What's new

Balogna / Baloney

We used to call it round steak. Or poor man's steak. Plain sliced with mustard and lettuce on white bread as a sandwich, fried with eggs for breakfast, or with boiled potatoes for supper. It was a staple lunch sandwich when were kids. This budget sliced sausage could do it all. I dont buy it often these days, but now and again I buy it as a salty, fatty treat. Anyone else enjoy balogna?

It was fed to us as kids, before we knew any better.

Bologna (American style) is basically fat, meat byproducts, "variety meats" and spices ground into a homogeneous pink paste, stuffed into a tube (which may or may not be made from animal intestines) and cooked.

According to the USDA, "Mechanically separated meat is a paste-like and batter-like meat product produced by forcing bones, with attached edible meat, under high pressure through a sieve or similar device to separate the bone from the edible meat tissue."

I'll have to pass on that.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Here in the UK we have a similar sausage called Polony which I ate as a child either sliced in sandwiches or fried as part of a breakfast. It is not the best quality but the taste reminds me of my childhood, which makes me happy; so I occasionally buy and enjoy it as a form of nostalgia. To be honest it tastes pretty good and nutritionally I suspect it is perfectly fine, despite the negative image from which it may suffer. I am all in favour of maintaining food quality and animal welfare but I wonder these days if we reject perfectly good food items simply because they no longer meet our sensitivities. My daughter will eat a sausage or a burger, but not liver or kidney, and not Polony; if I told her it was 'pate de polonaise' or something similar then no doubt she would love it 😆

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
It was fed to us as kids, before we knew any better.

Bologna (American style) is basically fat, meat byproducts, "variety meats" and spices ground into a homogeneous pink paste, stuffed into a tube (which may or may not be made from animal intestines) and cooked.

According to the USDA, "Mechanically separated meat is a paste-like and batter-like meat product produced by forcing bones, with attached edible meat, under high pressure through a sieve or similar device to separate the bone from the edible meat tissue."

I'll have to pass on that.
The first few posts were evocative of childhood memories. Especially fried baloney. Then it all came crashing down with this brutal reality. The final blow was deciding to google “meat by products” 🤮

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
As I was reading the hot dog thread the other night I was quietly snickering at the guys who wrote about their insistence on 'quality' all beef hot dogs with no fillers added. Sure, they're pure beef, but the 'beef' is ground up ears, genitals, snout, etc. Not filet mignon.

I eat bologna once every year or two, usually fried in butter with cheap cheese melted on top and then served on white bread with mustard.

The first few posts were evocative of childhood memories. Especially fried baloney. Then it all came crashing down with this brutal reality. The final blow was deciding to google “meat by products” 🤮
I'm glad no one has mentioned Chinese-made lunch meat yet. It comes in cans. You probably don't want to know the details...

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'll throw a 5 lb. chub on the smoker from time to time.

1618590730104.png

Make your own lunch meat would be my advice. You at least know what is in it. A smoker, a good spice rub and a food slicer can accomplish a lot. Though I don't eat a lot of meat, I prefer it to be recognizable when I do.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
We used to call it round steak. Or poor man's steak.

I remember as a kid going to a fast food joint that had "tube steak" on the menu. I asked my Dad what that was, and he didn't say "hotdog" ... he gave me some longwinded answer about steak meet cut up and put in a tube. (In retrospect, maybe he didn't know and didn't want to admit it.)

Fortunately, I just got a hamburger as originally intended.

I would have been some p!$$ed off if ... expecting a rolled up steak ... I got served a freakin' hot dog.

Mystery meat 🥩 🤣
Basically pet food.

... for the pets you don't like.

I like to get a two pound chunk of it from the deli counter to throw on the smoker. I once tried using the cheap Bar S chub you can find, but it was crap.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Wonderbread and mayo here.

And for all you naysayers up on your high horses unless you are always purchasing whole muscle 🍖 products the fact is that processed meats across the board have some less desirable goodies rolled into them. Nobody's throwing ANY part of that carcass away if it can be used.

Wonderbread and mayo here.

And for all you naysayers up on your high horses unless you are always purchasing whole muscle 🍖 products the fact is that processed meats across the board have some less desirable goodies rolled into them. Nobody's throwing ANY part of that carcass away if it can be used.
I wonder if any of them eat sausages. If they do, nobody tell them what gets put into sausages. 😁

In Canada we call it Newfie Steak in honour of bologna being so near and dear to the hearts of Newfoundlanders that love the stuff more than salt cod for dinner or fried smelts for brekky.

Fried Bologna is as good as sausage, ham or bacon for breakfast and bologna and a slice of Kraft “American” cheese on Wonder Bread is a delicious anytime meal.

I don’t put anything on my bologna which is strange as I put any condiment I can find on my hot dogs. Bologna is flat hot dogs ya see...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I rather like bologna fried or with a good smoke on it, but I don't care for it straight from the fridge. I never liked the residual, fatty mouthfeel that Oscar Mayer bologna has when I was a kid. Just thinking about my years-long, daily regime of "baloney" and cheese sandwiches on white bread for lunch still gives me a mild case of the willies. It was a great day when I finally convinced my Mom to mix things up with other lunch meats.

I haven't made an emulsified sausage, yet, but ring bologna is high on my list for when I get around to it (maybe soon and before the weather gets too warm).

For anyone who thinks any regional or national brand emulsified sausage (including the beloved weiners we've been talking about in another thread and even your finest international sausage) isn't made primarily from trimmings--well, I have some news for you. That's what these sausages and just about any others are all about. That said, there's nothing in the world wrong with trimmings. It's just muscle and fat and some connective tissue like beef steak or slice of ham you devour with relish (except maybe a bit more of that connective tissue).

But don't think much in the way of non-muscle tissue gets into those sausages, either. They would greatly affect the flavor or texture. They have their own tasty uses (blood and liver sausages, head cheese, scrapple, etc.)

In any case, I'm all for using the whole carcass. Like already mentioned, I shudder to think of the tons and tons of quality, tasty nutrition that go to waste because someone thinks it's "gross."

Top Bottom