What's new

Do you have backups?

linty1

My wallet cries.
Do you have something that you love so much that you have a backup of? Just in case that Titanium razor thanos' itself? Or that brush maker retires? Must admit I have two of Larry's brushes from wd (24mm silvertip in a butterscotch handle, set/drilled an extra 5mm) that are exactly the same, gave the backup to a sibling, and now am contemplating getting a third, of the exact same... you?

I like variety, so I have quite a few straight razors, DE razors, strops, brushes, soaps, etc. If one were lost or damaged, I could live without it.

However, I did find there was one thing I could not live without. I had been using a bowl from a mortar and pestle set as my lather bowl. One day, the bowl slipped out of my hand and broke. I had to order three different mortar and pestle sets before I found a suitable replacement with the right size, weight, and texture. I probably should order another one as a spare, but I could use one of the other two in an emergency.

Not really, but I do have 2 Karve Razors. Only because I wanted to buy a few more plates for my original Karve that came with a B plate only and found one on sale with the plates I wanted for a few bucks more for the full razor.

I also stocked up on Personna Israeli Reds as they are apparently discontinued. Not sure I believe that, but I have enough to last me many years now.

Of course i do! My backup Yaqi silvertip is on its way from China! And of course i have backup for some other Yaqis. And for my 2 razors. We must be responsible men and be ready for the worst!

Oh yes! It's the Windsor from Above The Tie, which is just the perfect machine for me. The Windsor SSH1 (with the highest blade gap of the 3 plates to choose from) has replaced the R41 as my daily razor and while I tried quite some exclusive razors, none has convinced me as much as the Windsor.
So much so that I ordered a second handle (the short Atlas I love so much) and two of their copper baseplates on top of the second cap I already got with my set initially. It wasn’t known at that time, if Above The Tie would retire the original Windsor line, which was introduced in 2017, and so I wanted to make absolutely sure, my precious would always stay with me.

While I would certainly miss any of my (less than 10) brushes, I don't care for backups with brushes. I'm a bit crazy but not really mad, so if e.g. my Chubby 2 Silvertip in Butterscotch would get lost, I would probably look for one, but meanwhile and anyway the others will do just fine.

Here are the two Windsor with the new Windsor Pro (the one at the top), which I added out of curiosity and for fun, of course. :wink2:

210319_14050-AboveTheTie-Windsor_Windsor_Pro-family_f.jpg

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I don’t have a ‘back up’ plan.
I have many DE razors, and SE razors.
And many blades for both types.
Also I have razors and blades for 2 and 3 types.
And I own one straight razor.
And I also have an electric shaver.

I have backups to all my favorite razors.....Henson Ti22, Blackbird, Yates, and soon 3one6. My mind always tells me I need a second just in case the unforeseen happens. As soon as I find my favorite brush, I'll probably duplicate it as well. Whatever I don't end up using or needing I'll pass along to my sons one day.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have spare parts for my Jagger, and my Merkur open comb. If they stop manufacturing and I run out of spares, I'll just find something else I enjoy. I have a couple of other razors I can limp along with in the meantime.

Big stockpile of blades, and a stockpile of soaps I haven't tried yet. As for brushes, I do have a spare to fall back on if one of my main two fails, but it's not a duplicate. The main reason for me stashing away a few spares, and building a little stockpile of consumables, is to move away from online shopping where possible, and go back to using real world sellers, who only want cash, and not personal data.

Once in a while I thought the oneblade core was the razor for me and I was afraid the company would go bankrupt. So I bought some extra.
One is in my covid hospital dop instead of travel dop where it was before. Because mindless holiday shaving

But oneblade blades are rare. So you want a razor with normal de blades. Broman is so difficult to get forget it.
Next best thing is the snmirn futul mk2 so far it shaves with most blades and it is cheap enough (for now) so I ordered a spare for holiday.

I have more than enough other razors, brushes, soaps in case something else breaks down. Together with the blades enough for 5 years of shaving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom