What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

Still in.

I decided to bring out my neglected but good to excellent shave gears, each of them are misfits in a way, but worked wonderfully well.

I'm beginning to like the Shaver Heaven Oatmeal Stout Soap sample.

It's performance was always good, only smell was negative factor.

With uses it is growing on me, but then again I like Arko, Duchess, Evie, Tabac etc and can work with Mitchell's and William's mug soap as well.
So, it seems I'm not a picky person.

Lovely shade e today;
3 pass BBS shave.

IMG_20210417_191635.jpg

Still in.
The ongoing theme this side of the galaxy is working down a puck of Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Soap, it's lasting much longer than I planned for. I'm thinking this inaugural puck will last 5-6 months, mostly using Simpsons Chubby 1-2-3 brushes and using what I feel is an generous amount each shave. My backlog of soaps I'm thinking is going to last about 8-10 years of future restraints.

Razor wise, I've come to learn to love the Rex Ambassador after intermittent use over the last 12 month. Now i've learnt more about it's prefered angles and pressure, it does a great job variety of blades, the adjustability and ease of blade loading result in high usability on daily basis.

Still out. Actually I was never in because my goal for 2021 was to learn to keep my straight razors sharp. I was in the previous five years but when I reviewed the rules for this year I decided to not join. This year I bought a couple sheets of lapping film and did an inventory of the sharpening stuff I had for various uses (woodworking, cooking, etc) and probably later this year I will pick up some diamond paste or maybe not.

I love the theme for this year but I don't want to start something I can't finish. Who knows if I get my diamond paste lust under control I might join in next year.

Ruckin (I have plenty of supplies to last the next decade at least, but I do want to maintain the stuff I have already)

Still in.

I brought up my first DE razor, and after observing it with blade in the razor, I found that it was dented at some places in the Safety Bar.

After some TLC, it was straightened and provided an excellent shave with BBS results.

This is a razor with large blade gap, neutral blade exposure so it'll take sharper blades, and I got good results by riding the cap with this razor.

IMG_20210420_155738.jpg

Still hanging on. Quite a few vintage razor temptations, items added and removed from the cart multiple times. Right now there is a new Deluxe criterion on Etsy in user-grade condition which is just what I need. Hopefully a non-restraining person not on sabbatical will buy it soon I can move on :laugh:

As for the shaving, I've been been rotating between vintage New Deluxes (red/black set), New Improved and modern Rex Ambassador and R41 razors. Blades either vintage Wilkinson Sword Edges or new Gillette Nacets.

Today started with a Fat Boy, Astra blade, Arko and Semogue 830. Excellent 3 pass shave with no feedback from the alum block. I think I am at the end of the Blackstone Men's products sandalwood balm that I bought at TJ Max quite a while ago. Maybe a day or two left. It is a product that is okay but nothing special. The only noteworthy aspect of today is that I notice that my Semogue brushes lose a few hairs every use while my Omega brushes lose none. Not sure if it something that I am doing but I think I clean and store all of my brushes the same way. I anticipate buying an Omega brush once this restraint ends. I really look forward to the days when the rotation calls for Cella with an Omega professional boar brush. I have seen ads that look interesting and after two years of restraint, I plan to take the plunge. For now, I am enjoying getting the most out of what I have in stock. Still in and on cruise control.

Stardate 121115.3
Razor: P&G Gillette Super Blue
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless
Brush: Omega Pro 49 (10049)
Soap : Arko Shaving Soap Stick
Balm : Duke Cannon - Ice Cold

I ran across a couple of brushes this week that were a little tempting, but not enough to cause me to drop out; just enough to make me wish I had used them as my sabbatical exception. I guess the fact that I've only used two of the brushes in my current rotation in the last eight weeks helped me to walk away. I've also managed to sell or trade five brushes this year, so why add another at this time? Yeah I'm still thinking about those that got away, but I'm okay. It may be time to "ignore" the B-S-T Marketplace for a while until this urge passes. Just six more days and four of this twelve month journey will be complete. Crewman #13 still in...

Top Bottom