What's new

Does canned foam still work after 2-3 years when unused?

I recently ran across a rusty old can of Barbasol when I was cleaning out my grandmother's attic.
No real idea how old it is, but I'm sure it must be several years old at least.
It still works great, I use it when I'm on extended camping trips - no complaints !

I had a green Gillette foam lather can purchased in 2013, used a few times and then I stopped shaving.
When I went back to shaving in 2015, all that came out was watery goo, not usable at all.

That was my 1st and last foam lather purchase.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've got a can of Barbasol in my shower that is so rusty that if I drop it on my foot I'll get a Tetanus shot! It's gotta be 5, maybe 7 years old...only half gone I'd say, and still werkin' fine.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I think that a can that is a few years old will be fine. A can 30 or 40 years old and you might have a different story.

I had an old can of Gillette goo and it still worked as lousy as the day I bought it. So pretty sure it works. Just does not magically much better by age. Somewhere I should have a small proraso can....

I just bought a can of white Noxzema from Ebay. FYI I bought the Italian version a few days ago and didn't care for it at all.

Mine is an older than 5 years Gillette foamy. Can has got rust at the circles but works just fine when I use it sometimes for nostalgia sakes.

I got a Gillette standard foam can from 2008, when i first used it about 2 months ago it worked perfectly well, foam gushed out fast, seems this can stays good for very long. I also still use 2 cans of Brut (one foam, one gel), both work great, both were also bought in 2008.

Until 2018, i shaved only with electric razors 😯

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I got a Gillette standard foam can from 2008, when i first used it about 2 months ago it worked perfectly well, foam gushed out fast, seems this can stays good for very long. I also still use 2 cans of Brut (one foam, one gel), both work great, both were also bought in 2008.

Until 2018, i shaved only with electric razors 😯
That is some serious shelf life my friend!

I've got a can of Barbasol in the shower that I THINK sez "rustproof can" on the label that has been in there at least 5 years, and has rust so bad on the top and bottom I expect it to blow, LOL! Time before the last time I used it the foam came out as liquid. Could have been real cold, and it sits against an outside wall.

I of course left it in there!.... anyway, next use, it was fine!

Top Bottom