What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

As always, each of us has a unique beard and technique. I found I could get great shaves with an AS-D2 using Personna platinums or Crystals, but it took some time and patience. The razor does indeed tame the Feather blade. I shifted to the ATT SSR-1 and find it extremely comfortable and requiring much less work to get BBS.
Well I tried the feather with the feather blade because well the name says it all :) I have tried feather in my Merkur 34c and my ambassador and both were not as good as the few other blades I have tried in the limited time I have had on DE razors and feel maybe I for sure need to go to another blade with the feather as-d2
so good to hear what some others like ?
My ambassador I had best luck with gillette in the blue package platinum I think they are ? So going to try those and also the persona you mention as I had OK with one of those I think will have to double check :) I need to start making better notes more just to dial in the ONES I like :)

for sure going to have to try the ATT shavers :)

Myself and a few others used the DE1/Bali 176 for the AFFCC this month, and I can definitely say that it performs well above it's price point.
Is this it?

1E4E0AD6-5E3E-490B-A1AE-F6D3F4B222B9.jpeg

Bold part made me think :) AHA moment for my goatee edge ! and getting close clean edge small but thanks
and agree about the nostrils :) I freaking hate that part
the ambassador you can see the edge and it comes in more at a angle allowing you to get right to the blade edge the henson and the feather are more protected was my did not notice but I can see why I was catching a bit more with the ambassador now ? So going to make mental note on that when using again ! My learning moment today :)

again I do not claim to be some DE expert I am new to this and learning my personality is obsessive beyond belief and when I get into something I tend to go all in !

this thread has been great learning I might say being new this has been the best thread yet as the basics of how to shave ? Well that is easy learned and at 57 even throw away blades I know my face my hard spots etc...
also I think like movie reviews if when I find common ground with someone and they recomend something I can think OK that will be closer maybe but if they are opposite not that their view is wrong just does not fit with me
I think ya all know what I mean by that and feel the same :)

I really appreciate this thread. Everyone is different but reading reviews by others really helps you figure out which razors work for you. I suppose I prefer a bit more aggression and weight than kennyg2019 but still leaning towards the milder side. Also, I got two great shaves in with my new Karve bronze razor with B plate. I’d say the Karve offers a similar shave to the Tatara but with less precision due to it’s thicker safety bar - like driving a big sports car vs a smaller one - equally excellent but different. This thread helped me buy the Karve with confidence because I knew I preferred the Mamba 70 to the Mamba 53 and worked from there. In addition, I must say it’s critical for me to be able to get a close shave under and around my nostrils. Razors that leave the blade tabs exposed usually work better for me because the ends of the blade are closer to the edge of the razor. This lets me scoop around each nostril. The Mamba is an exception because it has a very slim head that gets right inside my nostril.

My three favorite razors (at the moment) are relatively mild (left to right) Tatara Masamune, Karve B plate and Razorock Mamba 70. These are my ratings using Kennyg2019’s system (perfect for evaluating razors):

Tatara Masamune
(Comfort 8.5/Efficiency 8.5)

Karve B plate
(Comfort 8.5/Efficiency 8.5)

Mamba 70
(Comfort 9/Efficiency 7.5)

Last edited:
So my shave with the Feather today was uhhhh OK kinda bummed it was not better as I love the Japan side of it silly I know but I was mentally wanting it to take the lead ! I say that because I did have a bias in my mind but I will never let that get in the way of my actual decisions !

In quick
now this is 1 shave in on each so I could change my mind but think its good to hear first impression

I give the lead to my purple Henson !

Comfort: the Henson is more comfortable

Ease of use: the Feather as the angles do not seem to need to be as precise

Efficiency: is really close as I really remember being in about the same spot after each pass as yesterday with Henson but the fact I decided to hold off on the 4th pass was that comfort was not there ! I do plan on doing a 4 pass with the feather but that was not today spolied by Henson comfort maybe :)

and 7 hours later when writing this feeling my face only the left side has a few tiny smooth areas (closer shave with sharper feather) but feeling quite a bit of stubble now all over and if I had rub my neck I can tell the shave was a touch sensitive compared to yesterday

Blade feel I do not think matters to me as comfort or efficiency
I say this as a newbie so sorry if wrong :) hahahaah my Ambassador I can really feel the blade and had a more comfortable closer shave with gillette blue than I did the feather less irritation in the neck BBS super long lasting like 12 hours long smooth etc. now I have used the ambassador more so I have it more dialed in but again blade feel did not relate to comfort
so blade feel to me is something you do or do not feel and is its own character

———- end of quick————-

—————- start long rambling part———————

I did 3 passes and called it good with a couple extra strokes to touch up

all comparisons are going to be to the Henson which yesterday was the Astra green blade just to compare the two

feather was loaded up with the feather blade

1st pass WTG I was like OK a bit more feel than the Henson but nice smooth the H takes more precise angle I feel but both did the same job on first pass the feather for sure a touch more blade feel

2nd pass XTG and OHHH AHHHH two weepers I usually only get this on the ATG so was like HUH !!!
one on lower neck and I could feel the sensitive neck feel that I get with the (ambassador)
SO I think OK going to continue this left half my face with this blade and for my other half try another blade ? So finishing up the passes with feather blade has more blade feel and not as comfortable because of that but is more forgiving on the angles and I could ride the cap a touch easier
I did read you can press a bit more on the feather so I did try that on my safe zone the cheeks and yeah changing angle and pressing a touch more worked so will say a bit easier to use
NOW the right side finish was with the astra green blades about the same as far as feel and comfort and efficiency and ease of use so going to say the weepers were bum luck or blade no idea ?

3rd pass ATG OK left side or feather side ! The henson has been the only razor I can do my upper lip on without a issue otherwise I just do the XTG and am happy enough so ya know :)
SO here goes with the feather above the lip ATG and OUCH weeper time and bit of blood arrgghhh anyway I tear through ATG anyway and not so comfy for sure a step down from the Henson in comfort for me in my super tender above the lip area ! So finish off the left side and change the blade to the Astra to do the right and my upper lip again not so comfy (the Henson was more comfortable) now will this happen with my 3nd 3rd 4th shave as I learn them a bit more will be the key :) so finish off right side and seemed about the same

Did not get a good BBS but I will call it %80 BBS but was only 3 passes and comparing to the 3 passes of yesterday before I did the 4th my memory says I was in about the same spot ?

NOW clean up and put on alum to feel the areas and yeah this was way more irritating than yesterdays mega pass shave :)

I said in post above had tried feathers before and had bad shaves in 3 other razors I read they get shaper 1 shave in and some have issues with them

I did notice my left side that used the feather was a bit closer feeling and smoother just after the shave but had the same few patches that could have been touched up so same efficiency but the new sharper feather I am going to think did a better cleaner job on whiskers :)

I did not care about the used astra as I was already 1 pass in
I did think of that but the experiment was kinda compromised already :)

————-end of rambling——————

tomorrow I was thinking of doing half face with Feather razor the other half with Henson both would be loaded with a new astra
OR doing the Henson with the feather since I had issues with that blade today or I think it was the blade :) those are my tough life decisions hahahahahahaha

————— reckon this is a one time thing to say—————-

I am trying to find in order of importance and chances are wont bring this up again but figured I would mention it
1) the most comfortable razor (my face did not feel I shaved as I prefer to shave daily for now at least)

2) efficient I want to get it done with comfort and OK with 2,3,4 passes as long as its comfortable I like doing this and if I end up with a ambassador that can do it in 2 and be a fun challenge that day or the henson that takes 3-4 I am OK with both ways of shaving :)

3) ease of use I am ok learning angles and or riding cap or guard etc... Learning the razor to say is part of the fun I reckon of individual razors is to learn them

4) blade feel could care less that said only have shaved with 5 razors and I do not think it relates to comfort ? I do think it might relate to efficiency in a way BUT more important Its just what the razor is and how its made and part of choosing one you like is how it feels and what it does for you :)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
4) blade feel could care less that said only have shaved with 5 razors and I do not think it relates to comfort ? I do think it might relate to efficiency in a way BUT more important Its just what the razor is and how its made and part of choosing one you like is how it feels and what it does for you
Blade feel can change drastically with a change of soap and how well the lather has been hydrated. A thick creamy lather will cushion a sharp blade, whereas a thin runny lather will make it's presence known.

Blade feel can change drastically with a change of soap and how well the lather has been hydrated. A thick creamy lather will cushion a sharp blade, whereas a thin runny lather will make it's presence known.

Yup more saying all things the same comparing one razor to the other or general character how it is built :)
as example other things can make it more comfy and of course a big one being the blade we choose or the soap as you said
so even if a razor has a lot of blade feel or exposure it can still be comfy and if it does not have as much it can be uncomfortable is what I seem to be noticing so far ;) hope that makes sense

Last edited:
Curious then in order what your top 3 - 5 razors would be ? :)

I know ya said this
Timeless Titanium SB .68, Henson AL13, Karve SB B plate and the Yates M.

so not sure if it was those in that order or :)
for sure we all have our personal likes so just curious :)
Close, this would be my list:
1. Timeless Titanium SB .68
2. Henson AL13
3. Karve SB B plate
4. Timeless Stainless SB .68
5. Yates M

All mild and smooth.

Well todays shave Henson AL13 against the Feather AS-D2 both new astra green box blades

Well the Henson is still solid in the lead and pulling ahead even more !

4 pass shave for both left side Henson right side Feather doing the same strokes

the Henson
super BBS like the ones I would usually have to really work at and would take extra touch ups
all the tough spots along my goatee edge on jaw line my upper lip NICE !

so really my 4th pass on this was more a clean up pass that did give me that %100 and I could have easily skipped it and been happy for a normal good enough day with most parts being super smooth and the couple touch up parts no biggy as they would be so close to perfect why bother

The angles of course today I knew what was up and was easier to use (thought it would be) but it for sure has a smaller sweet spot but IMHO that is not a big deal so it might be more boring to some as not as much techy nerd shaving things to do riding the cap riding the bar etc... sure ya all know what I mean by that :)
I do think that stuff is kinda fun still but can also see it just being old some days so this to me is a positive not a negative and very unique so far with just how forgiving and comfy this is and can see those who do not really like it why they do not !

The price I can get it in colors its aluminum(light) I think it could be a great razor to have on hand and might be the perfect camping razor for me nice light forgiving and so insane smooth I could still shave if sunbrun or windburnt etc... :) this and a tube of cremo to just put on with fingers !

The feather
the jaw line the goatee line near jaw and the upper lip all my trouble spots I did not go back and clean up and the 4th pass did not quite get them it would have just taken a tiny clean up ? but wanted to do the same for both sides !
My super tender upper lip I did and was OK but felt it more than the henson so that is good but not as good !
The jaw line I can feel I would need to touch that up and the goatee line just could not get that clean line coming up around the jaw line so not a clean all over BBS but the main areas are but would for sure need some extra clean up
! Could really tell the difference of the two razors !
My lower neck is irritated ! and my upper lip while I could do the ATG its not quite as clean as the other side and I can kinda feel I did it !
I do think the feather could work for some people so its worth trying out I love the build the looks the feel in hand
while I could try a few other blades and most likely find one that works in it ? Might try the ones suggested or the Kai I kinda say WHY when the Henson is already doing a better job and with green astra that are really cheap blades to buy and is half the price ? Now if I want a Ti Henson it wont be as cheap but then again its a TI at that point :) so yeah I think since I have 3 razorocks sitting waiting to compare and the comfort is just flat out not there compared to henson for me its going back to the Amazon jungle of returns !

I am sad as again I wanted it to work :( but oh well excited to move forward and narrow down my best mild razor choice :)

Close, this would be my list:
1. Timeless Titanium SB .68
2. Henson AL13
3. Karve SB B plate
4. Timeless Stainless SB .68
5. Yates M

All mild and smooth.

can I ask you or anyone reading :) the Timeless Ti what plate do you have for the .68
and did you try all 3 and thoughts on them ?
I understand each one can be a touch more aggressive which makes sense and the Karve I know they say the same thing figure one plate for going from solid to comb

also polished or not ? I prefer the matte finish and hear folks saying they think the polish is smoother ? Some say its not they cant tell so personal I know so just curious about personal opinion (I did a search read all the threads I think there are here and a few other forums)

My next step :)
I think I will narrow down my 3 razorocks and compare to the Henson and the Yates coming in at some point and then maybe order the timeless ti 68 and I kinda want to try all 3 plates with that one just to know :) I might start out with the scallop as I like the look and the scallop top and then know if I want a bit less or a bit more I can go either way as the middle starting point kinda thing
and then ATT after that maybe ?

does seem like the Karve would be fun to try but also IF the timelss worked for me would I care guess cross that bridge when I get there :) doohhhhhh so much to do and try and still doing soaps and creams and AS and brushes ! Hahahahaha

Last edited:
Hi guys.
It looks like the Henson AL13 has choice of aggressiveness except mild and medium.
What version of AL13 are you using?
Thank you.

Last edited:

can I ask you or anyone reading :) the Timeless Ti what plate do you have for the .68
and did you try all 3 and thoughts on them ?
I understand each one can be a touch more aggressive which makes sense and the Karve I know they say the same thing figure one plate for going from solid to comb

also polished or not ? I prefer the matte finish and hear folks saying they think the polish is smoother ? Some say its not they cant tell so personal I know so just curious about personal opinion (I did a search read all the threads I think there are here and a few other forums)

My next step :)
I think I will narrow down my 3 razorocks and compare to the Henson and the Yates coming in at some point and then maybe order the timeless ti 68 and I kinda want to try all 3 plates with that one just to know :) I might start out with the scallop as I like the look and the scallop top and then know if I want a bit less or a bit more I can go either way as the middle starting point kinda thing
and then ATT after that maybe ?

does seem like the Karve would be fun to try but also IF the timelss worked for me would I care guess cross that bridge when I get there :) doohhhhhh so much to do and try and still doing soaps and creams and AS and brushes ! Hahahahaha

If you're considering a Timeless Ti then get the .95 base. The .68 is not as efficient as the Henson. It's smooth but doesn't shave as close. The .95 will rival the Henson, but with more blade feel. My comparison is for the Henson Ti22 medium. I returned my Timeless Ti since it didn't provide anything better outcomes compared to my Henson. It really is tough to beat a Henson.

If you're considering a Timeless Ti then get the .95 base. The .68 is not as efficient as the Henson. It's smooth but doesn't shave as close. The .95 will rival the Henson, but with more blade feel. My comparison is for the Henson Ti22 medium. I returned my Timeless Ti since it didn't provide anything better outcomes compared to my Henson. It really is tough to beat a Henson.

I’m surprised to hear that! I’ve actually found the opposite to be true. I’ve found the Timeless .68 to be more efficient than my Henson Medium. I guess that’s why everyone says YMMV. I’ll be trying the .95 and the H&S N075 in the next week or so.

My top mild razors are Timeless .68, Yates 921-M, karve B or C solid bar, Henson Medium.

I’m surprised to hear that! I’ve actually found the opposite to be true. I’ve found the Timeless .68 to be more efficient than my Henson Medium. I guess that’s why everyone says YMMV. I’ll be trying the .95 and the H&S N075 in the next week or so.

My top mild razors are Timeless .68, Yates 921-M, karve B or C solid bar, Henson Medium.

Yeah, I guess we're all different. I found my Ti22 to be equal to the Timeless .95. I never would have thought that to be the case until I compared them.

My top razors are Henson Ti22, Yates 921-M, EJ 3one6, Rocca, and Blackbird.

I agree. I just ordered an AL13 - Medium in Tan. Looks like they're SOLD OUT of Aggressive

1619920042595.png

Top Bottom