What's new

Natural Deodorant?

I mean how using that as deodorant works lol
Even more LOL, then!

It does!!! A pharmacy owner recommend it to my grandmother, who was the most scent oriented person I’ve ever met - and a very eccentric womam as well. A huge fan os Dr. Harris’ Traditional Cologne, that she would mix with other (always masculine) fragrances. I don’t think she ever used eau de cologne (never, ever, eau de parfume) as they were sold: always some “proprietary” mix. And even though she despised feminine scents (“too sweet”), she was very feminine herself.

Back to Phillips. No scent (I recommend sticking to the Original formula), so if you like cologne or aftershave, it’s ideal. And you can find it pretty much anywhere in the world. There’s some sense of minimalism and naturalness to it as well. Fuss free. I don’t think unscented deodorants were that much available back in the 80s. But, above all, it works and doesn’t cause any irritation at all! The only thing is that it is NOT antiperspirant - I now use antiperspirant, unscented roll on deodorants, but some doctor once told me that antiperspirant deodorants were not ideal for the body (no idea whether there’s any truth to it, though). I used Phillips for some 20+ years...

Last edited:
+1 for the Arm & Hammer essentials. I have only used the fresh scent and juniper berry. Both smell good and work well for me 👍🏼

I have been curious about trying alum as a deodorant but am a bit hesitant. I know that you’re supposed to rinse alum off your face after a minute or so. Is there any harm in leaving it on under your arms all day? Just curious.

(For others curious about trying this I know you shouldn’t use the same block for both face and armpits. The bacteria from under your arms can cause problems on your face)

Guys I got an alum block for the first time, it’s the one from Osma. I got it for my face for post-shave relief when needed. Works great. But since I read some people used it for deodorant AND anti-perspirant I figured I’d give it a shot. I was very surprised at how good it works. And this is coming from someone who used to use Mitchum back in the day cos I was a heavy sweater and still am. Anyway, give an alum block a shot and see what you think.

+1 for the Arm & Hammer essentials. I have only used the fresh scent and juniper berry. Both smell good and work well for me 👍🏼

I have been curious about trying alum as a deodorant but am a bit hesitant. I know that you’re supposed to rinse alum off your face after a minute or so. Is there any harm in leaving it on under your arms all day? Just curious.

(For others curious about trying this I know you shouldn’t use the same block for both face and armpits. The bacteria from under your arms can cause problems on your face)
It dries very quickly under your arms. I thought that was weird too that I’d have to wet it before applying but it dries fast and works great.

I'd rather smell my BO than a scented deodorant that lasts all day and gives me a headache. I hated using a shaving alum block on my face, but it makes a great deodorant with no scent.

TIP: if you put the block in a baggie and use a hammer to break a piece off, then pulverize it, the powder works great for stopping bleeding from nicks or weepers. Just dampen or wet your finger, dip it in the powder and apply. When dry just brush it off your face. For bad nicks, make a paste. In the early 1960s they sold a powdered shaving alum in the shaving aisle. I still keep some of it around from back then, mainly to annoy my wife (but it still works). Before I pulverized part of my alum block, I also used a powdered or McCormicks alum from the grocery spice aisle to stop shaving cuts and weepers.

For me only aluminium based deodorants really work. But, yes, in Germany there is a government warning that those may cause harm. There is also an alert esp. for deodorant cristals (potassium as well as amonnium alum) to be very harmful. Bare that in mind.

For me also Calani deodorant creams were ok during winter time. But as we all know Calani has closed it's doors.

If the issue is sensitive skin you may use certified deodorants. Here in Germany we have some certified by the German Asthma and Allergy association (like this one ISANA MED Deo Roll-On ultra sensitiv online kaufen | rossmann.de - https://www.rossmann.de/de/pflege-und-duft-isana-med-deo-roll-on-ultra-sensitiv/p/4305615629070). I would think that you have this kind in every country.

Another option could be to make your own deodorant cream. There are tons of how to videos online.

I've heard and read that the whole "alumin(i)um" thing as associated with potassium alum, based on the belief that alumin(i)um oxide leads to Alzheimer's disease, has largely been debunked. If you could provide some examples of alerts as given in Germany on potassium alum blocks, that would be helpful. Perhaps it is akin to State of California warnings here Stateside.

So I thought aluminum was bad to and I've been thinking about switching to aluminum free also. But seeing that the German government pulled its warning, I thought, why don’t I just google it. This was one of the first that came up, complete with references and facts. The aluminum thing has been completely debunked. It doesn’t give you Alzheimer’s, it doesn’t get into your system and cause breast cancer And the amount of “cancer causing, and harmful toxins“ that you stop by stopping your sweat is inconsequential. Only a negligible amount of toxins actually come out in your sweat. Sweats Only real job is to control body temp. The sources for this article are also on the opposite side of the fence for the most part, they stand nothing to gain by saying deodorant is ok...

Exactly. There is no evidence that aluminium in deodorants and such is harmful, contrary to the statement they made some years ago. So, much ado about nothing.

Good to read those articles about aluminum not being dangerous as once thought. Regardless, I’ve been using an alum block as an antiperspirant/deodorant for the last few weeks and I am still very impressed how well it works. I may not even go back to using traditional antiperspirants/deodorants just because the alum works so well. I’d say it’s worth a shot to try it and see if you like it better. If not you can always go back to what you’ve been using.

Used Dove AP for a long time. Today is my first day using Crystal with a couple of swipes of Everyman Jack for good measure. I just keep telling myself, "It's Ok to sweat, it's OK to sweat." It's making me sweat just thinking about it. :001_unsur Hope it works.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’ve been using this for a few weeks now and I’ve got to say it’s pretty good. No issues. You wet it first and must be applied to clean skin. I found that water can collect in the case so I rinse it after use and invert it for a second before putting the cap back on. The block sort of rattles around in the holder giving the feeling like it’s going to fall out but that hasn’t happened. I’m not sure how it compares to The Osma block I use for my face post shave but that little bugger is hard enough to hold for face application I won’t use it under arms. Anyway it goes in nicely dried quickly and I don’t smell. So it’s all good 😌

The other thing that's nice about using Crystal or an alum block is that it won't stain your shirts. I hate those yellowish stains that appear on my t-shirts. I still do sweat a bit during the day but there's no odor. It keeps me drier than just using a straight deodorant though.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The other thing that's nice about using Crystal or an alum block is that it won't stain your shirts. I hate those yellowish stains that appear on my t-shirts. I still do sweat a bit during the day but there's no odor. It keeps me drier than just using a straight deodorant though.
It’s surprising but the crystal does seem to keep
Me dry and odor free. The warmer weather will be a test I suppose. I like the price of the crystal too

After Day 1 with the crystal I was surprised how dry I was. Today was a get up early and work outside most of the day Saturday. It still held up really well through all that. I'm sold in it. The Everyman Jack burned however. After this evening's shower I tried Arm and Hammer after the crystal and it felt much better. Just a swipe for a little scent.

I avoid deodorant with aluminum. I was getting weird swellings on my armpits. When I switched to aluminum free deodorant the swellings went away. I was ahead of the curve on aluminum free deodorant. When I switched to aluminum free deodorant, the only Aluminum free deodorant I could find was Tom's from Maine. At the time Wholefoods was the only place I could find Tom's. The whole Deodorant market has changed. Now it is really easy to find aluminum free deodorant.

I have tried alum block and it just doesn't work for me. I am currently using Dove for Men aluminum free. Jury is still out on that one.

I have been using Mystic Water natural deodorant for about 5 years now. It's wonderful. As with all of her products, they smell great. It is formulated with just a little bit of baking soda and just the right amount of activated charcoal, so it really works to keep the stench away. It is NOT an antiperspirant, but it does seem to keep me dry. It has a lot of ingredients in it that are really good for the skin, too.

I actually came to this subforum to post a question about making my own natural deodorant, because I know at some point Michelle at Mystic Water is going to retire and stop making them.

I had this idea that a balm aftershave has many of the same skin-friendly ingredients as Michelle's deodorant. I know there are a lot of recipes online for making one's own natural deodorant, but I wondered whether it would be possible to take an existing product, like a balm aftershave, and turn it into a deodorant by adding a little bit of baking soda or arrowroot powder and maybe a little bit of activated charcoal. That way all the other ingredients, scent and everything, are already done and I wouldn't have to worry about anything but the arrowroot powder plus/minus activated charcoal, both of which I could probably buy on Amazon. Anybody have any thoughts about whether this would work? (From the comments earlier in the thread, it sounds like most of you don't really have a lot of experience with any natural deodorants other than alum blocks, but I thought I'd try.)

Top Bottom