What's new

Dropped My 6/8 Aust on the floor after shave this morning

Evening Gents,

I laid my razor open on my shave towel this morning while cleaning up. Then I promptly forgot I laid it on the towel and picked the towel up and sent the razor flying across the bathroom. I picked the razor up and inspected my edge and it looks like I did put a bit of a wave in the edge in the middle of the blade. With this said I have been touch up, finishing honing my own razors for 8 months now with the only two stones I have needed an 8K Shapton and ILR finishing stone with slurry then running water.

My Question:
For this type of edge damage is it possible to get the small wave or bow out of the edge using the 8K stone? Or do I need to get it to a honemeister and have them do the 1K up progression? Any experienced advice would be appreciated, thanks.

For any chips in the edge I would advise a stone coarser than 8k, no more than 4k would be my preference. I think some pictures would be helpful to see what you mean by a wave in the edge.

For any chips in the edge I would advise a stone coarser than 8k, no more than 4k would be my preference. I think some pictures would be helpful to see what you mean by a wave in the edge.
Thanks for the reply.. I will try to get some Pictures when I get home. It is so faint I barely could see it up close with the light. No chip in the blade at all, just looks like it rolled to one side slightly about an 1/8 length of the blade. I just remembered I do have a 5K Shapton I use on kitchen knives. I think I will work it on the 5K and see if I get a good result, if I do I will then continue my normal progression..

Happens to the best of us. Sorry for your morning.

Inspection sounds like priority. That move normally results in chips/dings as bending hardened steel normally results in breaking or snapping vs bending or tweaking. But anything can happen of course. Good light and lots of inspection should answer that. The sharpie test and fine stone as suggested would be next step.

Evening Gents,

I laid my razor open on my shave towel this morning while cleaning up. Then I promptly forgot I laid it on the towel and picked the towel up and sent the razor flying across the bathroom. I picked the razor up and inspected my edge and it looks like I did put a bit of a wave in the edge in the middle of the blade. With this said I have been touch up, finishing honing my own razors for 8 months now with the only two stones I have needed an 8K Shapton and ILR finishing stone with slurry then running water.

My Question:
For this type of edge damage is it possible to get the small wave or bow out of the edge using the 8K stone? Or do I need to get it to a honemeister and have them do the 1K up progression? Any experienced advice would be appreciated, thanks.

if it were mine I would completely reset bevel starting with my 1.5 shapton Kuromaku.......then run through my usual progressions.

just to be sure.

im glad no injury.

camo

if it were mine I would completely reset bevel starting with my 1.5 shapton Kuromaku.......then run through my usual progressions.

just to be sure.

im glad no injury.

camo
Thank you for the advice.. I came to about the same conclusion when I got home last night and checked the edge with my loupe.. this is a unique razor and this is probably better dealt with by a professional.. I will be shipping this out to Sprecher for assessment and a fresh hone.😝 good news, I have a few more razors to get me bye while I wait. 😁

My sympathy, and empathy. I hope that you used every curse word in your vocabulary. I did, when I dropped my first Iwasaki Kamisori on the floor.

If you can bear to take a picture, you might get some useful advice. For my Iwasaki, the damage was all at the very front, so I just ground it down, and now I have a perfectly functional razor with a shorter edge.

I'm surprised that there is not a sticky on this forum listing the two indelible rules of straight razor shaving:

1) Never catch a falling razor
2) Never shave naked

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My sympathy, and empathy. I hope that you used every curse word in your vocabulary. I did, when I dropped my first Iwasaki Kamisori on the floor.

If you can bear to take a picture, you might get some useful advice. For my Iwasaki, the damage was all at the very front, so I just ground it down, and now I have a perfectly functional razor with a shorter edge.

I'm surprised that there is not a sticky on this forum listing the two indelible rules of straight razor shaving:

2) Never shave naked
Amen.

2) Never shave naked
I dropped a near wedge on its point on the tiled bathroom floor, and found myself making up a stream of whole new swear words and combinations. I never knew I could even talk so fast let alone swear so fast.
It’s like when you hit a deep pothole in a car or drop a bottle of your favourite scotch, only worse because you know all too well what a delicates and fragile creature that edge is.
You lovingly crafted that steel on a series of fine abrasives to the very limit of your skills, your concentration, your intuition, taking great care at every stage with constant checking under the loup and candle.
And finally when, it’s gleaming bright , polished and perfect, now able to shave a human face with effortless comfort, you bounce it edge first on the tiles of the bathroom floor.

I dropped a near wedge on its point on the tiled bathroom floor, and found myself making up a stream of whole new swear words and combinations. I never knew I could even talk so fast let alone swear so fast.
It’s like when you hit a deep pothole in a car or drop a bottle of your favourite scotch, only worse because you know all too well what a delicates and fragile creature that edge is.
You lovingly crafted that steel on a series of fine abrasives to the very limit of your skills, your concentration, your intuition, taking great care at every stage with constant checking under the loup and candle.
And finally when, it’s gleaming bright , polished and perfect, now able to shave a human face with effortless comfort, you bounce it edge first on the tiles of the bathroom floor.
I feel your pain.

Top Bottom