What's new

Best TOBS cream?

9B8EF370-DE48-4052-97B0-7E5BAC77F97E.jpeg

Used the Tobacco Leaf this evening and enjoyed the heck out of it. One of my favorites 💈🖖🏼💈

I ordered the Lime Zest. Rose is something I don't have any of. Maybe the Rose would be worth a try. Anyone have any experience with the Rose?

I love TOBS rose, but mainly out of nostalgia. It's a pretty middle-of-the-road rose, and roses can vary a lot, since most rose scents use artificial fragrance oil and not essential oil. (I think a few of the more expensive rose soaps on the market use EO, like Le Pere Lucien Rose de Pushkar and maybe Zingari No 1, but mostly more expensive artisan offerings, definitely not something like TOBS.) Among FO rose offerings, TOBS has always struck me as a relatively restrained, tame rose...honestly, if you want a comparable rose FO cream, I'd say Cyril Salter Wild Rose is probably your best bet...it's a bit more, well, wild than TOBS.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Cyril Salter Wild Rose is almost $10 more than TOBS. Anyone use the Geo F. Trumper Rose? That's more in line with TOBS price point wise.

I think there is avocado in it...at least, avocado makes my face burn, and TOBS avocado definitely set off that reaction, unlike other TOBSes.
Unfortunately, unlike a lot of other TOBS creams which do have extracts from their scents namesakes, Avocado has 0 avocado extracts or product derived from avocados. It is just artificial fragrance. It's why despite enjoying the scent a lot and having no qualms with the performance (I found it to be baseline average for TOBS) I rated it quite lowly compared to the other creams in their line-up. It's probably why they discontinued it...wouldn't be surprised to see a cucumber TOBS cream with some actual cucumber extract in it get released in the near future.

Unfortunately, unlike a lot of other TOBS creams which do have extracts from their scents namesakes, Avocado has 0 avocado extracts or product derived from avocados. It is just artificial fragrance. It's why despite enjoying the scent a lot and having no qualms with the performance (I found it to be baseline average for TOBS) I rated it quite lowly compared to the other creams in their line-up. It's probably why they discontinued it...wouldn't be surprised to see a cucumber TOBS cream with some actual cucumber extract in it get released in the near future.

Unless it's been changed lately, here's the ingredients WCS lists for TOBS Avocado:

INGREDIENTS: Water, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Persea Gratissima, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, CI 19410, (Parfum contains: Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropi-onal, Citronellol, Geraniol)

Persea Gratissima is the INCI name for Avocado.

Cyril Salter Wild Rose is almost $10 more than TOBS. Anyone use the Geo F. Trumper Rose? That's more in line with TOBS price point wise.

It's been a while since I've used the Trumper rose, but I don't remember being impressed with it. I'd go for TOBS over Trumper, if Cyril Salter is too expensive.

I have both TOBS and GFT Rose creams. The TOBS is a very faint, dry rose while the GFT rose is a stronger, more pronounced sweeter rose.

Unless it's been changed lately, here's the ingredients WCS lists for TOBS Avocado:

Persea Gratissima is the INCI name for Avocado.
Mine was definitely different. [Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Parfum (Benzyl Salicylate, Butylphenyl Methylpropi-onal, Citronellol, Geraniol), Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone. ] Perhaps they reformulated it at some point? I don't know whether I got an old one or a new one though.

Avocado is my favorite. Lathers great! The only other TOB I have is Jermyn Street Sensitive, which is fine but not as good. I was disappointed that the Avocado is discontinued.

So far I have tried:

Jermyn Street
Sandalwood
Eton College
Peppermint
Grapefruit
Lemon & Lime
Lime Zest
Cedarwood

The only one I'm not so keen on is the Lemon & Lime as, to my nose, it smells like washing up liquid. Performance wise they're all great.

Next on the list to try are Tobacco Leaf and St James....

I always liked their sandalwood.... apparently some people genetically can't smell real sandalwood, and I guess I'm one of those people. Back when Queen Charlotte's Soaps was around I got a tub of their sandalwood (which used real oil) and I couldn't smell a thing. I sold it to someone here on the forums who said it smelled really good. I couldn't detect a thing. But the TOBS sandalwood smells really nice to me (unless they've reformulated it... I stocked up way too much 8 years ago and am still working my way through things).

I also really liked almond. Reminded me of Christmas cookies or something. I liked Avocado too, but that's been discontinued.

I have two unopened wooden bowls of the TOBS sandalwood shave soap and two additional unopened refills because I stocked up too much. It looks like those go for around $48 and $17 now, respectfully? I may have to offer those on the BST. I like the scent but man I stocked up too much.

Avocado is my favorite. Lathers great! The only other TOB I have is Jermyn Street Sensitive, which is fine but not as good. I was disappointed that the Avocado is discontinued.

Avacado might be the best performing of all the TOBS creams. The one time I used it, I got the most incredibly cushioned, yet slick lather when super-lathered with MWF. Upon hearing that TOBS discontinued the Avocado, I ordered a tub and it arrived this morning.

Top Bottom