What's new

Opinions on these brush makers - any real difference?

I'm wanting to get a nice handmade handle with a synthetic brush. Something different than my WCS Simpson knock-off and my Atomic Rocket from PAA. I'm looking in the $50-$100 range. I'm not a collector, so I'd like to find something unique (ish).

These small-batch brushmakers caught my eye on Etsy.

Wild West Brush Works
Some Making Required
Sawdust Creations
Prometheus Handcrafts
The Cayuen Workshop
Billygoat Brush Works
Farvour Turn Craft

There is some amazing work on this list, but I struggle to know the difference in the quality of the handle and the maker overall.

All of them appear to be very similar. All of them offer similar shapes and designs, prices, and knots. I've heard of many of them and from time to time these makers' brushes pop up on the wet shave Facebook groups and the BTS being re-sold.
Which ones have the best resale value? Or who sets their knots the best? Are some of these makers' brushes more sought after than others? Does one have better service than the other? Perhaps there are some makers that are not on the list that I should consider? Or maybe one of the makers on the list is your favorite? I'm simply seeking opinions and experiences with these makers before I order a brush. I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
TST

I’d also look up these two brush makers, they are my favourites. They are unique and high quality.

• Chisel and Hound, formerly known as That Darn Rob. He does drops on Tuesdays at 5:00ct on his site
• Grizzly Bay, he does drops on Fridays at 5:00ct on his site

Their handles are $60-95 US for the handles and they sell the Fanchurian (badger) knot that they can install, it is an incredible knot. John at Grizzly Bay also sells HMW knots. Neither have any synthetic knots but they are easy to install with epoxy or silicone. There are many threads on how to install them.

Both Rob and John are good guys to deal with or even just speak to.

Edit: I’ve never had or personally seen any brushes from the brush makers you suggested so can’t comment on their quality. I have seen listings for many of them and they look nice.

Last edited:
I don’t think that any of these are going to demand full price or a mark-up if you tried to resell it later, but really there’s hardly any that do (usually that’s more about a rare/hand tied knot, rather than the handle). I think all of these artisans will probably do what you want to do and do it well, so you figure out what kind of material you want (wood or resin) and what size and shape you want. And then you see who has it or can make it, see how you get along with them, and get excited for your new creation. I will say that I heard some troubling things about Cayuen from a social standpoint that would make me lean towards someone else.

Other artisans you could check out are Elite Razors (Bob Quinn), LoveYourShave (Vlad Ferdman), and the maker of Summer Break Soaps is turning some cool handles now too.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
A bit over your price range, but @Rudy Vey will work with you to meet your requirements. Excellent, top tier brushes. Meticulously crafted.
20201126_112633~2.jpg

On Etsy:
Milton at TurnNShave:
20210329_163239~2.jpg

Derek at Wild West Brushworks:
20210327_160315.jpg

Both are also favorites of mine and more in line with your price range.

Hope this helps. :)

I don’t think that any of these are going to demand full price or a mark-up if you tried to resell it later, but really there’s hardly any that do (usually that’s more about a rare/hand tied knot, rather than the handle). I think all of these artisans will probably do what you want to do and do it well, so you figure out what kind of material you want (wood or resin) and what size and shape you want. And then you see who has it or can make it, see how you get along with them, and get excited for your new creation. I will say that I heard some troubling things about Cayuen from a social standpoint that would make me lean towards someone else.

Other artisans you could check out are Elite Razors (Bob Quinn), LoveYourShave (Vlad Ferdman), and the maker of Summer Break Soaps is turning some cool handles now too.
Very impressed with the selection at elite razors! Some gorgeous handles. I’ll need to wait for drops from the other companies. Thanks!

I have a Cayuen brush on the way to me now, I'll give my thoughts once I get it (if you haven't already pulled the trigger on your own). I've heard favourable reviews about the handles, so we'll see how the knot performs. I asked for a tuxedo-type synth to be put in mine.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I like the Billy Goat brush so much I immediately ordered a second brush. I am braking the first brush in atm. No one is it visually gorgeous it exceeds my expectations in so many ways. It is a big brush and is fanning out well. I will keep you updated on the progress of the brush.

A bit over your price range, but @Rudy Vey will work with you to meet your requirements. Excellent, top tier brushes. Meticulously crafted.
View attachment 1247713

On Etsy:
Milton at TurnNShave:
View attachment 1247714

Derek at Wild West Brushworks:
View attachment 1247716

Both are also favorites of mine and more in line with your price range.

Hope this helps. :)

Great brush collection!! Congratulations! :a29:

I also endorse your recommendation for Rudy Vey!! He is a fine gentleman who does excellent work!

Welp. I did a thing.

CH1.jpeg
CH2.jpeg

After pouring through hundreds of pictures from all makers listed above (and then some), I decided to order this looker from Chisel and Hound - along with the Fanchurian V10 knot. This was the last brush available from Rob's most recent drop. I was able to find pictures of all the brushes he has made recently and honestly this is the one I would have ordered anyways! I dig the shape, the straightforward design, and the gorgeous color. And it was still there, all alone, available, the last pick of the draft, just sitting there waiting for me to order it.

I was originally looking for a synthetic knot, but I decided to spend a little more money and go for the badger Fanchurian knot since I already had a good performing synthetic knot with my PAA Atomic Rocket. It will be my first badger brush, so I'll need to figure it out. Any tips on breaking in a badger brush? Any experience with Rob's Fanchurian knots?

Pretty excited about this one.
TST

"Other artisans you could check out are Elite Razors (Bob Quinn), LoveYourShave (Vlad Ferdman), and the maker of Summer Break Soaps is turning some cool handles now too."

These are my 2 favorite guys for custom handles!
I have 20+ brushes from them - fast and great work.

Pics from both
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I’d also look up these two brush makers, they are my favourites. They are unique and high quality.

• Chisel and Hound, formerly known as That Darn Rob. He does drops on Tuesdays at 5:00ct on his site
• Grizzly Bay, he does drops on Fridays at 5:00ct on his site

Their handles are $60-95 US for the handles and they sell the Fanchurian (badger) knot that they can install, it is an incredible knot. John at Grizzly Bay also sells HMW knots. Neither have any synthetic knots but they are easy to install with epoxy or silicone. There are many threads on how to install them.

Both Rob and John are good guys to deal with or even just speak to.

Edit: I’ve never had or personally seen any brushes from the brush makers you suggested so can’t comment on their quality. I have seen listings for many of them and they look nice.

I will second this. I've got a sleuth of 7 Grizzlies from John and 3 from Rob aka C&H formerly TDR. Their work is excellent and they are good guys. You mention Sawdust Creations, I believe that is Rob's father.

I've also got two of Derek's Wild West brushes that I acquired second hand via the BST and they are very high quality and nice.

I've got a couple of Rudy's brushes and had him do some work on some others (reknots with ShaveMac Badger) He does excellent work and is a super good, nice guy to do business with.

And finally I'll give a plug to Bob @ Elite Razor, another brush artisan I've dealt with and bought from who does excellent, high quality work and is a fine gentleman.

Regarding your question about "high resale value" - that's tricky. I honestly don't think the resale value is particularly great on most of today's artisan brushes with the lone exception of Wolf Whiskers (Peter is another great guy who does outstanding work) but I think this is primarily because his are so difficult to acquire as he works off a wait list and the spots fill up quickly, also his output has slowed down somewhat over the last few months. Basically there's just not as many of his brushes around as many of the other artisans, hence they seem to fetch a higher price. The only other ones I can think of that really hold value are the more rare, expensive ones like Varlet and vintage Rooney. Not even M&F or Paladin or high end Simpsons really demand high resale value compared to what they initially cost. Doesn't mean they are not fine brushes, but to me the single biggest factor on resale value is scarcity.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Welp. I did a thing.

View attachment 1248471View attachment 1248472

After pouring through hundreds of pictures from all makers listed above (and then some), I decided to order this looker from Chisel and Hound - along with the Fanchurian V10 knot. This was the last brush available from Rob's most recent drop. I was able to find pictures of all the brushes he has made recently and honestly this is the one I would have ordered anyways! I dig the shape, the straightforward design, and the gorgeous color. And it was still there, all alone, available, the last pick of the draft, just sitting there waiting for me to order it.

I was originally looking for a synthetic knot, but I decided to spend a little more money and go for the badger Fanchurian knot since I already had a good performing synthetic knot with my PAA Atomic Rocket. It will be my first badger brush, so I'll need to figure it out. Any tips on breaking in a badger brush? Any experience with Rob's Fanchurian knots?

TST

You made a good choice. Rob's work is excellent and you're going to love the Fanchurian knot.

Welp. I did a thing.

View attachment 1248471View attachment 1248472

TST

Glad you found one, she’s a beaut for sure 👍

I have the Fanchurian V9, the previous version of the knot. It is a fantastic knot, it is scrubby without scritch while still being soft. As for breaking it in, just give it a cleaning when you get it as some natural hair brushes have the animal funk, then start using it.

@JWCowboy, yes Bobby from Sawdust Creations is Rob from Chisel and Hound’s dad.

resale value is usually better with hand tied knots which are above the price you've listed.

the Best resale I've seen on brushes is Dogwood Handcrafts, his brushes are amazing quality and his acrylic pours are beautiful (and in your price range). He stocks a wide variety of knots including boar and synth in addition to Badger. Best of all, he has a waitlist so you can easily get exactly what you want without the stress of catching a drop.

Top Bottom