What's new

World’s Mildest (New) Razor?

I love this thread. I went on the same crusade a few months ago, mild and smooth. I settled on the Timeless Titanium SB .68, Henson AL13, Karve SB B plate and the Yates M.

I can’t lie as happy as as I am with these you guys have me wanting to try the Above the Tie SSM. I have an above the tie 2015 S1 that basically never gets used but I’d be willing to try the brand again.
I'll have to look into the Yates M!

We have been thinking about doing another limited edition run of something, but we haven't decided what yet. We are open to any ideas or opinions you fine folks might have. :)
Colors on the aluminum Windsor pro, like lime green and orange and blue and red. I got a black one to mix up with my polished Windsor. Didn’t need it, just wanted to mix it up. I’d totally waste money on mixing colors! Who else would? Speak up!

I just ordered the Timeless Ti handle they sell on Amazon ($55).

View attachment 1258413

Hopefully, it will give my arm some rest from lifting the heavy ATT Kronos handle!💪🏻
Whoa 😮 big thumbs down 👎🏻 for the Timeless Ti handle. It’s not nearly as light as the other one! In fact, it’s almost as heavy as the ATT SS handle!

Wow...now what am I going to do? I’m going to have to send the ATT back unless I can find a lighter handle for it 🥲

Bummer
Think the other one is lighter from timeless by about 10 grams as I have been looking at that one that is more hourglass shape

italian barber has that titanium one that is $30 kinda like grooves cut into it ? No idea on weight ?

What about aluminum ?

Feather came in will try that tomorrow :)

3 others from itlian barber coming in tomorrow

and westcoastshaving that has the yates with the extra plate I did email and make sure its the newer flat top model that from reading seemed to have came out last year sometime and is not the round top one in the photos ? Their desc says its the new one so just wanted to have that double checked and figure would pass it on
not sure when that yates will get here ? But should be soon

I need more face and more stubble :) hahahahaha

FIRST SHAVE WITH HENSON !!!

——————General things I noticed—————-

Super smooth ! No issues and I could do my ears ! (The ambassador I cant do my ears without damage)

never could do ATG on upper lip without pain and work on anything but electric braun this did it !

I have a goatee so the edges are often a pain to get precise without some tug feeling when going slow and precise along the hair this was smooth I could feel it but like it had tiny fingers holding my skin tight Very nice !

another thing this razor seems to let my soap stay on my face or leave a bit more on the face maybe its blade exposure ? aluminum ? The shape of cap ? No idea but makes that extra pass edge or you want to do one more quick pass no worries !

it did take 4 pass to get BBS and 8 hours later I have a few places where I can feel stubble coming up but very little and in those fast spots that I kinda get no matter what

—————————

So onto my shave !

1st pass WTG I felt the angle has to be spot on I will say you have to be ON your angles
and I think I need to run my soap/cream a touch wetter than I have been but the angle was more critical but WTG ya really can not feel the blade ? You can say OK I know its cutting but it could be just a bar clearing soap ? So very smooth

2nd pass XTG was fine smooth feeling no issues but I could still feel way more hair/stubble on my face being left than my ambassador ever leaves I can get a DFS with 2 passes and maybe hit a couple spots with the ambassador and be OK this I decided to take a 3rd pass and make it a combo XTG ATG and realize this was going to be 4 pass shave

3rd pass kinda mix of XTG and ATG to clean up the spots and kinda finalize partial spots that did not get knocked down
but I did not fear doing more with the henson no pain no feel just smooth ! So 3rd pass down and would be fine so onto 4 and make it that super shave I rarely do

4th pass was more clean up ATG I was at %80
really could see a daily 3 pass would be fine for me BUT I wanted to see how smooth and how close I could get kinda a super shave or getting married shave or ya know what I mean :)

SO lets find the breaking point of my face and this razor !!!!!

I did a 5th 6th 7th and 8th then 9th and 10th+ passes over most my face
Was fun as I got to play with my other brushes and use up some soap hahahahaha
some areas buffed like mad quite shocked how much I could go over and over areas before I felt it ?

My cheeks were fine ! My jaw line fine my neck only the areas that are sensitive
now why would I do this ? Like to find the edge of things :) know your limits by passing them

SO I use alum sometimes its a good tell so rubbed down my face and WOW less feel than I thought as in only a few spots
put on after shave and was barely feeling it ! WOW for the abuse I did this was NICE

So in the end and going forward will do 3/4 pass and/or some touch up but I think a few more shaves my angles will be better and maybe other blades Yeah can see this being a super nice daily no worries razor and can see it being easy as in no care sloppy if you want to !

So yeah its really insane smooth as said and while not as efficient does not matter cause the smoothness allows you to go back and get those areas without worry so those trouble spots you can hit till happy !

long winding bad grammar so sorry :)

cant wait till tomorrow razor overload Inbound !

Yeah reckon its like eating a bag of cookies when you were young something you would not do again but seemed like a good idea at the time

saw two vids today on the new tatara adjustable and that thing looks pretty darn cool in the way it works and I like the looks physically but the idea of something like that and the rex ambassador I would have what might be the two best adjustable razors the tatara does seem more mild side the ambassador does seem more aggressive so would cover the range and be able to do adjustments for the day if I wanted ?
Not cheap but really a timeless TI and a few base plates is about the same in the end ? So its on my radar in my hunt for a favorite razor !

It’s going to have more blade feel than the Henson, but I find it smooth and efficient. It’s the razor I use most when I don’t reach for my Henson.
This is exactly right. I would rate the Yates M below the Henson, the Timeless Titanium .68SB and the Karve B plate for Comfort, however I would rate it above them for efficiency. Its a rock solid razor, top 5 for me, but not top 3.

This is exactly right. I would rate the Yates M below the Henson, the Timeless Titanium .68SB and the Karve B plate for Comfort, however I would rate it above them for efficiency. Its a rock solid razor, top 5 for me, but not top 3.
Thanks for letting me (us) know! 👍🏻

This is an interesting and fun thread.

I am a 66 year old wet shaving and DE razor noobie. I am having a ball and look forward to shaving for the first time in my life! I have already bought about 10 razors and bunches of everything else. It didn't take long to figure out I like a mild razor and sharp blade combination. My wife has been very patient and gives me that questioning look when she sees multiple packages arriving in the mail every day.
Well anyway, I had been to the Henson website and read the forum reviews. I knew I had to have just one more new razor:001_smile! To demonstrate how crafty my mind works and being a kind, considerate and thoughtful husband, I figured out Mothers Day is coming up next month and I instantly had a plan. I ordered the Henson AL13 in the rose color. Being so kind and thoughtful, I naturally had to make sure it would work good for her knowing she has never used a DE razor. In my defense, I have other nice gifts for the best person-friend-wife-mother in the world. (I might have a slight bias)

To make a long story short, the Henson with a Feather blade shaved smoother and cleaner than any other razor I have used!!! It was my closest shave yet and I only shave 2X WTG about 90% of the time. On top of that, I had no irritation or sensitivity issues. My Rockwell 6C (with plate 2 or 3), Gillette King and Jagger 89 are in the same ballpark for my needs but the Henson is a keeper for me...or I should say for my wife. :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub:. To be helpful for her, naturally I will have to keep testing this razor till Mothers Day and come up with another plan to have a convincing story to get one for myself!
Isn't this shaving stuff fun and besides the blades are a lot cheaper than cartridges!!!

I got my significant other a basic set of wet shaving gear as a gift about 3 years ago. In part it was prompted by a conversation where she was complaining about the pink tax (a legitimately annoying marketing phenomenon), and so I figured "this is my opening...". She's definitely a convert now, and periodically reminds me how glad she is she made the switch. Between the two of us, we occasionally go a little overboard with soaps so I'm not sure if it's saving her any money in real terms, but that's at least a place she's happier to spend it.

All this is to say: I think it could be a great gift for the wife. Maybe prime her a little the next time you're out at the drug store by "casually" observing that the women's cartridges seem to cost more than the ones for men. I promise she has something to say about that.

I was also thinking about picking up a Henson for my own SO as a bit of an upgrade from what she has. I'd be curious to hear other women's perspectives on how they like it, if any ladyshavers out there are reading this.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I’m tempted to try it again...this time with the blade that comes with it 🤔
As always, each of us has a unique beard and technique. I found I could get great shaves with an AS-D2 using Personna platinums or Crystals, but it took some time and patience. The razor does indeed tame the Feather blade. I shifted to the ATT SSR-1 and find it extremely comfortable and requiring much less work to get BBS.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Most of the suggestions in this thread have been for higher end razors, and we all appreciate the workmanship of these beauties. But based purely on performance, don't overlook this one: the RazoRock DE1 (aka Baili 176). The DE1 is squarely in my wheelhouse: very mild on the face, with minimal blade feel, but still quite efficient. Corner tabs give perfect blade alignment. It is a zamac head, so not exactly an heirloom, but at $7.99, who cares? Don't let that price put you off; for me the DE1 out shaves quite a few of the big guns. A low risk proposition that is definitely a worthy contender.
Myself and a few others used the DE1/Bali 176 for the AFFCC this month, and I can definitely say that it performs well above it's price point.

I really appreciate this thread. Everyone is different but reading reviews by others really helps you figure out which razors work for you. I suppose I prefer a bit more aggression and weight than kennyg2019 but still leaning towards the milder side. Also, I got two great shaves in with my new Karve bronze razor with B plate. I’d say the Karve offers a similar shave to the Tatara but with less precision due to it’s thicker safety bar - like driving a big sports car vs a smaller one - equally excellent but different. This thread helped me buy the Karve with confidence because I knew I preferred the Mamba 70 to the Mamba 53 and worked from there. In addition, I must say it’s critical for me to be able to get a close shave under and around my nostrils. Razors that leave the blade tabs exposed usually work better for me because the ends of the blade are closer to the edge of the razor. This lets me scoop around each nostril. The Mamba is an exception because it has a very slim head that gets right inside my nostril.

My three favorite razors (at the moment) are relatively mild (left to right) Tatara Masamune, Karve B plate and Razorock Mamba 70. These are my ratings using Kennyg2019’s system (perfect for evaluating razors):

Tatara Masamune
(Comfort 8.5/Efficiency 8.5)

Karve B plate
(Comfort 8.5/Efficiency 8.5)

Mamba 70
(Comfort 9/Efficiency 7.5)

Attachments

• 212D8DC5-BFF6-498E-A013-0CE69B4AF332.jpeg
    212D8DC5-BFF6-498E-A013-0CE69B4AF332.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 89AAA83C-D366-46B6-A3CE-7C82D8776FC0.jpeg
    89AAA83C-D366-46B6-A3CE-7C82D8776FC0.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 32
I got my significant other a basic set of wet shaving gear as a gift about 3 years ago. In part it was prompted by a conversation where she was complaining about the pink tax (a legitimately annoying marketing phenomenon), and so I figured "this is my opening...". She's definitely a convert now, and periodically reminds me how glad she is she made the switch. Between the two of us, we occasionally go a little overboard with soaps so I'm not sure if it's saving her any money in real terms, but that's at least a place she's happier to spend it.

All this is to say: I think it could be a great gift for the wife. Maybe prime her a little the next time you're out at the drug store by "casually" observing that the women's cartridges seem to cost more than the ones for men. I promise she has something to say about that.

I was also thinking about picking up a Henson for my own SO as a bit of an upgrade from what she has. I'd be curious to hear other women's perspectives on how they like it, if any ladyshavers out there are reading this.
My GF has used my Henson and she loved it so much she wants her own one. Mine is in pink so I may just let her keep mine.

Curious then in order what your top 3 - 5 razors would be ? :)

I know ya said this
Timeless Titanium SB .68, Henson AL13, Karve SB B plate and the Yates M.

so not sure if it was those in that order or :)
for sure we all have our personal likes so just curious :)

Top Bottom