What's new

The DE razor photography thread - keep your photos coming!

I know that some members here are avid photographers on top of being razor nuts. So this thread is for you.

Meself I stick to my iPhone but my daughter really loves photography too and works in a camera/photo shop. And today she brought home a new macro filter and asked me if I had something for her to try it out on.

So of course I brought out a couple of razors - from the top shelf, as it were. Thus, I brought out two of my very best NOS Aristocrats and asked her to work with those. And the following are the superb results - enjoy and zoom in, see what a great camera can do!

Please start uploading your own photos - no text necessary, just nice wonderful razors to look at for the rest of us, so we can live vicariously through others :001_wub:

8B4FDF4B-29B1-4B3A-B334-49DA633CDD0F.jpeg
8F10FFD4-99FA-473F-9863-C3240F79BBE6.jpeg
FD05F456-A451-4927-87D9-01C634173564.jpeg
9C311E63-EA68-4353-9F5B-7D2EBD984E09.jpeg
B6FBC00D-CD2D-47BB-BD97-E414A5F8337C.jpeg
1B2C1B1D-DADA-4D75-AAFC-2C1CB2EFAC35.jpeg
FCF1A372-E7B4-4337-8779-1A310BC6F32E.jpeg
5632E19A-7319-4E49-A87E-126A8832A46C.jpeg

Last edited:
I know that some members here are avid photographers on top of being razor nuts. So this thread is for you.

Meself I stick to my iPhone but my daughter really loves photography too and works in a camera/photo shop. And today she brought home a new macro filter and asked me if I had something for her to try it out on.

So of course I brought out a couple of razors - from the top shelf, as it were. Thus, I brought out two of my very best NOS Aristocrats and asked her to work with those. And the following are the superb results - enjoy and zoom in, see what a great camera can do!

Please start uploading your own photos - no text necessary, just nice wonderful razors to look at for the rest of us, so we can live vicariously through others :001_wub:

View attachment 1253388View attachment 1253382View attachment 1253384View attachment 1253386View attachment 1253387View attachment 1253393View attachment 1253380View attachment 1253381
Nice job, kid has skills.
and always remember a good photographer makes the camera shine not the other way around.
A close up lens is a nice start with macro photography if she wants to do more and she has a interchangeable lens camera depending the lens she might consider extension tubes. These do the same but do not have glas and do not distort. Other more complex setups are lens reverse rings or belows . Grinn but she already knows light 💡 which is important with blinky thingies
Keep up the good work and have fun 🤩

Very nice! - The Wilkinson has a very cool and clean 1960s design. They spent some time on getting it right. Nice photos, thanks for sharing!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great pics. And great idea too. I’ve been looking intermittently for a macro lens myself but haven’t pulled the trigger. A friend suggested macro filter or tubes (as mentioned above by @Ivo4u2 ) this thread is a motivational one.

Great pics. And great idea too. I’ve been looking intermittently for a macro lens myself but haven’t pulled the trigger. A friend suggested macro filter or tubes (as mentioned above by @Ivo4u2 ) this thread is a motivational one.
If it is mainly shaving or what is called table top product photography I would invest in a light box with some lights and a tripod due to the long exposure times needed for sufficient depth of field.
Both close up lenses and extension tubes will bring the shortest focus point closer and thereby the magnification (it also means infinity is now maybe 30cm). They do not always place nice with zoom lenses!
For stuf the size of a flower or razor a normal macro lens is a smart solution.
If you want to photograph the eyes of a fly in full detail then you start in larger 1:1 ratio and you will need stuff like lens reversal, bellows, focus rails.

The great thing about a close up lens you do not have to remove the lens.
With an extension tube you have to

Drawback you can not quickly go from 10-30cm to 50-infinity because it is still there.
A macro lens can still focus to infinity!
A macro lens should achieve 1:1 or at least 1:2 ratio.
Most lenses with a macro mode be happy with 1:3 same applies to close up and extension tubes on a zoom lens.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
If it is mainly shaving or what is called table top product photography I would invest in a light box with some lights and a tripod due to the long exposure times needed for sufficient depth of field.
Both close up lenses and extension tubes will bring the shortest focus point closer and thereby the magnification (it also means infinity is now maybe 30cm). They do not always place nice with zoom lenses!
For stuf the size of a flower or razor a normal macro lens is a smart solution.
If you want to photograph the eyes of a fly in full detail then you start in larger 1:1 ratio and you will need stuff like lens reversal, bellows, focus rails.

The great thing about a close up lens you do not have to remove the lens.
With an extension tube you have to

Drawback you can not quickly go from 10-30cm to 50-infinity because it is still there.
A macro lens can still focus to infinity!
A macro lens should achieve 1:1 or at least 1:2 ratio.
Most lenses with a macro mode be happy with 1:3 same applies to close up and extension tubes on a zoom lens.
Thanks for the info!
im leanyto a lens not the tubes. I use an adapter for some lenses so I’m not sure if the tube is even compatible.
greatinfo thanks again

Thanks for the info!
im leanyto a lens not the tubes. I use an adapter for some lenses so I’m not sure if the tube is even compatible.
greatinfo thanks again
I use olympus omd em1 mk1 m43 and with adapter I can use older 43 lenses.
If you do lots of macro an older manual focus lens with an adapter works too because with macro you tend to fix focus and rock a bit to find the spot. But you do want aperture automatic for the light.
Some cameras have the option of focus stacking to combine fotos and get a larger dof but it usually takes specialized lenses.

I am a typical holiday travel photographer who has to carry his kit so I am limited in what to bring (2kg is more than enough lol) and work around the I do not have with me or it takes too much time to do.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I use olympus omd em1 mk1 m43 and with adapter I can use older 43 lenses.
If you do lots of macro an older manual focus lens with an adapter works too because with macro you tend to fix focus and rock a bit to find the spot. But you do want aperture automatic for the light.
Some cameras have the option of focus stacking to combine fotos and get a larger dof but it usually takes specialized lenses.

I am a typical holiday travel photographer who has to carry his kit so I am limited in what to bring (2kg is more than enough lol) and work around the I do not have with me or it takes too much time to do.
I’m just getting back into photo now and I tend to get diverted down ally ways (usually after attending a photo club meeting or lecture) like macro when I need to try to master the basics of learning and not forgetting camera settings. I don’t think I’ll do product pics but am interested in flowers and birds. Thanks for the additional info! 😃

I’m just getting back into photo now and I tend to get diverted down ally ways (usually after attending a photo club meeting or lecture) like macro when I need to try to master the basics of learning and not forgetting camera settings. I don’t think I’ll do product pics but am interested in flowers and birds. Thanks for the additional info! 😃
Lol I am wide interested but not specialized in product pics (for bb they are crudely made on the spot with a ifeun, not going to do a table top unless I have time lift)
My pics are more like these on holiday

Top Bottom