What's new

Where can I get samples?

I stopped by my local Macy's and Sephora. I smelled some fragrances on cards. But I want to know what they are like wearing them for a day. I can get headaches from certain scents, and I need to pick scents that will not do that to me. In short, I don't want to buy blind.

Does anyone know good places to get samples? Like, tiny decants? I found microperfumes.com. Is it legit? Has anyone here ever ordered from them?

Luckyscent has a great selection, as does The Perfumed Court. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that come to mind.

Here's some additional sources. I embedded the link with each choice. The Basenotes source will be your best choice for decants. You'll need to be a member of Basenotes but it's well worth it to join, even if you're not very interested in fragrances. I have purchased quite a few decants from Basenotes and they're really well done. Feel free to PM me if you need help with Basenotes.

Decant Shop

Perfume samples and decants

Surrender to chance

Basenotes - Fragrance Splits Board

included links for the previously mentioned sources

The Perfumed Court

Luckyscent

I was asking if there are certain dept. stores that are more inclined to have and distribute samples? I’d prefer going to a store in person, spraying a few things and then requesting samples of anything I didn’t actually spray that day (or of something I was undecided about).

Decant X has a really good selection of fragrances, both niche and designer.
I've got an order of decants due for delivery Monday.
* Hermes Terre d'Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver EDP
* Dior Eau Sauvage EDT
* Tom Ford Noir EDT
* Versace Pour Homme EDT
* Ralph Lauren Polo Deep Blue Parfum
* Prada Les Infusions d'Iris Cedre EDP

I went with decants from Fragrance Decant Boutique. They put 19 decants together in a day, and I received them in three. They are in Texas, as am I.

Their website is pretty terrible, but their pricing, shipping, and labels were great.

Thank you. I found them online as well, and it is good to get a vote of confidence in them. There are so many scammers out there, it seems.

My shipping experience hasn't been as good, though. I ordered from them and another website on the same day. Both USPS, both about the same distance (several states away), the shipping cost was the same, and both created labels in the USPS system the same day. When the first one was delivered, USPS said they were still waiting on the package from the Fragrance Decant Boutique. I'm still waiting for my 4 samples and wondering if I got scammed.

To be fair, I don't know if this is an issue with USPS or the Fragrance Decant Boutique.

Sephora will make you a sample of anything in the store. Just ask one of the employees and they get little sample bottles and will fill it from the tester. I believe the limit is 5 during a visit (that’s all pre COVID—not sure if they’ve changed any rules).

Sephora will make you a sample of anything in the store. Just ask one of the employees and they get little sample bottles and will fill it from the tester. I believe the limit is 5 during a visit (that’s all pre COVID—not sure if they’ve changed any rules).
They may have changed the rules for COVID. I asked for a sample the other day in a Sephora, and they said they weren't doing that yet.

Thank you. I found them online as well, and it is good to get a vote of confidence in them. There are so many scammers out there, it seems.

My shipping experience hasn't been as good, though. I ordered from them and another website on the same day. Both USPS, both about the same distance (several states away), the shipping cost was the same, and both created labels in the USPS system the same day. When the first one was delivered, USPS said they were still waiting on the package from the Fragrance Decant Boutique. I'm still waiting for my 4 samples and wondering if I got scammed.

To be fair, I don't know if this is an issue with USPS or the Fragrance Decant Boutique.

I’m sorry to hear that. They were responsive to questions via email. I would try reaching out to them.

Sephoras around me are not making samples right now due to Covid.

Do the dept. stores ever have samples?
There was a time when they gave them out to anyone walking by. You didn't even have to ask. I could walk through Bloomingdales in NYC from 3rd Av and by the time I got to Lexington I'd have 10 samples. That ended when they started seeing these samples on Ebay.

Many many years ago I actually dated the lady that ran the men's fragrance counter at Dillard's. She was always giving me samples of almost every fragrance I wanted to try and others that I really didn't care for. I really liked it when she was able to get me a tester bottle of what I really liked. Alas she got a promotion and moved away. A few years later I was at Nordstrom's and was talking to one of the ladies behind the fragrance counter who proceeded to try and set me up with her daughter. Mom was working really hard on getting me to take out her daughter and I let her know I appreciated the thought and the look on her face when I told her I was 31 was precious. Her daughter was 20, Mom thought I was just 23 or 24. Anyway Mom and I would always talk for a few minutes every time I stopped by and she actually would give me some samples of some scents I never heard of and I actually liked. I made a comment once about how much I liked Must by Cartier EDP and she actually gave me a tester bottle. She moved onto a different job soon after that and I had not seen her for a few years until we actually saw each other at a restaurant a few years ago.

Top Bottom