What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

PSX_20210420_104606.jpg

Razor: Timeless Bronze OC .78
Blade: Gillette King C. Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.

- Brush: Chubby 2
- Razor: Parker Semi- Slant
- Blade: Astra SS (3)
- Soap: Stirling Alighieri
- Aftershave: Stirling Alighieri
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

First good shave I have has with the Semi-Slant. The Astra is a perfect blade for this razor. I also took my own advice and used next to no pressure. Made a huge difference and got close to BBS.

Alighieri is an excellent Fahrenheit dupe. I really like the 3oz Black Friday jars as well. Perfect travel size as are the 2oz AS bottles.

I love my Chubby 2 Two-Band. Such a pleasure to use. It is a big P.I.T.A. to rinse out properly though if I had to nitpick.

9.75/10. Almost perfect!

F37429BF-5A62-4877-BE69-D277A370F39E.jpeg

Soap: Arko
Razor: Rolls Razor
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Witch hazel / Osage Rub

Great shave. Been wanting to use this razor consecutively for a bit to see how the edge degrades but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think this edge has a few shaves on it already, and it felt right. I leave town next Sunday so I think I'll oil up my straight and stick with this setup for the time being, but we shall see. Unfortunately though I don't think the strop is doing its job, as the edge only seems to look polished on the outer parts and not so much in the center. The blade doesn't seem to have any geometry issues though but I feel like this will need to be worked out at some point.

10/10

Razor: 65 Super Speed
Blade: Personna Blue (0)
Pre: Cremo Lavender
Foam: Barbasol Original
Result: 10/10

2 x XTG in opposite directions to one of the most near-BBS shaves I’ve ever achieved, no brush or fancy software required. And the best part? Every product is of 🇺🇸 origin! That’s right, one of my best shaves ever was courtesy of stuff made right here in the USA!

I’m really glad I chose to revisit the Personna Lab Blue blade. Tracking every shave from the last 2+ years really helped in determining the blade itself was likely not the cause for some of the bad shaves I experienced prior. In the 65 with the fabulous Cremo and Barbasol, it was smooth sailing.

The first pass wasn’t as easy as a fresh Permasharp, but I did have 4 days of growth after all. The second pass was pure comfort in the tough areas like my chin and neck. I was very cautious in the one corner of my neck that’s always a pain. I had a very minor tug but no blood or redness by the time I checked myself in the downstairs mirror before heading out. Letting the Personna ride to see how it does over time. Most excellent made in the USA of shave days! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

6E0FA173-C447-4388-8E9C-1F425A97128C.jpeg

My Wednesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: Le Grelot Campiono 309 5/8​
Pre-Shave: Taconic Organic Pre-Shave Oil, Unscented​
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar​
Soap: Tabac Original Shaving Soap w/ Bowl​
Facial Toner: Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic​
Aftershave: Proraso White Alcohol Free After Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
10/10 DFS! No nicks! No irritation! A very close shave!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Rating: 9.5/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Zingari Man The Nomad
Brush: PAA Amber Aerolite Stygian Hybrid synthetic
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB Dual Comb w/ATT SS Kronos handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Stephan Bay Rum splash

An excellent close shave...DFS/BBS. Three small weepers...one on the right side and two on the left side of my neck. Hardly worth mentioning, but half a point off. I dialed in the Nomad soap really well this morning...painted on easily. The PAA Stygian hybrid is one of my favorite brushes...not so much from an appearance perspective...but it performs really well...easy to whip up lather and a good painter. The new handle, Above the Tie/Kronos, I bought from Maggards on sale. It's plain to look at, but it provides an excellent grip...the knurling really gives you a confidant feeling...this thing isn't going to easily slip from your hand. Stephan Bay Rum scent-wise smells a lot to my nose like Masters Bay Rum does, but it doesn't have a ton of glycerin in it like Masters. Not my favorite Bay Rum scent, but it's nice. Will definitely keep it in the rotation. You get plenty of it and it's fairly inexpensive.

Not feeling great today overall...not much sleep last night and stomach is bothering me. Going to take it easy today.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

View attachment 1254793
.I got my lupo .95 today but had already shaved so it will be a few days before i can test it i want a good few days growth.The blade gap looks massive compared to the .72 it looks way more aggresive i think i'll use a mild blade lol.Hope you're feeling better soon.Smooth shaves.

Soap: MDC Argumes
Blade : Polsilver SI (1)
Razor: Timeless Ti Sb .95
Brush: Rudy Vey Samurai Jade Shavemac 26mm, 2 Band
Post Shave: Ethos Unscented skin food, SV Cubebe aftershave

10/10
The consistency in the Shavemac knots is unparalleled, I have a 28, 26 & 24mm knots and they are great, all compliments of Rudy Vey, his knowledge and experience is incredible.
5504E54B-3C4D-4B8A-AA31-C520C57916D8.jpeg

On a quest to reduce irritation I'd built up over a few days ... and used a soap sample I hadn't touched in a long time ... bad idea?

tempImageFB7LCf.jpg

Not in the least. I had a very nice shave tonight. The A&E St. Bart's lathered up a little more airy than I remembered, and lighter than Tabac, but it performed really well.

I did two passes with the Feather Kamisori (WTG, XTG-ish) and one plus some touchups with the R41 using a German Wilkinson Sword blade on its sixth use. NO blood at all, and I did my skin a good favor and treated it kindly.

The results weren't too shabby, again a mix of CCS, DFS, and a little BBS.

My touch is getting better overall, and that helps the R41 really show its remarkable efficiency while remaining comfortable.

Rating: 8/10

Prep : Room Temperature Water Splashes + Glycerin Face Wash
Razor: Mühle R41(2013)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (D1)
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 in Best Badger
Soap : Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Alum Block + Cold Water Rinse + Old Spice Original AS Lotion
Rating : 9.8/10 :pipe:

A very close, comfortable and effortless BBS in 2.5 passes ! :001_wub:

Thu 22nd SE SOTD
Soap Shannon Soaps Barbershop
Brush Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Razor Yaqi AC Aluminum
Blade Feather ProGuard 14th Use...
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Stirling Witchhazel MitA + Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Best BarberShop scent among the 3 I have with good quality lather.
Another awesome shave with razor paired with the well-used blade. Still silky smooth and very comfortable in 3passes for a mostly bbs finish without any issues. Aftershaves were awesome too! Rating 10/10!!
20210422_112331.jpg

Soap/Cream: Wilkinson puck (blue tub)
Brush: Mühle Silvertip fibre M
Razor: Merkur 38C
Blade: Mühle (2nd)
AS: cold rinse; Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum.

2 passes, excellent shave.
Back to regular excellent shaves.
The Wilkinson puck definitely isn't flat anymore, it's starting to show a shallow hollow. (I've used it 28 times now)

Last nights shave (didn't have time during the day so a rare evening shave for me)

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Clinique for Men Charcoal Face Wash
- Jack Black Face Buff Energizing Scrub
- Truefitt and Hill Pre-shave Oil
- Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar shaving cream (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar Aftershave Balm (sample)
- Jack Black Dry Erase Ultra-Calming Face Cream

Tools
- Parker 26c
- Astra SP (1)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Shave Rating: 8/10
Trying out a set of Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar shaving cream and aftershave balm samples this week and shave 1 went well. The cream performs just as well as their other creams that I have tried and it has a pleasant summery scent to it (citrus with some spicy undertones) and the matching balm has the same pleasant scent to it and seems to do a good job post-shave.
It was also my first three pass shave with my Parker 26c (or any OC). I usually keep it for a single pass when I haven't shaved in a while and have longer stubble but decided I would try it out for some full shaves. As I usually use milder closed combs, I decided to pair it up with a milder blade I usually don't find sharp enough. The Astra performed much better than it has in my milder razors although it could still do with being a bit sharper in this razor.
Overall a pleasant shave with no initial irritation, some feedback from the alum but nothing that has resulted in any next day irritation either.

Top Bottom