What's new

New addition found at antique barn.

I found this for $4. It's in great working condition. What recommendations do you guys have for cleaning? I also might look to have it refinished.

Attachments

• 20210418_191812.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 87
To clean a vintage razor, try something mild (dish detergent, vinegar, citrus degreaser, scrubbing bubbles) and a soft toothbrush. I want to remove soap scum, whiskers and previous owners skin cells. Restoration is another topic.[emoji6]

Congrats on your new tool.[emoji41]

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

If I recall my mythology, it's probably not a Frankenrazor, as Frankenstein's monster could be photographed.

So I'm guessing it a Vampirazor.

@prodigal_de_son, along with having trouble photographing it, can you see its reflection in the mirror?

If you can't see its reflection in the mirror, can you try to film yourself shaving with it? That would look pretty freaky!

Seriously, I am anxious to see what you got.

I'm guessing it's some kind of Gillette adjustable. Fatboy maybe? I probably don't dare hope it would be a Toggle or something.

If I recall my mythology, it's probably not a Frankenrazor, as Frankenstein's monster could be photographed.

@prodigal_de_son, along with having trouble photographing it, can you see its reflection in the mirror?

If you can't see its reflection in the mirror, can you try to film yourself shaving with it? That would look pretty freaky!
Uh-oh! The OP invited it into his house! He's doomed! 🧛‍♂️

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
When I try to open your photo I just get a black box. For cleaning the razor just use the search box and type in cleaning an old razor.

Fat Boy.jpg

It’s a Gillette Slim. As others have mentioned just search here on how to clean vintage razors. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner they work great too, but they will remove any paint from the numbers on the adjustment dial. But is easy to replace that.

I recognized it as a Fatboy as soon as I saw it and started drooling when I saw the $4 price tag. I didn't take a lot of pics but there is some corrosion on it. I wanted to see how far I could take the cleaning myself before resigning to a professional refinish. As mentioned earlier, it is in great working order and will no doubt make a wonderful shaver!

I recognized it as a Fatboy as soon as I saw it and started drooling when I saw the $4 price tag. I didn't take a lot of pics but there is some corrosion on it. I wanted to see how far I could take the cleaning myself before resigning to a professional refinish. As mentioned earlier, it is in great working order and will no doubt make a wonderful shaver!
Okay, I concede, it’s a Fatboy and what a great find at a great price! A good cleaning may surprise you and have you holding off on a pro refinishing job.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would give it a soak, and a clean up with a soft toothbrush and some toothpaste and then use it as is. Right now it has interest and character; replated it will be just another shiny razor and the best thing it has, something intangible, will be gone, for me anyway. Whatever you do, enjoy it - nice find!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Great score at that price. Some Dawn baths, some Flitz polish and some black paint on the numbers and yours will look just like the dozens listed every day on the bay for $120 or more. Congrats!

First, find out if it has the final 1/4 turn lock. This will determine how long you have to soak it in warm soapy water.

Take a bucket, put in some Dawn dishwashing liquid, and then add warm/hot water. Take said Fatboy and put it into said water. If it still has its 1/4 turn, leave it in the water for about 30-45 minutes. Take it out, scrub it with a toothbrush, and dry it with a towel.

Take a good look at it and see if you are happy. If not, put it into another warm soapy water bath for another 30-45 minutes. Scrub it again with a toothbrush and dry it with a towel. Check it out and see what you think. If there are small areas that need more attention, you can use Flitz and a microfiber towel. If there are nooks and crannies that need more cleaning, you can use a Q-tip with toothpaste on it.

NB: If there is any black left in the numbers on the adjustment dial, do NOT (repeat, DO NOT!) use Scrubbing Bubbles. Scrubbing Bubbles are often recommended in threads about cleaning old razors, and it works fine for some purposes, but Scrubbing Bubbles WILL take the paint out of the numbers!

If you are the kind of person who gets the willies about "germs" on old razors, wipe it off with 70% rubbing alcohol and allow it to air dry completely.

Good to go.

Fantastic razor for $4. Seriously.

Oh, almost forgot......if your razor does NOT have the final 1/4-turn, you will need to soak it in warm soapy water for a long time. Just keep replacing the water every once in a while and leave it in there for 14 hours if you need to. This is usually enough to get that final 1/4 turn back.

Hmmm will it draw blood 🩸 for sure will it spill a drop not if it is really hungry 😋
Positive since hair and beeld keep growing when you are dead 💀 you can shave forever

Top Bottom