What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

Ok Kennyg2019, I’ve only read the first page of this thread and the last, don’t have the time for the other 20 pages :eek2: so please forgive me if the razors I mention next have already been brought to your attention. All 3 are currently out of production, but can be found used, so perhaps at least one will be a new addition to the thread.

I strongly prefer mild razors that are still effective - the “mild but efficient” moniker is starting to get on my nerves to be honest, seems both inaccurate and waaaay over used for razors that often require a lot more work to get a decent shave with - 3 passes, plus touch ups, and buffing….what’s efficient about that??

Anyway, seems you learned fairly quickly that mild alone isn’t going to cut it, so to speak. In my search for mild but effective razors I have tried a fair number of razors, including but not limited to: Timeless, ATT, Rockwell, RazoRock original Mamba and Baby Smooth, Wolfman WR1, and more. I’ve yet to find anything that beats the following 3 razors that, for me at least, provide the best balance of being mild, but still cutting facial hair relatively close. In reverse order they are:

#3 RazoRock Stealth Slant.
If you ever want to try a slant and you like mild, this is your slant, might even be milder than the other 2 razors on my list.

Any version will do except the stainless steel model (not to be confused with the Wunderbar which is an entirely different razor), that one isn’t so mild, due to the weight. Plenty of reviews on YouTube of the stealth slant.

2. Charcoal Goods Level 2 SB.
I’m sure this has been mentioned previously, and this would be the most aggressive on my list, but not by much, and certainly not an agressive razor overall, just relative to my list. Great razor, no faults, works well with a wide variety of blades and provides more blade feel than my other two picks. This is my go to razor when getting the closest shave is my priority. The level one CG SB razor is good too, but it’s less effective and I don’t really find it to be significantly milder/smoother. Maybe the level 1 with an OC baseplate would be good? I tried to find a lvl 1 OC baseplate for a while, but eventually tired of the chase.

#1. Wolfman Guerrilla SB.
My favorite razor, nothing has been able to unseat it in the last 3-4 years. The CG is close, very close, but the Guerrilla gives me a smoother more comfortable shave, so when keeping irritation low is my top priority, which is most days, The Guerrilla is my go to razor. That said, the CG will cut a bit closer, but with a little less comfort. Wish I could find an open comb Guerrilla as the next step up, but that has eluded me :nonod:

I get better shaves with less irritation from these 3 razors than any of the others I’ve tried in the last 10 years. As always, YMMV.

Granted, none of these razors are currently in production, but they do show up for sale now and then, and you can always ask around, if you run out of readily available razors to try:devil:

Good luck with your search.
I also love the Guerrilla.
I get great comfortable easy shaves from it.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have read this thread with interest and submit that all of these razor face-offs and constant trying of new razors may, to a degree, be self defeating. To me the solution was two parts, selecting a razor that met my criteria as to what I was looking for and then just working with it. My daily driver was selected through triangulation on this site. Although it was beautiful and shaved well right out of the box, with repetition and more repetition it gets better and better. Its predecessor was certainly more comfortable initially, but I tried it the other day for the sake of comparison, and the current razor matches its comfort and easily beats it for efficiency and closeness. In short for a one shave comparison, razor one won. Over weeks, razor two wins. YMMV

I also love the Guerrilla.
I get great comfortable easy shaves from it.

We seem to be in the minority, which is, I suppose, why James stopped making them. It’s too bad really, and I just bought a second in case anything happens to my original.

I even prefer the finish of the Guerrilla to the Polished Wolfman razors, which scratch if you even look at them harshly. More important to me, I feel the brushed finish glides better where the high polish finish tends drag more on the skin.

But we all have our preferences, and there are a gazillion razors out there now to choose from, something for everyone.

We seem to be in the minority, which is, I suppose, why James stopped making them. It’s too bad really, and I just bought a second in case anything happens to my original.

I even prefer the finish of the Guerrilla to the Polished Wolfman razors, which scratch if you even look at them harshly. More important to me, I feel the brushed finish glides better where the high polish finish tends drag more on the skin.

But we all have our preferences, and there are a gazillion razors out there now to choose from, something for everyone.
I'm glad we're in the minority.
It made it easier for me to find one at a reasonable price from someone that didn't love it.
I also prefer the non-polished finish.

Whoa...that looks way too complicated
(and sounds a little too expensive) for me...although my mechanic would love it [emoji7] [emoji1009]

I prefer “simple” 3-piece razors 🪒 that are relatively “cheap”, like the Timeless Ti ($300) [emoji23]

Also, I would be hesitant to pay over $100 to any company in Russia [emoji635]
I think Kensurfs’ got lost in the mail [emoji50]

I just think America [emoji631] and Canada [emoji1063] have too many good offerings at a better price point with the best shipping 🪒[emoji383][emoji574] So...no offense, but unless I hear people say that the Homelike razors are better than Timeless, Blackland, and Henson razors, I wouldn’t even consider it.

But, I’m happy you’re happy [emoji2] [emoji1303]

Timeless is in my top list, and yeah Taiga is better. But I also bought American and Canadian too:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

mtcn77

I prefer the aluminum Lupo to the DLC. I also prefer it to the Henson. It’s more precise and very smooth.
Steep angle is inversely milder when shaving ATG since the razor won't drag the blade below the skin surface. Lupo is a welcome steep shaver, imo. Abstaining from ATG, I give myself negative chances at reaching BBS, unfortunately.

Steep angle is inversely milder when shaving ATG since the razor won't drag the blade below the skin surface. Lupo is a welcome steep shaver, imo. Abstaining from ATG, I give myself negative chances at reaching BBS, unfortunately.
Never thought of it that way before, but you're totally right. I tend to do a one-pass shave, with smaller strokes and usually at a steeper angle, though there are exceptions based on razor.

M

mtcn77

Never thought of it that way before, but you're totally right. I tend to do a one-pass shave, with smaller strokes and usually at a steeper angle, though there are exceptions based on razor.
Yeah, Yaqi Agamemnon is like rough seas, but ATG-wise it is the captain that brings the ship ashore.

I'd have to disagree on the Lupo .72.
It's not even as smooth as the Lupo DLC.
That's interesting, considering the fact that the DCL has a bigger blade gap...0.95 vs 0.72! 🤔

What about the GameChanger .84? I was thinking about getting that because I like the GC .68 so much :thumbsup:

I just realized...I can buy different GC baseplates and use them with the handle and cap I already have :a14:

I'm feeling very smart right now 🤓 But wait...they're SOLD OUT. I'm feeling pretty down right now 😥

It's ok...I put myself on their waiting list. I'm sure I will get one soon! :)

Last edited:
That's interesting, considering the fact that the DCL has a bigger blade gap...0.95 vs 0.72! 🤔

What about the GameChanger .84? I was thinking about getting that because I like the GC .68 so much :thumbsup:

I just realized...I can buy different GC baseplates and use them with the handle and cap I already have :a14:

I'm feeling very smart right now 🤓 But wait...they're SOLD OUT. I'm feeling pretty down right now 😥

For your intents and purposes it would be a mistake going from the .68 to .84.

I would know because I bought the .84 a year ago and just recently bought the .68

The .84 is more aggressive and has more blade feel..not what you're looking for right?

In general, a smaller blade gap usually corresponds to a more milder shave.

Just thought I'd save you the time and money.

The DLC actually has a blade gap of .61 to mimic the standard Wolfman Wr1.

For your intents and purposes it would be a mistake going from the .68 to .84.

I would know because I bought the .84 a year ago and just recently bought the .68

The .84 is more aggressive and has more blade feel..not what you're looking for right?

In general, a smaller blade gap usually corresponds to a more milder shave.

Just thought I'd save you the time and money.
Thank you 🙏🏻

The DLC actually has a blade gap of .61 to mimic the standard Wolfman Wr1.
Thanks. I’ll have to look into the DCL!

Is that the RazoRock Lupo DC? I can't find a DCL razor...only a DC razor...and DCL handle.

Can you please post a link? Thanks.

Last edited:

Well if you need one.... I have both the GC .68p and GC .84p, the .84 I think is leaving the den since it is redundant. It is more aggressive and efficient than the .68.

Sir you are looking for the Razorock Lupo DLC (DLC = diamond-like carbon coating), and not the Razorock DCL

I believe Razorock made other DLC razors, so better to specify your request (also in the BST I see your post)

Top Bottom