than $400; the new one, indeed, goes for around $600.
I've not followed the pre-owned market for a number of years, so I cannot comment on those prices.

Jory Goodman ("The Time Teller") has an interesting video on Utube that deals with Seiko's recent pricing strategy.
I’ll check that out. The vintage market for seiko has exploded along with everything else probably. Plus still much more affordable than other Swiss models. I was reading of the boat load of improvements on the new alpinist such as the movement and sapphire crystal. Seems worth it. If that watch floats your boat. IMO new seiko models are off the charts in quality / value across the board. This op watch is a prime example.

Did the search. Read a little. The one comment I liked was that he liked the watch, but sheesh what pain. To me, it sounds like a lazy man's solution. I'm sure I can keep it charged just by wearing it daily.
Yeah, it's more of a problem for people who enjoy wearing a multitude of watches in their collection. They need some way to keep their kinetic watches charged when not wearing them. Granted, a kinetic movement's battery is supposed to hold a charge for 6 months, but that's when it's brand new and under optimal conditions. There are stories that once the battery dies, it will not hold a full charge anymore. As a result, many kinetic owners (with large watch collections) look for alternative ways to keep their kinetic watches charged.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Nice! I have a Seiko kinetic as well.

this could be my Grail Watch, although, if I come upon an early '70s Omega Speedmaster Pro with original, period bracelet, at a price I'm willing to pry out of my bank account, that could change.

Hmm ... methinks you have already moved on to the next "grail" watch.

1620534723269.png

Eco-drive (or the Seiko solar movement equivalent) is definitely pretty cool. But it satisfies a different kind of watch appreciation niche.

the kintetic watch is for the guy who is working all day in a coal mine. The eco-drive is for the guy who spends all day lying poolside in the sun working on his tan.

Top Bottom