What's new

Still think open carry is a great idea?

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
It would seem to me, a state as big and wide as Texas, wouldn't be so cramped with folk?
It’s the difference between living in the sticks and living in the city.
When my wife was growing up she and her family would only come to McAllen (60 miles) once a month for groceries.
Now there is an HEB and a Walmart in the “big” town 25 miles from them.
McAllen prolly has 100,000 residents but on the weekends it has the traffic of a city of 300,000 or more.
It is faster for me to drive the 35 miles from my parents home to my duty station than it is for me to drive from the North side of McAllen at about 15 miles. We get off at 4 and drive to get our youngest in North McAllen and then drive to our home in Mission. It’s usually 5:30 or 6 by the time we get home.
Now at the ranch it’s peaceful and quiet but 2 hours to a hospital and 45 minutes to a real grocery store. Traffic is limited to Ranchers, DPS, Border Patrol, Game Wardens, Illegals, and smugglers.

The original Wonder Woman of course.
I wouldn’t kick the new one outta bed for tooting either....
8C091A6A-F173-4F9B-A596-87B0FE924AE0.jpeg

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The original Wonder Woman of course.

Of course. :)

It’s the difference between living in the sticks and living in the city.
When my wife was growing up she and her family would only come to McAllen (60 miles) once a month for groceries.
Now there is an HEB and a Walmart in the “big” town 25 miles from them.
McAllen prolly has 100,000 residents but on the weekends it has the traffic of a city of 300,000 or more.
It is faster for me to drive the 35 miles from my parents home to my duty station than it is for me to drive from the North side of McAllen at about 15 miles. We get off at 4 and drive to get our youngest in North McAllen and then drive to our home in Mission. It’s usually 5:30 or 6 by the time we get home.
Now at the ranch it’s peaceful and quiet but 2 hours to a hospital and 45 minutes to a real grocery store. Traffic is limited to Ranchers, DPS, Border Patrol, Game Wardens, Illegals, and smugglers.

2 hours to the hospital! I am beginning to understand the ALL WEAPONS PUT AWAY when the alcohol comes out. ;)

I wouldn’t kick the new one outta bed for tooting either....

Lol'd @tooting... :)

shavefan

I’m not a fan
It would seem to me, a state as big and wide as Texas, wouldn't be so cramped with folk?

About half the state's population is crammed into 4 cities and their metroplex's. Houston, San Antonio, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Austin. And more people moving here every day. Traffic can be bad, for sure. When I first moved to the Dallas area nearly 20 years ago I chuckled when people complained about the "traffic" (I've experienced LA, Boston, DC, traffic), but now it's the real deal.

Last edited:

martym

@OkieStubble
Well you know the stories about cops and alcohol.

True story but no alcohol involved at the time of the incident:
A bunch of us were hunting one weekend at the ranch. One of my buddies had an allergic reaction to sunflower seeds. One of the other guys told him I sure hope you’re alive when we get back from the morning hunt so we can take you to the hospital.
I chimed in as I cut a piece of garden hose that I hope the children’s Benadryl kicks in cuz I don’t wanna miss a shot cuz I’m tired from stomping on your chest and blowing into this piece of hose that I’m gonna shove down your throat after I throw you on the floor of my blind.

OkieStubble

OKS

IIRC, We did a variation of this dance 5 years ago. And on the SERPA and on letting officers back out on the street with non OEM mag extensions after their non OEM mag extensions malfunctioned during an agency qualification but OK -

Oh brother... A Dance?

1. Was the Serpa thing really 5 years ago? Man time fly's! :) Pretty sure the Serpa thing was just your average sub forum discussion and debate which had it's agreements and disagreements of each of our views and opinions from our own perspectives and experiences. I wouldn't have even remembered if you didn't just bring it up. But now that you have, I think that discussion went quite well regardless of us not changing each other's minds don't you?

It was a bonding moment imo. :)

2. The "letting officers back out on the street thing", wasn't a disagreement for the record. You were being a big time jerk in that one and unprofessional to boot; and you know this to be true David.

You attempted to create a false narrative in suggesting our range officers would do something they wouldn't do. You made that up from thin air bro. And it was clear at that time, you were using my thread and posts, to create epenis sizing drills between yourself and I. As a gentleman, I wouldn't have brought this up either. So, as a gentleman, I don't understand why you are doing it right now?

What would be the purpose? Or your reasoning? Unless you want to and insist re-hashing all that again? I can go get your exact post and show you made a completely false narrative? Surely, it's of no consequence to this thread and discussion? Am I right?

As gentlemen, do we really want to keep doing that David? I for one am not interested. If you do, maybe we shouldn't engage each other any longer? If not, then this is your opportunity to not be a jerk for no reason and just simply respond to the posts and subject matter at hand in the same respectful manner and goodwill and brotherly, gun enthusiast spirit, in which they were generated?

Whatcha think? :)

If we can't, then we might want to discontinue any future attempts in fascinating dialog and discussions with one another?

If we can, then just simply respond to my most recent post my brother about the subject matter that is being discussed in this thread? Bringing up the past as you just did, It won't meet any future goals or satisfactions for either us. Trust me dude.

I don't think you're a bad guy, neither am I. But dude, I just simply was responding to one of your posts about this thread and this subject matter? Can you not just respectfully and simply, respond in kind? Argue with them, shoot them down, enlighten me bro, change my perspective?

But we ain't gonna do this 'my dad can whip your dad stuff, or my training is better then your training schtick... Unless you break out all those completion certificates and post them. :) Then I might let you see me ooh and aww for 5 minutes. :)

Otherwise, I'm not impressed.

But regardless, bringing up that past negative stuff, only shows you were already attempting to dismiss my post. Why? Just cuz it's me? :) Not a good look.

From what you say, it sounds like you have had some impressive training. Great job, I am proud of you! You sound like someone I would like to get advice from on a whole host of subjects. But you really should let us brag on you and pat you on the back instead of doing it yourself. It feels much better when you let other people do it. :)

OkieStubble

About half the state's population is crammed into 4 cities and their metroplex's. Houston, San Antonio, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Austin. And more people moving here every day. Traffic can be bad, for sure. When I first moved to the Dallas area nearly 20 years ago I chuckled when people complained about the "traffic" (I've experienced LA, Boston, DC, traffic), but now it's the real deal.

I can only imagine when California finally empties out and they have all moved to the lone star state, it is going to be a mad house. look at the bright side. You can always move to Oklahoma and root for the Sooners. ;)

martym

I can only imagine when California finally empties out and they have all moved to the lone star state, it is going to be a mad house. look at the bright side. You can always move to Oklahoma and root for the Sooners. ;)
You’re killing me Smalls

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Hopefully, it will be a long, long time before most of the west coast moves here. And a lot longer before they get to the area where I'm at.

And I'm not moving back to N.E. Oklahoma. The cold, damp weather in the winter made my lungs sick. Just a 200 mile move to the south did wonders. I'm thinking about Arizona...have a cousin there.

Sooners? Okieland still doesn't have a pro football team. That should tell you something.

How 'bout them Cowboys. :001_tt2:

As far as open carry in Ok...I've seen a few in a small town (Pryor). Awhile back there were a few I saw in Wallyworld there, and one older gentleman at the gas pumps at a convenience store. I haven't seen any in Tulsa when I have been there.

The only one I've seen open carry here was the young man wearing a cowboy hat and had a western rig with a single action Ruger in the holster at a convenience store. We had a nice conversation about what we both were carrying, my Colt was in my coat pocket, and he seemed like a nice, unassuming, young man. I would like to have talked to him further. Haven't seen any open carry in the DFW area when I've been there either, but I don't get to DFW area very much.

Oh, and the kid with the western rig had the hammer thong over the hammer spur of his .45. There is still hope.

While I don't have any issue with folks legally open carrying, and in Colorado, outside of Denver and Boulder, it's legal in most locations, with a few exceptions... I prefer to discreetly carry concealed, with permit of course.

Btw, side note... GF up in Oregon, received her CCW last week. Her shooting skills I must say, are excellent, in a very short time. 😉

OkieStubble

While I don't have any issue with folks legally open carrying, and in Colorado, outside of Denver and Boulder, it's legal in most locations, with a few exceptions... I prefer to discreetly carry concealed, with permit of course.

Btw, side note... GF up in Oregon, received her CCW last week. Her shooting skills I must say, are excellent, in a very short time. 😉

Does Colorado have open carry?

I have an issue that this topic fits into, but may be too close to being political. I hope not. Like I said, I type and erase SOOO much for fear of causing drama. Anyhow....

How do you fight the fact that A. you cannot out legislate stupid B. You cannot legislate common sense C. What ever rules are passed, be it open carry, concealed carry, ..... a stop sign! The only people who follow them are the people who do not need the rules to be safe and coexist peacefully in the first place? It almost makes it seem like spitting into the wind, doesn't it? And in comes my defeatist attitude of "why bother?"

Does Colorado have open carry?

Open carry is THE law in the State, legal in most places... no in Denver, Boulder and in a few of the other very liberal towns. You could literally be carrying open in one location, not know the local laws in the other, and be in violation. In Denver for instance, people have been known to open carry, not knowing... all of a sudden out on the street, they're surrounded by cop cars... as bystanders walking called 911, reporting... A MAN WITH A GUN IS OUT HERE! Freaky and dangerous situation for the carry person. Better to not open carry unless you're rural and know the local laws.

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game

You are deluding yourself, Rob. I saw a post where some Cali yayhoo was tickled that he got 10 acres in OK for $552000.00! What a maroon! OK is off the list for me :(

Last edited:
I’ve been to two rodeos and a goat roping and I ain’t ever seen anything like that!
LOL, go into town...late night into the early morning. I have seen some strange characters in bars and even in the streets. I used to go to Tulsa bar hopping, looking for a good time. Rarely found it. I still enjoy a trip to Tulsa, but I go into entirely different type of places now.

When I used to go to bike rallies, that was a place to see some things you never imagined. Met some interesting folk at a rally/concert called Bikelahoma. Outside Pryor I believe. Do not believe they have it anymore.

OKS

Point Taken and conceded re the re-hash Serpa and Non OEM gear for Officers on the street. As we had already agreed to disagree, particularly with your opinion v. my opinion re your point 2 above, my rehash was unnecessary and diluted my current comments.

I state my training resume to establish a frame of reference and validity of my point of view. Not all opinions are remotely equal, particularly re weaponscraft, the law, law enforcement, medicine etc. Being a LEO or MIL, does not in and of itself mean much at all re ones' on demand proficiency in weaponscraft, particularly with a handgun. I know my lane. You are not going to see me post re long distance shooting, black powder, hunting, bullseye etc. without significant caveats.

0-25 yrds with a pistol after 300 + hours of sleep away training and 1000+ hours of in service type training, all on my own dime and time puts Open v Concealed carry firmly in my wheelhouse.

None of my certificates were of the "completion" variety. For example, in the Rangemaster Instructor class, there is a written exam (80% to pass) and two shooting exams (Current FBI Qual and Rangemaster Qual 90% to pass). Failure to meet all three standards means no certificate at all.

I managed (98 written, 100/100 on the tests) a 3rd out of 36 and was beaten by an OK State Trooper who was academy cadre (99/100/100) and another prosecutor from Texas (100/100/100)

Your implication and use of the word "completion" was a cheap shot and you know it.

I asked you to provide your training background in an endeavor to glean your frame of reference and POV as well.
You continue to decline to do so. The readers of this thread may draw whatever inference from your silence they choose.

Because something is legal, particularly in the realm of personal safety, does not make it remotely advisable.

1. Walking down main street at midnight in a suit made of 20.00 bills-Legal, just do not be surprised if you wake up mostly naked.

2. It is legal to make all manner of statements to the press after witnessing and/or being part of traumatic and/or newsworthy events-however, it is most often ill advised.

3. It is legal to open carry in the vast majority of states. To do so when concealed carry is available is begging the world (and the bad folks that populate it) to figuratively kick you in the groin or worse. I will decline that experience, thank you.

OkieStubble

I have an issue that this topic fits into, but may be too close to being political. I hope not. Like I said, I type and erase SOOO much for fear of causing drama. Anyhow....

How do you fight the fact that A. you cannot out legislate stupid B. You cannot legislate common sense C. What ever rules are passed, be it open carry, concealed carry, ..... a stop sign! The only people who follow them are the people who do not need the rules to be safe and coexist peacefully in the first place? It almost makes it seem like spitting into the wind, doesn't it? And in comes my defeatist attitude of "why bother?"

I don’t think you’re the only one thinking or feeling this, you are just the one of a few saying it.

Top Bottom