What's new

First shave with a vintage Schick injector razor

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
. I can buy 500 Personna blades for around 104$ with free shipping from Connaughtshaving.
I don't think I would buy that many blades of one brand, 1 bought 3 Schicks(7 per Pack) & 1 personna (20 per pack) injector loaders and that was 3 +years ago and I still have a lot of blades left in the loaders. I use other razor brands also like Gem and Gillette so it will take a little while longer to get through them. I will agree with you on the Personna blades being a little sharper and not as smooth as the Schick blades & that is balancing act of you gain on one side but give up something on the other side.
The Personna's will last a little longer also IMO.

I have to see that for myself. I mean, I would love to get that many shaves, but i've heard the same thing about the Personna GEM blades a while ago that most people can get around 10 shaves, but the best I can do is 3-4 shaves and after that the blade starts tugging like a butterknife. If I can get 5 good shaves that would be a win for me :D. Sometimes I feel like i'm cursed with that dreadful beard of mine.
Angle grinder perhaps? ;)

I thought so at first too, but since I get an effortless and very comfortable shaves, I don't think i'm scraping my face. I would have felt if that was the case with both DE and GEM blades and only time will tell about the injectors.
I was never really convinced about pre products but in your case it really might extend blade live...

I don't think I would buy that many blades of one brand, 1 bought 3 Schicks(7 per Pack) & 1 personna (20 per pack) injector loaders and that was 3 +years ago and I still have a lot of blades left in the loaders. I use other razor brands also like Gem and Gillette so it will take a little while longer to get through them. I will agree with you on the Personna blades being a little sharper and not as smooth as the Schick blades & that is balancing act of you gain on one side but give up something on the other side.
The Personna's will last a little longer also IMO.

What can I say, i'm a blade addict lol. I have 300 GEM blades and I don't think I need anymore and 3000 +/- DE blades. I'm also thinking about getting some Schick Proline P-30 as well. Am I going too far with the blade hoarding?

Last edited:
I was never really convinced about pre products but in your case it really might extend blade live...

I wash my face with a shampoo and I ''think'' it helps a bit and softens my hair and i've completely switched to cold water prep and shaving and i'm not sure how much does that help to soften my beard, but it really helps my skin, plus I don't have to rely on warm water to shave myself, which might be useful someday :D.

R

romsitsa

Yes, he did, it turned out very nice. I believe I found that post.

View attachment 1251421

Both were mine :) And there was third, made from bronze, for a friend.

I wash my face with a shampoo and I ''think'' it helps a bit and softens my hair and i've completely switched to cold water prep and shaving and i'm not sure how much does that help to soften my beard, but it really helps my skin, plus I don't have to rely on warm water to shave myself, which might be useful someday :D.
Have you tried something like Prep or 3P before lathering up?

Have you tried something like Prep or 3P before lathering up?

What is 3P? My prep is either taking a warm shower and then I use a shampoo to wash my face and then I splash my face with cold water for a few minutes and start shaving or just splash my face with cold water, then shampoo and then a few more minutes with cold water. Sometimes I wash my face with an Arko stick as well and the rest is pretty much the same. I've tried using an oil once and a Nivea Men cream, but I didn't find any benefit and the razor got very dirty because of that. I have no complains from my prep. It's simple, but it works.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
What can I say, i'm a blade addict lol. I have 300 GEM blades and I don't think I need anymore and 3000 +/- DE blades. I'm also thinking about getting some Schick Proline P-30 as well. Am I going too far with the blade hoarding?
I would think so but blades are not a expensive item, actually they are least cost of traditional wet shaving but I find myself years later with about 500-600 different types of blades almost two much. But that's just myself thinking loud.
The most I heard of one person buying is 40,000 and he was thinking of selling most of them to make a few bucks, he got a good deal he claimed. I think it was on B&B I read this and he showed a few big boxes of them.

I would think so but blades are not a expensive item, actually they are least cost of traditional wet shaving but I find myself years later with about 500-600 different types of blades almost two much. But that's just myself thinking loud.
The most I heard of one person buying is 40,000 and he was thinking of selling most of them to make a few bucks, he got a good deal he claimed. I think it was on B&B I read this and he showed a few big boxes of them.

I'm 33 years old and somehow i'm frightened that some of my best blades might get discontinued or become more expensive in the future and i'm doing some rough calculations to get myself blades for at least 30-40 years :D. I'm thinking about making a list of my razor collection in case I left this world earlier and give an instruction to whoever finds it how much the razors, blades and other crap costs and how much should he look for. It would be a shame if someone sells everything i've collected for peanuts to some lucky guy or just throw them in the garbage. It makes me wonder how many things were thrown away or sold cheap, because of ignorance :D.

I have yet to find a razor in a thrift store locally so I imagine most are tossed out. I think you are wise to stock up on blades since we have really only two manufacturers. A heard Supply might start making their own so there might be a third coming.

After i've witnessed first hand what happened with the Polsilver SI blades, which were sold pretty much everywhere in my country 3+ years ago for around 30 cents for a pack of 5 blades and now they go for around 30$ for 100 blades, I started to understand why some people are stocking up. Before that I never thought of stocking up on blades or imagined that some of my favorite blades might get discontinued or more expensive one day. The good thing is that with minimal care, DE and SE blades can last ''forever'' and can always be sold/traded without an issue.

What is 3P? My prep is either taking a warm shower and then I use a shampoo to wash my face and then I splash my face with cold water for a few minutes and start shaving or just splash my face with cold water, then shampoo and then a few more minutes with cold water. Sometimes I wash my face with an Arko stick as well and the rest is pretty much the same. I've tried using an oil once and a Nivea Men cream, but I didn't find any benefit and the razor got very dirty because of that. I have no complains from my prep. It's simple, but it works.

Shampoo could be stripping oils from your beard - try conditioner instead, it should soften your beard up quite a bit. As for blade longevity, I use Chicks and I usually wind up laying the razor aside after two or three weeks just because I've become bored with it. The blade always has life left in it; I use it as a touch-up razor for when my DE blade goes south after 4 shaves.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My first razor was a Schick injector. Both of my parents used them, too. I remember the Schick fondly. It shaved very close. If I were not so happy with my current razor, this thread might have started me hunting!

Your experience mirrors mine. Make you wonder how come Gillette DE razors took over the market when there was a better alternative available.
Gillette DE razors and blades dominated the market because of superior marketing, not because they were better than Schick, GEM, etc. King Camp Gillette had no particular interest in razors in circa 1903, but he came up with the brilliant idea of disposable blades. He was one of the great marketers of all time. Kind of like today when Keurig coffee pods (which don't produce very good coffee) dominate the coffee market.

My first razor was a Schick injector. Both of my parents used them, too. I remember the Schick fondly. It shaved very close. If I were not so happy with my current razor, this thread might have started me hunting!
This thread did push me off of the fence I was sitting on. I am excited for my type M to arrive tomorrow. Typically I shave first thing in the morning but I plan on holding off until after my razor arrives. My chicks arrived yesterday so I will be good to go.

Top Bottom