What's new

Let's see your favorite shaving mug.

gdawg55 - I think with this type of mug/soap combination you're supposed to load the brush off the puck and then either face lather or create the lather in a separate bowl.

The Neumann & Co. mug that I posted a picture of is quite large, so I have a puck of SV Opuntia in it that I use to create a lather within the mug itself. When I'm finished with my shave, I leave any remaining lather in the mug and drape a cloth over the top so that air is able to interact with the soap.

When using vintage Old Spice, or any other vintage soap that comes in a smallish mug, I load the brush and then use a Fine shaving bowl to create the lather in. As with the larger mugs I use, a wash cloth is draped over the top of the smaller mugs when the shave is finished.

Last edited:
gdawg55 - I think with this type of mug/soap combination you're supposed to load the brush off the puck and then either face lather or create the lather in a separate bowl.

The Neumann & Co. mug that I posted a picture of is quite large, so I have a puck of SV Opuntia in it that I use to create a lather within the mug itself. When I'm finished with my shave, I leave any remaining lather in the mug and drape a cloth over the top so that air is able to interact with the soap.

When using vintage Old Spice, or any other vintage soap that comes in a smallish mug, I load the brush and then use a Fine shaving bowl to create the lather in. As with the larger mugs I use, a wash cloth is draped over the top of the smaller mugs when the shave is finished.

Thank you for the insight. That would be the way I currently load and lather my soaps.....good deal.

I know...I know...it's a scuttle, not a mug, but man do I love it.
il_794xN.1204199405_m7we.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Everyone has a different notion of what a mug is, and what to use it for, so I'll answer in terms of function. Not all these are actually mugs, but at least you'll see my approach...

For brush soaking and razor rinsing:
The only one I personally consider to be a mug. I'll soak the brush in it before the shave, then rinse the razor in it during a shave. This keeps the sink water free of shaving stubble for face rinsing, or adding hydration to the brush.

IMG_20210415_121110.jpg

As a soap dish:
My mug soaps (Haslinger, Jagger, etc) live in the left hand one of these two pewter dishes, and the right hand one is for samples, or sample sized serving of tub soaps. I also have one of the Mitchell's Wool Fat ceramic soap dishes, but that won't get put out in the bathroom, if there's already a mug soap out there in the pewter dish. The only lather options in my bathroom are those two (one hard puck and one "sample"), plus one cream.

IMG_20210330_125000.jpg

For bowl lathering:
Or bowl loading in my case. I only use it to get the brush well loaded with a cream or croap, and then "build" lather on the face. My first choice is the cream lather bowl in the first pic, but I also have the two in the second pic, and some may consider the black plastic one to be a mug.

IMG_20200815_134256.jpg IMG_20210326_220317.jpg

linty1

My wallet cries.
Everyone has a different notion of what a mug is, and what to use it for, so I'll answer in terms of function. Not all these are actually mugs, but at least you'll see my approach...

For brush soaking and razor rinsing:
The only one I personally consider to be a mug. I'll soak the brush in it before the shave, then rinse the razor in it during a shave. This keeps the sink water free of shaving stubble for face rinsing, or adding hydration to the brush.

View attachment 1254503

As a soap dish:
My mug soaps (Haslinger, Jagger, etc) live in the left hand one of these two pewter dishes, and the right hand one is for samples, or sample sized serving of tub soaps. I also have one of the Mitchell's Wool Fat ceramic soap dishes, but that won't get put out in the bathroom, if there's already a mug soap out there in the pewter dish. The only lather options in my bathroom are those two (one hard puck and one "sample"), plus one cream.

View attachment 1254506

For bowl lathering:
Or bowl loading in my case. I only use it to get the brush well loaded with a cream or croap, and then "build" lather on the face. My first choice is the cream lather bowl in the first pic, but I also have the two in the second pic, and some may consider the black plastic one to be a mug.

View attachment 1254507 View attachment 1254508

Hey what bowl is that speckled white one with the little handle? I like it!

My grandfather was from Austria.
The mug must have been a keepsake from a family holiday?

Still some relatives there, yes.
My generation did not maintain any contacts, though.
Austria is a federal republic consisting of 9 states. Upper Austria is one of them. Gmunden nowadays has about 13,000 inhabitants. Your Mug says Gmunden - Zur Erinnerung/in remembrance.

I have a bunch of vintage mugs for display and/or soap storage. For lathering I have a large and a small to suit the requirements of the day. Most days I'm frugal, but sometimes a ton of warm lather is perfection.

I have a bunch of vintage mugs for display and/or soap storage. For lathering I have a large and a small to suit the requirements of the day. Most days I'm frugal, but sometimes a ton of warm lather is perfection.
Let’s see them, unless I missed them in previous posts. I had a power outage all day and images weren’t loading well.

Inexpensive vintage store finds, all except one Old Spice mug that came from the B/S/T with a sealed puck. Oh, my wife gave me the pewter mug shortly after our nuptials, to rid the bathroom counter of the old coffee mug that held my Williams puck.

In my further defense, I have given some OS mugs away. Also, I can blame @Gryffindor for pointing me to the Old Spice collectors site.

IMG_4872.jpeg

Top Bottom