What's new

Semogue SOC Mistura | Your Impressions & Mine

You might have answered this before, but how would you compare the C5 Mistura with the SOC Mistura? I like the handle on the SOC, but don't really want a huge blooming ball of a brush.

I have a C5 boar but not a C5 Mistura. The C3 Mistura is definitely not a blooming knot. It has stayed quite compact. It splays well for lathering, but it's not sprawling like, say, a 620 boar (which is a similarly-sized knot). The SOC Mistura, as you know, does bloom quite a bit. Interestingly, the Barbear Classico Mistura, which is the other 24mm version I have, doesn't bloom as much as the SOC. It's a nice middle ground for me, and it has become just about my favorite brush.

As for the C3, I could use it as my only brush. But I have come to enjoy the other Misturas so much that its one minor distinction feels like more of a shortcoming than it really is. It's just barely too compact in use for my preferences. Its scrubby feel almost makes up for it, as it exceeds the SOC in scrub without having any unpleasant scritch at the tips.

I hope that's a helpful comparison. All of my Misturas are absolutely wonderful.

...I hope that's a helpful comparison. All of my Misturas are absolutely wonderful.
Thanks, the whole thread has been really helpful. I'm sure I'll end up with a Mistura, but which one I'm not sure yet. I love the 620, which has bloomed out to a nice cone shape over time (not floppy, though). The C5 boar is also coming along nicely. They are two of my favorites so far.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have a C5 boar but not a C5 Mistura. The C3 Mistura is definitely not a blooming knot. It has stayed quite compact. It splays well for lathering, but it's not sprawling like, say, a 620 boar (which is a similarly-sized knot). The SOC Mistura, as you know, does bloom quite a bit. Interestingly, the Barbear Classico Mistura, which is the other 24mm version I have, doesn't bloom as much as the SOC. It's a nice middle ground for me, and it has become just about my favorite brush.

As for the C3, I could use it as my only brush. But I have come to enjoy the other Misturas so much that its one minor distinction feels like more of a shortcoming than it really is. It's just barely too compact in use for my preferences. Its scrubby feel almost makes up for it, as it exceeds the SOC in scrub without having any unpleasant scritch at the tips.

I hope that's a helpful comparison. All of my Misturas are absolutely wonderful.

Yes, it's helpful.

Senogue 2019 LE Classico (Mistura) barrel.640.png

I'm not wild about the barrel shape, but I should have looked beyond that, and I didn't.

The Mistura I'm very sorry I missed out on is the 26 mm LE (I could have bought one, new, last summer but failed to appreciate the opportunity until it was too late).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

linty1

My wallet cries.
If this has been covered, I apologize, but how do you break in a mistura brush? I'm guessing it's just "use it and enjoy the journey" thing... does the brush it on a towel thing work like it would for a boar?

If this has been covered, I apologize, but how do you break in a mistura brush? I'm guessing it's just "use it and enjoy the journey" thing... does the brush it on a towel thing work like it would for a boar?
Mine needed no break-in. It gradually softened a bit over the first 15-20 shaves, but it was pretty scritchless from day 1, and it had ample lather capacity right away, too.

Caveats:
1. I soak every brush while showering, so I don't know how it would do just wetting the brush and lathering, but as I said, it held as much lather as I could ever want from shave #1.
2. When it comes to boar, I do a couple rounds of soaking and lathering to get rid of the funk before use, but no toweling, no long fridge soak, etc., so my frame of reference might not be the same as others.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mine needed no break-in. It gradually softened a bit over the first 15-20 shaves, but it was pretty scritchless from day 1, and it had ample lather capacity right away, too.

Caveats:
1. I soak every brush while showering, so I don't know how it would do just wetting the brush and lathering, but as I said, it held as much lather as I could ever want from shave #1.
2. When it comes to boar, I do a couple rounds of soaking and lathering to get rid of the funk before use, but no toweling, no long fridge soak, etc., so my frame of reference might not be the same as others.

Exactly so.

Mine was great from the beginning, and improved from there.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm looking at the SOC mistura (after sabbatical). What about the cherry handles, do you think there is a good reason to choose the Taj or Butterscotch handle over the cherry? IOW, what is the main appeal of the resin handle and would you choose differently now than you did before?

So far, I have not had a problem with wood handles on any Semogue or Omega brush. I don't soak the handle part and rub a bit of oil on the wood handles a couple of times each year. I have resin and acrylic handles on some of my other Semogues.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I'm looking at the SOC mistura (after sabbatical). What about the cherry handles, do you think there is a good reason to choose the Taj or Butterscotch handle over the cherry? IOW, what is the main appeal of the resin handle and would you choose differently now than you did before?

So far, I have not had a problem with wood handles on any Semogue or Omega brush. I don't soak the handle part and rub a bit of oil on the wood handles a couple of times each year. I have resin and acrylic handles on some of my other Semogues.

I think you hit it on the head right there/know already with the mineral oil on the handle, I've had my boar for.. oh I don't know.. at least 2-3 years, at least now, and haven't had an issue with the cherry handle, but like you, I don't soak it above the handle. I think? if you use it like how I think you are, you'll be fine for at least a good many years and be very happy. I got the butterscotch/was thinking resin and prob overthinking it on my end. You could also just apply a varnish/lacquer etc to really seal it up, or reseal it in the future?

linty1

My wallet cries.
Oh hey I forgot to add, fellow member here @bjm actually had a Soc boar in cherry up for a sale a while ago, if anybody was looking for one maybe check if that one was still avail.

Seeing as my Mistura got a mention on today's shave I thought I'd post my SOTD here too:

SOTD-H-R_2021-04-19.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Semogue Torga-C3 Finest Mistura 22/49
Soap: TFS Mandarino Tachibana
Razor: Henson AL13-M head on Phoenix Aluminum Bomb Tip handle
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (4)
ASL: Iced Orange (home brew)

An excellent shave. :biggrin:

Today I enjoyed the Henson, even with its lack of blade feel! I aim to go at least a few more daily shaves to see if I can improve my technique with it (before venturing into two [or more] day shaves again).

I thought I'd rescue my Mistura for one shave (during my Omega 599 trial). WOW! For sure the Mistura is my all time favorite brush... but I'll go back to trialing my little Omega 599 softy next shave.

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Waiting for my Butterscotch Mistura to arrive any day now.
It was posted from Portugal, to the UK, 10 days ago.

All my other brushes are synthetics and I'm pretty happy with them. Also have one Omega boar that I'm not very fond of.

Can't help thinking this might be the start of another rabbit hole opening up.
At least I know who to blame for it this time :cool:

Waiting for my Butterscotch Mistura to arrive any day now.
It was posted from Portugal, to the UK, 10 days ago.

All my other brushes are synthetics and I'm pretty happy with them. Also have one Omega boar that I'm not very fond of.

Can't help thinking this might be the start of another rabbit hole opening up.
At least I know who to blame for it this time :cool:
Due to the share of boar bristles in the Mistura there will be some scrub. If you don’t like that at all then a Finest would be a better choice.

Due to the share of boar bristles in the Mistura there will be some scrub. If you don’t like that at all then a Finest would be a better choice.
Thanks for the advice, I'll bear that in mind if it doesn't work out.

The reason I went with the Mistura is because of the scrub though, something that most synthetics lack. Recently I bought a Semogue Pharos synthetic which has some scrub to it. Really like it a lot, and that got me wondering about the Mistura.

The Omega boar on the other hand feels like I'm rubbing my face with the back end of a Porcupine, and it doesn't hold lather. This, despite following instructions from Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers on how to break in boars (some time ago).
Doesn't really bother me a lot, as I much prefer my synthetics anyway.

Just want to try a little more scrub.

The reason I went with the Mistura is because of the scrub though, something that most synthetics lack. Recently I bought a Semogue Pharos synthetic which has some scrub to it. Really like it a lot, and that got me wondering about the Mistura.

The Omega boar on the other hand feels like I'm rubbing my face with the back end of a Porcupine, and it doesn't hold lather. This, despite following instructions from Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers on how to break in boars (some time ago).

Then the Mistura is the right choice :thumbsup:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Which Omega boar?

Top Bottom