What's new

Gillette slim vs rex ambassador in comparison to karve razor

i know this has been asked a million times before but in my case its kind of a different story, im a head shaver i like a razor that is in the middle between mild and medium aggressiveness i don't like an overly aggressive razor and i heard that the rex ambassador is too aggressive even at lower settings i would like an adjustable razor that is smooth and efficient at the same time for reference my favourite plates from karve are B,C plates so which of these razors would be best for me ? how smooth is the slim adjustable is it better than the rex ? is the rex too aggressive for someone with my preference for plates from karve or are the reviews i read online from people saying they are too aggressive are people with sensitive skin ? your help would be appreciated i have been confused on which one to get for around 3 month now

Might want to give the Merkur Progress a look as well. Not too aggressive on the lower settings. I have a Slim but haven't used it in years so I can't comment on it. Never used the Rex. The Progress is a nice performer...smooth and comfortable (at least as a face shaver).

I definitely prefer my slim over my experience with the Rex ambassador.

Like you mentioned, I'm one of the people that even at the lower settings I just didn't enjoy the tenuous nature of the feel while using the Rex ambassador.

But others really like the shave they get from the ambassador. So who knows which one you are?

Now, the Slim, for me, is not as smooth as my Karve razor. The Chris Bradley razor just locks down on that blade so well and so close to the cutting edge. It's really hard to beat it in terms of smoothness and consistency.

But if you want an adjustable, the slim is excellent. I can shave with it on a four or a five, but I usually go with a two for that super smoothness and comfort.

Somebody mentioned the Progress, and for me that one is going to be the opposite of the Karve because it is kind of a scrapey sounding razor and doesn't provide very much support close to the edge on the bottom of the blade. But maybe that's what you're looking for. The slim is definitely smoother for me.

(Sent from mobile)

My Rex is a 2020 (P), and I would say that at 1-2 it compares quite reasonably with the Karve B/C.

Slims are comparatively cheap enough that one would easily be worth a try, before investing in a Rex.

I use Rex and for me it’s quite aggressive, i don’t own karve but for me rex@2 is almost like Rockwell 6s plate #3-#4. So I keep my Rex at 2-3. I tried Slim a couple times and a choice to go from mild to aggressive is broader than Rex on mild side.

I have a Karve. The C is good for my face, but I need something more efficient on the head. I use the E on my head. The Slim is a wonderfully mellow razor on the face and head; for me 4-5 on the face, 7-8 on the head. I like the Progress, but it draws blood more than any other razor on my head when cranked above 4, where I like it. A Muhle R41 is awesome on my head.

My favorite head shaver is the Henson medium. It was the first razor to give me BBS on the back fringe of the head.

If were forced to pick between the Karve and the Slim, I would pick the Slim. It is much easier for me to use on the head. (I personally like a lighter weight razor on the dome).

I LOVE my rex ambassador and never cared for the slims I've had. I'm a head shaver and ONLY use the rex ambassador on my head. Settings 3 and lower are mild so I usually stick to setting 3. I do 3 passes for a bbs dome. I recommend starting at setting 1.5.

Another benefit of the rex is the amazing grip which helps with head shaving and reaching behind the head.

Honestly, the rex ambassador is my favorite head razor and face razor. Even over my timeless 0.68 polished.

- Fayiz D.

From my last head shave

- Fayiz D.
proxy.php
proxy.php

I would say: get a slim (don't waste too much money on it)......try it and see if you like adjustable razors (it's probably the least expensive + it's a classic).
If you happen to like using it above #5 and want another razor.....then get the Rex.

I would say: get a slim (don't waste too much money on it)......try it and see if you like adjustable razors (it's probably the least expensive + it's a classic).
If you happen to like using it above #5 and want another razor.....then get the Rex.
Got one in excellent condition for 90 , did i get ripped off? 🤣

I LOVE my rex ambassador and never cared for the slims I've had. I'm a head shaver and ONLY use the rex ambassador on my head. Settings 3 and lower are mild so I usually stick to setting 3. I do 3 passes for a bbs dome. I recommend starting at setting 1.5.

Another benefit of the rex is the amazing grip which helps with head shaving and reaching behind the head.

Honestly, the rex ambassador is my favorite head razor and face razor. Even over my timeless 0.68 polished.

- Fayiz D.

Agreed, the Ambassador is a fantastic head shaver. I'm still working on it feeling smooth on my face

Top Bottom