What's new

Slant Razor Advice

I have both the Fatip Open Comb Slant in chrome, and a vintage Hoffritz. Both give me closer shaves than any of my vintage Gillettes, though it's a subjective measure. Only the Merkur Progress can match them. And the FOCS is very inexpensive compared to a lot of the "boutique" razors that are out there.

I'd recommend the fatip as well. I'll mention above the tie S1 as well since I have seen several say it's their perfect slant, but not cheap by any means.

+1 for the Fatip Lo storto (F.O.C.S. or fatip slant).
If you go trough the fatip slant tread most users (including me) are very happy with it.

M

mtcn77

How does the fatip slant compare to the Yaqi slant?
Definitely, Yaqi Slant has a 'brass' handle and I am hoping Fatip is solid brass all throughout which is sturdier in the long run.
I started revealing the underside of the plating on the Yaqi Slant. They look strikingly similar, imo. It might have been flattery of the sincerest kind given the helix design in their handles which is an unmistakable feature unique to them.

M

mtcn77

Also, cleaning the Yaqi Slant is so much easier than one piece handle designs like Merkur 37C. There is no risk of premature failure of the tightening assembly because everything is visible. The locking mechanism is very smooth and you feel no abrasion, or feel no sense of insecurity that they might strip if mishandled like the Merkur 37C.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Also, cleaning the Yaqi Slant is so much easier than one piece handle designs like Merkur 37C. There is no risk of premature failure of the tightening assembly because everything is visible. The locking mechanism is very smooth and you feel no abrasion, or feel no sense of insecurity that they might strip if mishandled like the Merkur 37C.
Thanks so much..

I have several slant razors.....X3, 37C, S1, FOCS, and Wunderbar. I get pretty good shaves from all of them, but the best results are obtained with the Wunderbar. It steps up the efficiency for me a bit over the others and is super smooth. For me it's an every 2 to 3 day shaver not a daily driver. If I were to shave daily with my slants I would use the S1, X3, or 37C. The FOCS is my least favorite...it's a rough shave compared to my others.....looks cool though.

I have a vintage Merkur slant and I will not sing its praises. Close shave? Absolutely but I get bit with this razor more than any other I own including a double ring.

Dear Fellow Peeps,

I have been wet shaving almost my whole life. In the past I used the usual plastic crap supplied from the from big Corps. It is only due to Folliculitis on my neck over the years that I only recently discovered Safety Razors and proper procedure and soap/lather. I wanna tell ya all that I am not a very experienced Safety Razor dude. About 2 years ago I bought a Merkur 34C Heavy Duty. It seemed like good place to start, and it was. After about 2 years I bought a Merkur 37C Slant. The manufacturing quality on the 37C Slant was poor, so I got it replaced, and I gotta tell ya’s, I experienced a game changing experience and I love it. However the quality of manufacturing on the new one is still not up to snuff.

So my question is, (drum roll please), is there a good reasonably priced slant razor available that anyone would recommned? I know I should probably just do the research (and I did some), but it is I because am always in such awe of this knowledge base, that I choose to come here first. Also, if it is not reasonably priced, I’d like to know anyway, because it might be the last razor I buy.

Yes, I did do a search in Badger and Blade, however I just wanted to put it out there fresh. I feel I need the opinion of the Badger and Blade good peeps expressed freshly and new.

Sincerely and Thanks,
Al

Remember, always run flat out and NEVER lift!
Save your money and don't buy a slant. They are not better or special vs a normal DE razor. Use that money and buy yourself a nice DE....one that you crave. Or if you have a lot of money to spend, then buy both....:osage::letterk1:

M

mtcn77

I have a vintage Merkur slant and I will not sing its praises. Close shave? Absolutely but I get bit with this razor more than any other I own including a double ring.
It left a bit more stubble on my face than I would have liked in the few passes I followed through until the final ATG pass and that irritated my face a little bit.
I wonder if the vintage is different.

Save your money and don't buy a slant. They are not better or special vs a normal DE razor. Use that money and buy yourself a nice DE....one that you crave. Or if you have a lot of money to spend, then buy both....:osage::letterk1:

I have to agree here as well. My slants don't perform any better then my normal DE razors. Maybe they do for some, but I actually get better shaves from my Henson, 3one6, Yates and Blackbird.....YMMV.

M

mtcn77

Thanks so much..
I am being humbled by my inexperience and developing more respect for Fatip in all sincerity. I think Lo Storto would be my choice had I picked one now, instead. The brilliant finish really is my thing.
The issue is, there is a difference in color tone in the product page that I picked Yaqi Slant from with the Yaqi GlobeTrotter in Yaqi's global website - it is darker than in the pictures and I would like more light reflection coming off, to be honest.

It left a bit more stubble on my face than I would have liked in the few passes I followed through until the final ATG pass and that irritated my face a little bit.
I wonder if the vintage is different.

Mine is a Pomco marked version in white bakelite box with Merkur head.

It's a beauty but I only use it after enough time passed to minimize recall on what happened previously.

proxy.php

There are quite a few possibilities. Help us narrow it down by describing your requirements more precisely, otherwise you are just going to hear each person's favorite.

What budget do you consider reasonable? How often do you shave? Do you have a heavy beard? Do you prefer razors on the milder or more aggressive end of the scale? Do you have a preference or aversion toward certain materials (zamak, brass, stainless steel, aluminum, plastic, etc.) So on and so forth...
🤔
Dear Mr.
There are quite a few possibilities. Help us narrow it down by describing your requirements more precisely, otherwise you are just going to hear each person's favorite.

What budget do you consider reasonable? How often do you shave? Do you have a heavy beard? Do you prefer razors on the milder or more aggressive end of the scale? Do you have a preference or aversion toward certain materials (zamak, brass, stainless steel, aluminum, plastic, etc.) So on and so forth...
🤔
Shave everyday mostly. 2 passes with a 34 Heavy Duty Merkur. Love the closness of the Merkur slant. The problem with the Slant is that the thread on the spine is not a thorough thread, in that it doesn't continue around the entire circumference of the shaft (no jokes please, I know it's tempting). Maybe they find this acceptable, but my experience in life, it is not OK.

I used a few slants ...

If you want to spend less money, Parker semi slant.

It is more efficient but also a bit more aggressive than the Merkur

Made of stainless steel, but also a greater expense, I recommend RR Wunderbar. This is the only slant razor left in my stable ..
I sold others.
Thank you. I will look onto it.
Al

Yaqi Slant is also good eventhough the high blade exposure requires you hand-tilt it into a reclined position where the handle almost touch your face while going ATG under the nose.
Also, why did you dislike 37C? I gave that up due to the hidden blade gap not giving me enough feedback and I kept getting folliculitis due to pressure. Yaqi gave more feedback and a milder blade choice in Shark gave even more, so I can now get plum smooth without irritation of any kind.
Excellent feed back my friend. I am ok with the overall perfomance and engineering of the piece, it's just the fact that they are saving money by not giving me a fully complete screw on to which I can thread with.

Top Bottom