What's new

Lupo stainless?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I shaved with the Karve Brass OC with the B plate and it couldn't run with my Lupo SS SB .72. the next day however, I set up my Karve Brass SB C plate with a Kai SS and the result was as good as the Lupo. So...I may soon be pif'ing my Karve Brass OC and SB both plate B with a couple of other razors and some new soaps. Keep an eye out.

Well done, comrades. This thread has been enjoyable and enlightening.

2 more shaves in the books. 3rd use of the Wilkinson, on the 2nd pass it already complained that it wants to go into the bin :). No nicks, but not BBS, didn't try to go for it either as the blade was done. As it dulled prematurely (usually I get 3, sometimes 4 shaves from it), I decided it was because it isn't sharp enough for this razor. This morning I popped in a feather. 2 pass (WTG, XTG) BBS on the cheeks and DFS(+) on the neck. Almost no cleanup needed. Noticeably closer everywhere than the Wilkinson. First pass was very smooth, I noticed a hint of irritation on the 2nd pass, which was confirmed by the after shave. Probably the 2nd shave with the blade will be the best. I also managed to nick myself between the lips and chin (where I mostly get nicks). I applied the tiniest bit of pressure and felt the stinging :|. Still, this razor is smoooth, but if you don't focus, it will show who is the boss. I will try something in-between in sharpness next, a Russian Gillette maybe.

After using the Ralf Aust and FOCS the last four days, it was time to show the Lupo .95 some love.

53 hrs growth and first time ever using a German Wilkinson blade. Twas a fantastic shave, 90% BBS mainly due to the wilki being an unknown variable and didn't wish to push my luck on the buffing. But for a 2 pass shave with a wee bit of buffing, outstanding. Only one small weeper and no argument from the alum bar. The 95 really shines with a light touch. Loving the Lupo.

20210423_195210.jpg

edit: oh yeah, first use of my new brush, Semogue Owners Club Mistura, badger/boar blend. It's a keeper. 👍

cheers

Just ordered a SS Lupo DC with a UFO handle. I can't wait to get it and look forward to using it.

Beautiful...

but that's the haloed ufo in the photo. The ufo is in my pic above. Regardless, congratulations... the Lupo is a great shaver. Hope you enjoy!
Thanks.
I thought I forgot part of the name. It was a tough decision because I also liked the look of the the UFO as well, but the Haloeds unique look was harder to resist. who knows, I may get the UFO as well down the road. Reminds me of the Gillette tech handle.

Just ordered a SS Lupo DC with a UFO handle. I can't wait to get it and look forward to using it.

Thanks.
I thought I forgot part of the name. It was a tough decision because I also liked the look of the the UFO as well, but the Haloeds unique look was harder to resist. who knows, I may get the UFO as well down the road. Reminds me of the Gillette tech handle.

Of the RR handles that I own: HD, UFO, Barber Pole and Haloed UFO, I think the haloed ufo is the best looking, followed by the barber pole. However the one that I use most often is the ufo. It's a bit lighter, just feels great in my hand and it does carry a certain old school charm in the looks department... reminds me a bit of the old Gillette ball ends.

I will admit though, after seeing the Windrose R3 Ti handle that @Black-Tie posted earlier in this thread, I yielded to lust and ordered one. I'm curious to see how a 25gm lighter handle feels while driving the Lupo around me mug.

Did two more shaves with the feather, very close shaves with a hint of burn. Today I used a kai again. The result is the same as with any other razor, pulling and tugging. It just isn't able to mow down my whiskers, I did about twice as many strokes as usual. I don't see how most people call this blade "sharp", but YMMW, I suppose. Apart from the pulling, especially on the 2nd pass, it was smooth. Despite the high number of strokes it didn't irritate my skin, nor did I get any weepers or nicks. My face feels fairly close, but under the chin I have visible stubble, I aborted the buffing efforts as it wasn't cutting anything :|
I want to like this blade, because it doesnt have goop on it, and it looks cool, but it just isn't for me.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Myself also thinks that KAI blades
are nowhere near to being sharp.
Very expensive blades ,for no special
reason whatsoever.
I get great shaves with my DE Kai SS Blade and they are sharp & smoooth with great longevity. I have had all kinds of DFS>BBS shaves with them (Medium beard density tough) and the best physical charteristic about them are they are wider than a Standard Gillette blade by .009 thousands of a inch. So if you have mild razor and want some more blade feel & they beat any shimming IMO. Are they the sharpest blade out there I do not think so but they will give any blade a run for the money IMO. A Kai SS to a Feather blade lasts about twice as long with my Technique but YMMV! They are pricey no doubt about it!
Some of the fellows just had a PIF with the Kai SS blades & is still on going, I will always have a tuck or two of these blades just for razors that need a boost IMO.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Did two more shaves with the feather, very close shaves with a hint of burn. Today I used a kai again. The result is the same as with any other razor, pulling and tugging. It just isn't able to mow down my whiskers, I did about twice as many strokes as usual. I don't see how most people call this blade "sharp", but YMMW, I suppose. Apart from the pulling, especially on the 2nd pass, it was smooth. Despite the high number of strokes it didn't irritate my skin, nor did I get any weepers or nicks. My face feels fairly close, but under the chin I have visible stubble, I aborted the buffing efforts as it wasn't cutting anything :|
I want to like this blade, because it doesnt have goop on it, and it looks cool, but it just isn't for me.

Great webpage for blades tested for sharpness. Kai SS out of the package is not a sharp blade, but it gets significantly sharper on the second and third shaves. Check it out here:

Razor Blade Sharpness Summary with Comparison Chart - https://www.refinedshave.com/razor-blade-sharpness-summary/

Top Bottom