Ikon Tek bulldog handle.JPG

April 21st: Split Shave out of Curiosity

Rex Ambassador / Nacet (3rd) - Left Side
Timeless 95 OC / Crystal Super+ (2nd) Right Side
Tabac Original / 30mm Tuxedo
Mentholated Witch Hazel
Tabac Original Splash
Tabac Original Balm

Results: BBS both sides, and yes, the blades aren't the same, I used what is my preferred blade in each razor. The Timeless won on the cheeks, the Rex just edged it out on the jaw line & neck under the ears, although the Timeless actually feels a tiny bit smoother with less blade feel. It was fun.

1935 Rolls Razor / Williams Shave Soap / AV Musk Splash -- Williams Wednesday and my first successful Rolls Razor shave--all blade feel (duh!), but not overly harsh/aggressive for 3 passes, zero blood, BBS! This is a $10 new to me 1935 Imperial no.3 (Stainless Steel) Rolls w/telescoping handle I picked up a few weeks ago (included the instructions and it was refurbished with a new hone/strop and the blades were redone (under $6 for a factory refurbishment) at some point, and it may not have been used much if at all after being refurbished (no date unfortunately). I spent a few minutes wet sanding the surface rust off, then wet honed it on an old Rolls stone outside the case, then honed and stropped it in the case. I was on the fence as to whether it was shave ready or not, and after a lot of work on the blade and a lot of reading on several different forums on a Rolls shave, I decided to go for it. I had an aborted Rolls shave in October, using a light touch, but after reading other's suggestions to just "own" the shave with a firm hand and a lot of skin stretching, I enjoyed a very close shave experience was like no other razor I've used before. Sure, I was leery at first (it's a straight on a stick after all), so I was hesitant initially, but then found the angle and fell into a familiar groove and while I still respected the tool, I didn't fear it and the results were amazing. It needs a bit more stropping, but from all accounts the blade will smoothen out over time, and I've got another blade in this case and another case and two blades, so I shouldn't need to hone for a while. Apologies for the wall of text, but this is a unique system that doesn't get it's due respect.
6AA13E05-AF64-4133-8407-0EEAAD6D7023.jpeg
8AA5FE7B-2F48-409E-9BEC-23B021154691.jpeg

Top Bottom