What's new

TN passes constitutional carry of handguns

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I don't know about "my argument" cuz it looks like to me, that we agree with each other and are on the same page ideologically. It's only our perceptions on the details about, "how do we get there" that we are discussing my good friend. I'm sure, we both like to wear blue jeans without any wrinkles, we can assume, some ironing is in order. :)

When someone sits in a firearms permit class in Texas, what are they telling them, about understanding the law, when it pertains to carrying a firearm? If I make a list of what the class you sat in to obtain your license teaches, what did they tell you or inform you of, that you honestly didn't already know, before taking the class?

1. Safe firearm storage?

2. Where one can carry and where they can't?

3. The 5 basic rules of firearms safety? ( which every firearm comes with by the way, regardless if it's carried or just owned. )

4. Basic handgun and operational instructions?

5. Discussing the laws and penalties of when self defense is authorized and when it is not? (texas has had concealed carry for decades. Have the percentages of actual cases showed, this isn't already common sense and usage?)

There are all ways going to be the below .1 percentage of the carry population who will ignore common sense and class instruction and do something bone headed. But that will always be considered as isolated incidents where no amount of prevention would alter it.

However, the facts or large percentages show, conceal carry classes and what they teach, including the basic laws and operation of the firearm is and can be considered common sense knowledge.

Please click this link and read this. And click the link within that shows the increases and decreases of firearm classes when it pertains to the actual use and incidents of deadly outcomes pertaining to permit and permitless carry incidents.

very eye opening.

If I put your fingerprints into a records system, to show me if you are a criminal or an law abiding citizen what will it show me? It will show, you are either, "who you say you are" or that you are lying, because the information you gave, doesn't match your prints correct?

So if the print matches what you say, how does that help keeping anyone safer? you are a law abiding citizen and your prints match that. If you are a criminal and you already know you got prints showing that you have spent time in a department of corrections facility, are you going to go thru the trouble of using your prints or even falsifying information to obtain a legal firearm?

as a criminal, if i really wanted to carry a firearm, i think I would just avoid all of that and just start carrying an illegal or stolen firearm? Either one, isn't going to make it anymore or any less dangerous for me on a traffic stop in the middle of the night. I'm going to watch your hands and what you do, no matter how legal or illegal you are or how suspicious or unsuspicious you act, until that dispatcher verifies to me "who you are and who you are not."

I bet every law abiding citizen in Texas, who knows the law and who doesn't know the law, knows exactly what those signs mean.
I bet every criminal in Texas, who doesn't care or give a crap about the law, knows what those signs mean. :)

So you are telling me, a criminal can walk into a Texas gun show, purchase a firearm from a table or someone else and then walk out of that gun show without anyone checking the gun he bought or him? They have no other system in place to prevent this?

of course the licensed dealers need to do a background check. The private sellers as far as I know are making a transaction like you or I could. I also know there are ATF agents and non uniformed police in the crowd as well. You need to come on down for one Rob. 😂

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
of course the licensed dealers need to do a background check. The private sellers as far as I know are making a transaction like you or I could. I also know there are ATF agents and non uniformed police in the crowd as well. You need to come on down for one Rob. 😂

I can only imagine, there might be an oversight at Texas gun shows if they allow private sales between individuals at gun shows, where those individuals could not have "reasonable doubt" that they were / were not selling to a known felon. And there's no way to know, if they are not ID'ing those who enter and run a quick records check as we do here.

Having a computer at the entrance with an off duty officer, isn't hard to do and doesn't inconvenience or hold up the participants who wish to enter.

Re: Tennessee constitutional carry. I’m a lifelong Tennessee resident, and I’ve had a permit since they changed the law to read “Shall issue” instead of “May issue”. While I applaud the change in the law, I’ll continue to keep my permit up to date so as to be able to carry in states that have a reciprocal agreement with Tennessee.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I bet every law abiding citizen in Texas, who knows the law and who doesn't know the law, knows exactly what those signs mean.
I bet every criminal in Texas, who doesn't care or give a crap about the law, knows what those signs mean. :)

Typical cop thought (wisdom).

Did I ever tell you about the buddy that I used to work with at the P.D. (we were on some rough calls together)? After he left the P.D. he worked for the S.O. for awhile, then was a County Constable for years. He finally was elected Justice of the Peace in his precinct.

All of the offices in the courthouse had to have the no carry allowed signs outside the door or you could carry in that office. Everyone else had the signs out except him. I asked him why he didn't have one. His answer was "If some a-hole wants to come in here and shoot the place up a damn sign ain't gonna stop him."

No truer words were ever spoken.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Typical cop thought (wisdom).

Did I ever tell you about the buddy that I used to work with at the P.D. (we were on some rough calls together)? After he left the P.D. he worked for the S.O. for awhile, then was a County Constable for years. He finally was elected Justice of the Peace in his precinct.

All of the offices in the courthouse had to have the no carry allowed signs outside the door or you could carry in that office. Everyone else had the signs out except him. I asked him why he didn't have one. His answer was "If some a-hole wants to come in here and shoot the place up a damn sign ain't gonna stop him."

No truer words were ever spoken.

Great post!

Top Bottom