What's new

What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

I am getting deja vu by this, but according to BIC Greece, ASTOR is chrome and polymer coated too: https://gr.bicworld.com/sites/gr.bicworld.com/files/2019-02/BIC-Shavers-Greece-catalogue2017.pdf

View attachment 1251689

Personally I had both great and terrible experiences with ASTOR, from tucks that were bought from different supermarkets.
I was about to say the same, although they are called "stainless", they are listed as having the same coating as the Platinum Chromes.

I wonder if it is more to do with Greek manufacturing standards and quality control as opposed to them producing two different blades with blades being marketed outside of Greece (Chrome Platinum's) having to go through a higher level of quality control than the one's marketed within Greece?

I just got 100 Wizamets because of the 2 dozen or so types I've sampled, this was one of the best AND the one that seems to be an endangered species. Other great blades I've experienced (Kai, Nacet, Indian WS, Voskhod, Ladas) can wait for bulk purchase while I continue to sample others. It will be a while before I determine who rises to the top.

The blade I HOPE to be worthy of a bulk package is a Tiger or a Tatra. My reason is that it comes from a smaller company (Czech Blades) that seems to concentrate on DE blades and avoids lefty moral preening in their general marketing (unlike P&G). It is a tall order though to match the quality of some of the best P&G blades. I'll give the Czechs a try this month. It's not enough for me to WANT them to perform well.

Worth noting that there are now two types of Tiger, Tiger Platinum and the new Tiger Stainless. There is also a Tatra Stainless on the way as well (listed on their website but according to Razor Blades Club not yet in production).

I was about to say the same, although they are called "stainless", they are listed as having the same coating as the Platinum Chromes.

I wonder if it is more to do with Greek manufacturing standards and quality control as opposed to them producing two different blades with blades being marketed outside of Greece (Chrome Platinum's) having to go through a higher level of quality control than the one's marketed within Greece?
I have asked a BIC representative about this in the past, and they told me that they are the same blade, but the BIC CP is meant for the international audience. The actual quote in Greek is:
Θα θέλαμε να σας ενημερώσουμε ότι το προϊόν διπλής αιχμής Astor είναι ο κωδικός που διατίθεται στην Ελλάδα ενώ ο Chrome Platinum ο αντίστοιχος κωδικός που είναι διαθέσιμος για άλλες χώρες και οι λεπίδες έχουν την ίδια ποιότητα.
That might be true or not, it could well be the case that they are are the same blade, but that there is more QC for the CPs because they target a vastly larger market.

Another problem with the ASTORs is that they enter the Greek (and neighboring) market though handlers that really don't know how to handle these blades. For example, I have seen them in an open pack of 20, bottom shelf, extending beyond the shelf, where it was easy to accidentally kick them of have things drop on them. On the other hand, I once found them sold in their own packaging, and these were very good blades.
IMG_20190507_121351.jpg

A 100 pack of Gillette 7 O’Clock Platinum (Yellows). I haven’t seen them for under $20US in Canada in a couple of years. They were on sale so I finally grabbed some.

Not sure if I have ever tried them...

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
My latest blade purchase? About 5 years ago I bought 300 Gillette Wilkinson Sword Indian/Chinese blades that are still in my desk drawer in my office.

Why did I buy them? I was probably sad about something that day. Or maybe I was hungry. I don't remember. But I already had about 1500 blades, so it wasn't because I needed them.

Amazon primed 100 treet durablades today in the blue pack. Tried them last week with a ikon tek and short comb and they performed beautifully. Smooth efficient bbs.

Been out of Personna Reds (Israeli) for over a year, and they were probably one of my favorite blades, nearly impossible to get at a reasonable price, so ordered a package of 200 Personna (Now Made in Germany) + 10 Western Wall combinations off Amazon for $20.00 shipped.

Holy Moly, those German blades while as smooth as the old Israeli made blades, are quite a bit sharper, having used one this morning. - They're Feather like sharp, possibly sharper.

100 Rapira Platinum Lux
100 Lord Platinum
I like both, great shaves, smooth and irritation free. Work great in all my razors plus very inexpensive.
proxy.php

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I like the Voskhod's a lot, supersmooth but last only 4 shaves for me, while most blades r great for 6 shaves for me. Are those Rapira Platinum Lux blades as smooth as the Voskhods?

I bought 400 Supermax Diamonds. All because of a review from The Average Joe on YouTube. I used to follow him because he gives an honest no baloney review. A lot of guys that have YouTube Chanel’s are a bit “fishy”. A bit corrupt. They push certain products. Anyway, 400 Supermax Diamonds and I haven’t even tried them yet. 🤭

Got 100 dorco titan blades for just £2.99 delivered yesterday, silly cheap tbh and I like the way theyve packaged it, seems simple with ten blades in each tuck

Never tried them so can't wait to give them a go

IMG_20210516_152717.jpg
IMG_20210516_152612.jpg

IMG_20210516_152638.jpg
IMG_20210516_152507.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210516_152638.jpg
    IMG_20210516_152638.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
I bought 400 Supermax Diamonds. All because of a review from The Average Joe on YouTube. I used to follow him because he gives an honest no baloney review. A lot of guys that have YouTube Chanel’s are a bit “fishy”. A bit corrupt. They push certain products. Anyway, 400 Supermax Diamonds and I haven’t even tried them yet. 🤭
I like the blue supermax stainless steel, not tried those supermax diamonds, how much 400 set you back mate?

Top Bottom