What's new

Presoak Synthetic?

When I first started using brushes for shaving, I had a cheap badger hair brush. I would presoak it in warm water for several minutes to soften the bristles. I then moved on to synthetic brushes. I still presoak them, but as far as I know, it's not needed. Am I the only one that does this? Is doing so in any way detrimental to the brush?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
So long as your water isn’t hot enough to damage the epoxy, why not? If you move to boar brushes, your current eccentricity will be a well-honed good habit.

It's not detrimental to the brush, and if you like a warm brush you can certinaly keep doing it. Is it necessary with a synthetic? Not at all.

I fill the sink with hot water for a face towel anyhow so I dump my razor and brush in there as well as my bowl. Regardless if we talk synthetic or badger.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I used to soak all my brushes for a few minutes, and included the synthetics out of habit despite it not being necessary. I now no longer even soak my badger brushes as I perceive no benefit to so doing.

I don't clean my sink often enough to do that! 🤣
Nah stat soap scum coating is so caustic it kills on contact…
And since I use a washtowel to soak my beard I can use it after shaving to clean the sink

I still want to add a nano coating to the ceramics to make it super slick though. Just flush the thing

linty1

My wallet cries.
I put it in to presoak just out if habit, but when I take it out I'll flick off most of the glob of water, then just dip my tips in again quickly then go load. Like a digestive in hot tea.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Well, soaking a badger or synthetic is an incredible waste of time, but I can't imagine anything wrong with doing so. It's hard to believe that 10 seconds under the running faucet wouldn't make the brush just as warm as a 2 minute soak.

But do soak your boars.

Top Bottom