What's new

Cold water shave with a boar hair brush

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have been enjoying cold water shaves and want to do more but is it possible to use a boar hair brush?
I use cold water rinse after each pass when shaving for 1 1/2 years and love it, I do not need to use aftershaves with Menthol but I do have a few. As for your Boar shave brush just soak it in a cup for about 2-3 minutes minimum with warm or cold water and that will help make your lather. All boar brushes should be soaked to get the most out of them prior to shaving to prevent breakage and will be more enjoyable to the face (softens them a little), Should dry at least 24 hrs approx before next use from my limited research . Boar hairs are hollow and it takes a few minutes to hydrate them(Sorry, if you knew this already?). But other's reading this thread it might help them with a boar brushs!

You could soak the brush in warm water, then change over to cold water when shaving. I'd suggest trying a lukewarm water temperature for shaving, with a cold water rinse.

I have been enjoying cold water shaves and want to do more but is it possible to use a boar hair brush?

I've been doing this for years with all brush types. I soak my boar and badger brushes for 5-10 minutes prior to use.

I don't see why not. I have a whole stable of boars and badgers (and a couple of synthetics), and I exclusively cold-water shave. I tend to shave after I shower, and I usually soak the brush in lukewarm water while I shower, so maybe 5-10 minutes. Pretty much the only shave tool I haven't used just as much in cold water shaving as I used to with warm water is my brush scuttle, and that's just because it's kinda counterproductive to keep your lather warm if you're having a cold shave.

It's a beautiful thing! Especially in the heat of late summer and the only air conditioning is an oscillating fan and your sweat. Just soak your brush long and make your lather wet and sloppy. (Takes some of the cool away to build a tight lather.) Oh, and a cold razor feels good too.

Since I started using a scuttle a few months ago and get hot lather every shave,I can't shave with even lukewarm water let alone cold!! what happened to you people? Have you all gone mad? :wink2:

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I think if my memory serves me correctly my Grandfather shaved with cold water and a boar everyday of his life.

Yes it is possible, you can use tab water. Hold the brush from the hairs (tips of the brush up side) let it get hydrated under the tab water and squeeze and release under the tab water some 20-25 times. By these squeezes and releases you apply a pressure towards to the hairs to force them absorb water. Of course do not squeeze too much in order to get get dammage your brush hairs.
This method will help you to fast hydrtae your brush.

Sorry, but I can't imagine anything less pleasant than a boar brush and cold water; undoubtedly my shortcoming :)
Are you one of those guys that think boar brushes are like whisk brooms? My boar brushes are softer than most two-band badgers, after soaking. I don't really care for brushes that are so soft they just fall over in use.
😄

Are you one of those guys that think boar brushes are like whisk brooms? My boar brushes are softer than most two-band badgers, after soaking. I don't really care for brushes that are so soft they just fall over in use.
😄
Well, my experience is that backbone can be achieved in a brush that is also soft on the face, but again, it is only my version :)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I much prefer to shave with cold water and especially enjoy shaving in winter when the household tap water is especially cold, in fact the colder the better. I use only badger brushes and do not soak them as I find doing so neither necessary nor beneficial. Instead I simply submerge the entire brush under the water, including the handle, for a few seconds, then squeeze most of the water from the knot. I load the damp brush from the puck and start face lathering. It works for me every time, and more importantly I really enjoy it 👍

Top Bottom