What's new

Coca Cola Seasonal Specialty

458F029D-56B9-43D7-BBC0-2624E5B2913B.jpeg

If you are fortunate enough to live in or near a community with a large Jewish population, I humbly suggest you keep an eye out for this Passover treat. Kosher Coke.
It reminds me of Mexican Coke; a true improvement (albeit very subtle) over regular formula Coca Cola. I can only find it around the Passover season and always look forward to grabbing a few bottles.
FCB6C164-322B-496D-A529-E3E93A2366DC.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Is sugar a no no during Passover? (I honestly have no idea what Passover entails).

Alas, I’ll never try this as I don’t live anywhere close to a Jewish community and I have gave up drinking soda.

But there was really nothing quite as good as an ice cold glass bottle of Coke on a hot Summer day.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Is sugar a no no during Passover? (I honestly have no idea what Passover entails).

Alas, I’ll never try this as I don’t live anywhere close to a Jewish community and I have gave up drinking soda.

But there was really nothing quite as good as an ice cold glass bottle of Coke on a hot Summer day.
Soda in a glass bottle is pretty hard to beat.

I do not know what is going on with Coke for Passover. It seems to have gotten more scarce around the DMV (DC, Md, Va) in recent years. Do look for the yellow caps.

Sucrose is really is common table sugar whether beet or cane derived. I do not think the difference between regular high fructose corn syrup Coke and Coke for Passover is subtle at all, although to my tastes Coke for Passover is not nearly as good as Mexican Coke, at least the good Mexican Coke made with 100% cane sugar, although I have heard that some Mexican Coke has HFCS in it, which seems an awful thing. I hate that Coke for Passover only comes in big plastic jugs, too. I do not think that helps the flavor!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?

Just add some peanuts!

By the way, it is stretching my memory, but I think the deal is some Jewish thinking, but perhaps not all, is that the corn from which high fructose corn syrup is made renders regular Coke not kosher for Passover.

American coke is made with High Fructose Corn Syrup, whereas Canada, Europe and most of the world is made with cane sugar.
Mexican coke was always made with cane sugar but has since been switched to High Fructose Corn Syrup for the domestic market. They still produce coke with cane sugar for the export market.

Legion

Staff member
By the way, it is stretching my memory, but I think the deal is some Jewish thinking, but perhaps not all, is that the corn from which high fructose corn syrup is made renders regular Coke not kosher for Passover.
Yeah, apparently leavened foods like bread are not kosher during passover, but that extends to legumes, rice, corn...

As others have pointed out, it's probably only an issue in the US, as almost everybody else in the world uses cane sugar in the recipe.

On a slightly related note, there is an interesting documentary about a Dr Pepper factory that kept using sugar for years after the main product switched, and all the related dramas that caused.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have a tall slim glass Coca Cola bottle labelled 'Medio Litro' and 'Hecho En Mexico' which is a memento from a wonderful tour of the USA by my wife and I in 2019. It seems like a lifetime ago now and that is the last time I drank a carbonated beverage. One thing I know is that friends of mine who are very overweight and constantly on a diet seem to drink gallons of the stuff - normally the sugar free or low calorie versions. Apologies - derailing the thread a bit 👍

I did find some kosher for Passover coke in Viriginia the other night, so I guess it was not wholly absent from the DMV this season.

Top Bottom