What's new

Simpson Brushes | Tell Me True | Is Mashing Bad?

I would like to see some videos of the Simpsons brush makers demonstrating proper technique for using their brushes.

+1.

I don’t know how it’s possible to lather without some (needn’t be a lot, but some) splay. Would be great if they could show what they mean.

I do lots of painting and maybe a slight splay. It's interesting that Simpsons is considered a master brush maker except when they say how to use the brushes they make. I would like to see some videos of the Simpsons brush makers demonstrating proper technique for using their brushes.

Sadly I’ve a face for radio ....

We are working on a social media ‘official’ You Tube channel where we hope to introduce products, offer advice, tutorials & talk about a variety of subjects.

I think the kiddies call it a Vlog or something!

Sadly I’ve a face for radio ....

We are working on a social media ‘official’ You Tube channel where we hope to introduce products, offer advice, tutorials & talk about a variety of subjects.

I think the kiddies call it a Vlog or something!

Fantastic! I am very excited about that (as my Tulip 2 Super from IM is making its way on a Fedex truck to me today).

I think Simpson is correct in that mashing will put additional stress on the bristles. However, I find it extremely hard to build lather without splaying the brush. Painting helps but splaying the brush is the meat of lathering.

Only painting the brush will probably make the brush last longer. However, what's the point of lathering then if you get sub-optimal lather by restricting yourself to painting? I know this is subjective but I will splay my brush no matter what. My brushes are doing fine so far and I enjoy building my lather through splaying.
This

A brush that can't be splayed is virtually useless. I, therefore, splay my Simpsons and so far they're holding up fine. I'll take 5 years of high quality lather over 6 years of lesser quality lather any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

This

A brush that can't be splayed is virtually useless. I, therefore, splay my Simpsons and so far they're holding up fine. I'll take 5 years of high quality lather over 6 years of lesser quality lather any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
You shouldn't be using your brush twice in one day. That's bad for it.

😉

This

I agree. I wouldn’t own a brush I couldn’t splay but I make a point not to mash. So far, no problem from any of my 11 Simpson’s brushes

Top Bottom