What's new

What did you hone today?

Helje in my profile pic was on the hones today. I reset the bevel with the 2k hr glass stone (needed it sort of badly haha, been shaving with it for roughly 3 years with only coticule/jnat touchups maybe a 5k here and there). Sat for a day or so since I have been busy but tried out the 6k HC today and I really liked it.

Compared to the naniwa 5k I would say feedback on both are nice IMO but have not done enough testing to really compare speed. I will say the stone did not build up as much as the naniwa 5k normally does. I think overall I prefer the glass, seems like it will be less upkeep which is what I am looking for.

The razor was finished on the coticule from my profile with running water. Great shave and the razor was definitely needing a bit of sub 5k work.

Honing a Le Grelot on one of my Cotis today.
5F515FF0-C4B1-4CA0-AD5B-A0C214F8B102.jpeg

Used my newer Coticule with my KAKAIME razor. I really like this razor, my only NOS razor from a few years back. I never see them around, it is by KArl KAIser of Solingen-MErscheid. The razor was multiple good shaves off my standard 12k to arkansas and I was hoping the Coticule could improve the edge. Sadly there was little change, maybe smoother but less sharp? This is my only Coticule and I am very surprised by how little it does with water only, very silky feeling. I need to work with it more for sure.

20210408_220940.jpg

So I took a shot on a no name JNAT supposedly from Kyoto, and supposedly a fantastic razor finisher.

It’s dimensions are 7.5x2.5x1, and I figure what the hell, I hadn’t bought any stones in awhile!

Well color me impressed. The HHT was silent and lifeless all along the edge...root in...root out...it didn’t matter...just like the hair was falling across a laser!

I can’t wait to do the shave test later today!

Vr

Matt

Dry Stone:

232F795C-96DA-442F-A1A2-FF9E3D59CD87.jpeg

Razor on stone after the final laps on just water:
EFD191A8-2A66-4A04-8D69-C44456A76E05.jpeg

HHT Results:
BDFE1736-BF5C-496A-BC48-1789E6FA295E.jpeg

Today I tried to learn my Escher for the first time. I found it very slow. Not having any nagura of the same stone, honing was even slower. Honestly I was not impressed neither by level of HHT nor observing the apex with magnification. Later I approached shaving with some reservations, especially that the razor is not my favorit ( although I’m proud of the self made scales from porcelain which match my porcelain set of brush and bowl).
With big surprise the shaving was super smooth and pleasant at the level that does not happen too often. Maybe it was a kind of coincidence, maybe Etschee did the job. Will check it on next razor.
proxy.php

Took a break the past few days from my Greaves with the warped blade. This Le Grelot 151 5/8 is recent acquisition that was a dream to hone. After concluding with a stropping I did an 1/8” tree topping test and it sounded like a machine gun, lopping off every hair it touched. Loaded into my holder behind a Crane, expect first use on Saturday.

04C5B7AD-3965-4139-91DE-432DA92369EE.jpeg

CV Heljestrand MK6
Received 3 days ago, 2 days of spa treatment
Honed on Shapton Glass, 2k HR, 6k HC, to jnat
Shobu Mizu , 2 stone slurry, 10 minutes, finish running water 5 minutes slow to finish
Result marvelous shave, amazed i was able to hone her up to this marvelous edge
The Shobu Mizu Asagi stone is a marvelous magical beast, review comming
Just shaved wow[emoji3]
Shaves differently than my 31,s
First time shaving with. 6/8 heljestrand
Thanks to this forum snd helpful members was able to score a prize razor from the wild and rescue her to a new home, and was terrified to hone her, but went extremely slow focus on technique, bevel set on 2 k, cherry tomato test pass, then 6 k playground fun ,

Finish shobu Mizu edge left me speechless after the shave

Cheers as i an a happy camper[emoji3]
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Above pic pre beauty treatments

I posted in another thread about my Greaves with a warped blade. The challenge was getting at the inside of the apex of the concave side, about 1/4” of the total blade length. But after coming up with one rather elaborate plan I decided that I was overthinking things. After all, someone had figured out how to hone the blade at some point in the past. So I pulled out a 1/4” diameter hard ark rod that I had gotten to hone a bread knife. I marked up the existing bevel with a marker, lay the rod across the spine and edge, and sure enough, that was the existing bevel angle. So I then proceeded to set the bevel properly on this short section of edge. After that I just used a modified version of my normal progression, refining most of the edge with a 2k, 5k, 8k, ILR, black ark, while alternating with a different progression in the concave section, by wrapping abrasive papers/films around the ark rod, first using W/D sandpaper at 2k, 3k, 5k, 8k, then using EdgePro films at 3000 and 6000 (per Zknives.com ~ 10k and 18k equivalent).

Not quite done - will try to run pasted balsa and strop tomorrow. But so far pretty happy with what I have. Will try to get it into the rotation Friday or Saturday.

4397C4CD-CE48-4B43-AC39-036B014C66A1.jpeg
48EB87F9-4EFD-459C-B05A-EBA6D0AF3AE2.jpeg

Top Bottom