What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

C.V.Heljestrand 5/8 barber's notch, shoulder less.
I have seen some razor of the same shape made by other swedish manufacturers.
This time, I found one from C.V.Heljesrand.

DSCN7636.JPGDSCN7635.JPG

Well, another one today. This is a NOS Kyoei with a 2" blade for trimming my beard. Not quite shave ready with a bit of grease in the scales. Should clean up fine, but I will leave the minor pitting. Maybe penetrate it with some microil to make it inert.

This was to be my last Japanese razor for a while. But someone just gifted me a Japanese razor that will show up in a few days! Just when I think I am out, they pull me back in again (from The Godfather).

PXL_20210413_220515455.jpg

Interesting etching.
I have a 13/16 W&B near wedge with a George Washington etching.
I also have a 7/8 W&B near wedge with no etching.
I just love the way these things shave.

Yours looks like a 7/8, right?

Yes, this eagle razor is about 7/8. I am looking forward to trying it...probably next week.

Vr

Matt

I am still on the Filarmonica theme, and just received my first Fili13 this week.

Looks like it has never been on a hone and it is sad to see that whoever owned it for the past decade or so didn’t take precautions to preserve such a treasure. There was actually active rust on the blade.

Cleaned it up a bit, I am not going to go too far and loose the gilding. Honed it and shaved. Took a bit of work to set the bevel, so factory edges that's below par is not something new!

Shaves like a dream😍

A86A761B-ECF8-4115-97AB-9D1FA66FC798.jpeg

Last edited:
I am still on the Filarmonica theme, and just received my first Fili13 this week.

Looks like it has never been on a hone and it is sad to see that whoever owned it for the past decade or so didn’t take precautions to preserve such a treasure. There was actually active rust on the blade.

Cleaned it up a bit, I am not going to go too far and loose the gilding. Honed it and shaved. Took a bit of work to set the bevel, so factory edges that's below par is not something new!

Shaves like a dream[emoji7]

View attachment 1252373

That’s a cool one [emoji1375]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of a few recent purchases arrived today, more on the way!

Two razors that have nothing in common other than having belonged to the same collector, who is now unloading his collection.

Le Grelot 151 5/8, hollow ground round point post 1931 (the blade is etched with Medaille D’or Paris 1931)

W. Greaves & Son, 13/16 near wedge barber’s notch - references Sheaf Works but not Sheffield let alone England, so I am guessing 1850-1870 (feel free to disagree!), non-original scales.

In general in good shape, though there is a bit of active rust on the Greaves to take care of.

E8CE45F5-B5DC-405F-AFBA-1F487E633671.jpeg
78A154BA-5988-4866-B04E-08E08D1FA42E.jpeg

Two more arrived today. Both are question marks to some extent in terms of history.

Top: The only labeling on this razor is “J. Chadwick”. I am thinking it is Sheffield perhaps 2nd quarter of the 19th century. But have struggled to find out any other info. Scales are pretty cool, it is a translucent material.

Middle: This blade is French. The words Bordeaux and Renault are clear enough “Catherine” also appears to be on the tang, a few other words are almost worn away. I had planned to rescale this using some scales that I recently made (bottom of the photo). However you can see the issue - it won’t fit! The scales I made have a standard 4.6” spacing between holes, but this blade is 4.9” from pivot hole to the tip of the toe. I guess I need to make some more scales! It is also heavy, 57g just for the blade.

9BDB7E7A-BB11-4132-ABBD-EBA96BD467E8.jpeg

Top Bottom