Zew

Proraso

IMG_20210420_114343.jpg

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Noble Otter ~ Plunder
Razor/Blade:- Karve SS 'SB-D' / Vintage Gillette US Spoiler #5
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- L'Occitane Baux
Tonight Tipple:- Johnnie Walker Blue Label

46EB8E84-54B9-4728-A370-4D3E20A3E419.png

SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, APRIL 20, 2021

This morning’s shave featured the whisker cleaver, the new-to-me Ellis & Allan 8/8 Stubtail. The edge on this 1815 vintage full wedge blade is truly whisker-melting sharp. I’ve never come across a stubtail of this age with as wide a blade. I’ve wondered whether it was purposefully crafted that wide given the crude water and human-powered grinding wheels of that era with the expectation that it would, after honing, approximate the then-known thinner widths? Those of you with a better stubtail knowledge than I please chime in! Although initially hesitant given its sheer mass when compared to my other razors at 4.29 oz, a week long focus helped me dial it in, and now I really enjoy the mug shaves it delivers. The thing I like about my wedge razors is the absolute silence they operate in unlike the buttering toast refrains of more modern hollow grinds. In any case my three usual mug passes left me very smooth.

I enjoy shaving with French Cagehead safety razors. I own a LeCoq fixed cage and two Famex adjustable Cageheads. For some reason I’ve always shaved with the Frankenrazor version consisting of a Rockwell top cap and an ATT Atlas handle and have never shaved with the complete Famex. So this morning I pulled it out, adjusted it to my preferred level of efficiency, and proceeded to enjoy a pure Famex shave. The jury’s still out , but I do think I prefer it to the Frankenrazor version. The MrEE Gold Anodized Aluminum handled and aptly named “Monster”, generated scads of rich Soap Commander lather. Given the sheer size of these tubs, I expect the soap to outlast me. The tuxedo synth knot just feels great, and two ATG passes left my noggin dolphin smooth. I feel refreshed, cool, and velveteen smooth.

RAZOR: Ellis & Allan 8/8 Stubtail (Mug), Famex Safety Razor (Dome)
BLADE: Sharp Star DE
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE LE Aluminum Monster Tuxedo Synth
SOAP: Soap Commander Honor
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by a rinse with Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Osage Rub.

Razor: Schick Eversharp 1950's Injector
Blade: Supply Injector blade (2)
Brush: Omega S-Brush,Synth, 24mm
Bowl: Van Yulay Honeycomb

Cream: VI-JOHN Fruit Fusion

Le Pere Lucien aftershave splash

Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

SOTD-H-Y_2021-04-19.jpg

Brush: Omega 599 Super Badger 22/48
Soap: TFS Tabacum Crepito
Razor: Henson AL13-M head on Phoenix Aluminum Bomb Tip handle
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (3)
ASL: Clubman

Just a DFS. :mellow:

There's nothing wrong with a DFS… except when you're used to BBS shaves. I just wondered how the Henson would be on two days growth. Well, three shaves in with the Henson, and it took a lot of buffing just to get to DFS. I usually put these sort of challenges down to operator shortfalls, but I'm thinking the razor design probably isn't so good for more than one day old whiskers (when said whiskers are coarse, dense, and fast growing).

I want to prove myself wrong though. I now intend sticking to daily shaves to get more familiar with the razor first... if that goes well, then I'll branch out to two (and hopefully more) days growth shaves.
It's an experiment after all, so I'm OK with strange (to me) results for a while. :letterk1:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:
Thank you for the good post. I have the same Henson but haven't used it yet. I read quite a bit about it before I got it , that's why I got the Medium too. The reviews and information all indicated it was on the mild side .

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
A.S.Razor shave, Tue, April 20th 2021

Razor: Everready 1924 (AKA shovelhead)-1924-33 Excellent mid range, different way of loading from back, easy to manipulate around the face. Everready Stream line strop handle for great grip.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(5) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian sandalwood cream- nice sandalwood scent, excellent lather qualities + good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo knot with marble handle :001_wub: excellent lather creator, cloud like soft tips, great scrubber+ great lather painter. It seems the loft is perfect for my brush desire for this tuxedo knot 54mm loft.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala Bayrum + sandalwood + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my ER 1924 shovelhead + a coated Gem blade.
ASR shave Tue, April 20th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

SOD.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
AoS Sandalwood Tallow Formula
Brush
AP Shaving Tuxedo Syn.
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Karve B with C Plate
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’Occitane ASB
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
10/10.
Comments
Coming to the end of this soap. The AP Shaving Syn struggled loading sufficient soap on the bits and pieces of the soap so I ended up scraping some off and put it in the CC bowl. Unlike the Shavemac 177 I used yesterday, this did not have sufficient backbone for the job. After changing techniques, I was able to make sufficient lather. A decent shave, nevertheless.

20210419_091046.jpg

Razor: Timeless Bronze OC .78
Blade: Gillette King C. Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Bay Rhum
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Status
Not open for further replies.