What's new

First Puck of Tabac

I bought two soaps recently and will alternate: Proraso red (which I've used a couple times now) and Tabac (which I will use for the first time next shave). From what I gather reading some funny replies about how long Tabac lasts, I will have this for about as long as I had my MWF--10 years. In fact, there are still small bits of MWF in its ceramic bowl, and I just pushed them to the sides of the bowl and pressed in the Tabac puck. I loved MWF. I hope I will like Tabac as well. There seems to be quite a discussion about its scent. I smelled the puck. Smelled like bath soap to me. I'll see if it smells any different when I lather it up. The Proraso red scent lingered in the bathroom the whole day. (Not a bad thing.)

Not that I use it daily. It's a winter soap, and I use it at least one a week.
+1 It is a winter soap, especially when you live in a hot area.

I love Tabac but I couldn't use it in Summer (current season here).
I will be keeping a few refills as extra, for just in case.

Scent is a treat for me, as I didn't find it anything resembling old ladies purse etc.
It is a bit powdery, but to my liking.

It's performance sets a very high benchmark and I don't see anything coming close to it at that price point.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
+1 It is a winter soap, especially when you live in a hot area.

I love Tabac but I couldn't use it in Summer (current season here).
I will be keeping a few refills as extra, for just in case.

Scent is a treat for me, as I didn't find it anything resembling old ladies purse etc.
It is a bit powdery, but to my liking.

It's performance sets a very high benchmark and I don't see anything coming close to it at that price point.
I would argue that it sets a very high benchmark at ANY price point.

You might get 200 shaves, more or less, from one Tabac puck, so you can do the math. If you don't mind the scent now, you will probably grow to like it more after using it for awhile. The scent strength should taper down after some time.

Both Tabac and Proraso Red are cool weather soaps for me.

Last edited:
I'm also in the camp that really loves the scent. I even got the Tabac deoderant once (not bad fwiw). To me, fall through spring season suits it well, although I'm certain I've reached for it plenty in summer months. It performs exceptionally, as several others here have already pointed out.

I bought two soaps recently and will alternate: Proraso red (which I've used a couple times now) and Tabac (which I will use for the first time next shave). From what I gather reading some funny replies about how long Tabac lasts, I will have this for about as long as I had my MWF--10 years. In fact, there are still small bits of MWF in its ceramic bowl, and I just pushed them to the sides of the bowl and pressed in the Tabac puck. I loved MWF. I hope I will like Tabac as well. There seems to be quite a discussion about its scent. I smelled the puck. Smelled like bath soap to me. I'll see if it smells any different when I lather it up. The Proraso red scent lingered in the bathroom the whole day. (Not a bad thing.)
Excellent choice sir. You can do worse than alternating between proraso red and tabac.

Pro tip: If you end up really liking the Tabac scent (as everyone should :001_tt2: ) Be sure to grab a bottle of the aftershave. Smells exactly the same as the soap, and lasts pretty much all day. Excellent stuff!

I bought the Proraso red aftershave because I liked the scent of the soap. That stuff about knocks me over. So strong. I think I got a bottle of aftershave concentrate.

You might get 200 shaves, more or less, from one Tabac puck, so you can do the math. If you don't mind the scent now, you will probably grow to like it more after using it for awhile. The scent strength should taper down after some time.

Both Tabac and Proraso Red are cool weather soaps for me.
Funny. Two others said Tabac is a winter soap. What makes it a cool weather soap for you? I never thought of a soap as cool or warm weather.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Oh wow I didn't realize tabac had a reputation for lasting that long... I'm glad that I got the stick, although I'm hoping it takes to cutting and pressing into another container well.

Top Bottom