What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Yates Precision - H Plate

Gillette

Ziaja Yego

Ziaja Yego

Head and face shaving. 9,6/10

IMG_20210412_155045.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Game Changer .84 P with HD handle
Blade: Astra SS in the blue pack (4)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Rating: 9.8

Saturday, 4/10, rushed but excellent morning shave on 3 days of growth. BBS everywhere except for the neck (DFS) after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, and no nicks or irritation.

In this razor, the Astra SS felt sharper than a Gillette Silver Blue - there was no cutting resistance felt with the Astra SS relative to the GSB, and the Astra SS felt just as smooth.

Razor: GEM Micromatic Open Comb, chrome plated, with the two bumps on the baseplate
Blade: GEM by Personna SS PTFE (18)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Rating: 10

Great shave this morning on 2 days of growth. Easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes. No burning or irritation. I should easily be able to get 20 shaves out of this blade.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday,April 12th 2021

Razor: Gem 1912 NOS- Mfg 1921ish, excellent razor, easy to manipulate around face, good results usually. Gem MFG sold millions of variants over the decades because they where just that good IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(3) excellent blade charteristic's, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Soap: Speick- nice spicy scent, excellent lather qualities + good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi boar brush 24mm- after break in method and losing some hairs on the 1st & 2nd cleaning it is performing very well and happy to have a few brushes for a different change of feel while lathering. A few brushes on the way!
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem 1912 with a coated Gem blade.(it does not get much better for a shave today)

GEMonday, April 12th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Mon Shave.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap
AoS Sandalwood Tallow Formula
Brush
Paladin Chief
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
UK Aristocrat
Blade
Personna Lab
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’Occitane ASG
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
10/10.
Comments
Another excellent shave. This is one vintage Gillette that is a winner

- Brush: Chubby 2
- Razor: Red Tip SS
- Blade: Personna Med Prep (1)
- Soap: B&M Reserve Waves
- Aftershave: B&M Reserve Waves
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose, Hyaluronic Acid

A Red Tip with a Med Prep is about as perfect a combination as I have found. Such a great shave.

My CH2 is about as good a brush as I have found as well. Love this one.

10/10

A903F523-1328-4953-B135-880AE3339024.jpeg

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Occam's OREN with Three Dot Plate
Blade: Kai ProTouch MG
Soap/Cream: Arianna & Evans Peach & Cognac
Bowl: Timeless Blue Shave Bowl
Brush: Semogue Cherry Wood Handle SOC Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Alum Stick, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, A&E L'Orange Noir
Rating: 9.5/10 Very Good 2 1/2 pass BBS shave. Five tiny weepers, No cuts or irritation. Mindless carefree shave. Changed the plate back to the Two Dot for tomorrow hopefully will be fewer to no weepers.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I posted this already over in brushes, but took the att ssm1 for its first run:
09082B80-C6A5-484D-9098-5B6D2995F7D9.jpeg

And it was very mild, like Asd2 mild, and honestly? I loved it. First stroke I kinda had to do a double check to make sure it was cutting and I hadn't just angled it wrong, but it had. Four passes, nice and slow. A joy. Finished with thayers and a little lotion.

Razor: Gamechanger .84 OC
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Brush: Omega Boar
Pre: Hot towel with glycerine soap and a few drops of eucalyptus oil.
Soap: Williams Mug Soap + a spot of Cremo

10 out of 10! Finally!

I've had a few shaves in the nines since picking up wet shaving a few months ago, but this was the first perfect 10. BBS all over, no weepers, no irritation, smooth feel on the Alum. I swear I use other soaps and creams besides the Williams, but dang if it doesn't pretty consistently give be the best shaves.

Razor: 65 Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Nacet (0)
Pre: Cremo Lavender
Foam: Barbasol Original
Result: 9/10

This was the first shave not using a brush and soap that has surpassed the aforementioned. The Cremo really helps a lot, and just like Proraso pre-shave, the magic really happens during the second pass. I picked the Lavender version of Cremo to complement Barbasol, which I believe has a lavender component to it, and they worked very well together with the Barbasol scent being more dominant and the Cremo boosting the backline Lavender while adding complexity. The Barbasol 1919 somewhat clashes with the Barbasol Original, but Cremo Lavender is perfect alongside it. I rubbed together a large pea-sized amount of Cremo in my hands using lots of water, and then rubbed the slick and bubbly lather into my 3 day old whiskers, then massaged a golf-ball size of Barbasol in letting them both sit for a couple of minutes to do their thing.

The first pass was a little tuggy, hence the rating, but I think it was merely the blade wiping itself clean. Once I rinsed off, my face was smooth, soft, and very close. Applying pass 2 of the newly enjoyable scented Barbasol, I knew it was going to be good. It went on very creamy, and my face felt really good, not adding any more Cremo, just like when I use Proraso pre-shave. It's only necessary on the first pass. A tiny amount of Cremo has staying power and kept my face slick and soft even after it was rinsed off.

Then I started shaving...oh yes, very comfy and smooth! My neck is always pins and needles, even with the good tallow stuff, and a little more so with the canned goo. But not today, not at all. Touched up my tough neckline with almost no tugging and had no redness or pain whatsoever. I have no interest in using my beloved Simpsons brushes any more, I prefer just using my hands and always have plenty of lather that is always rich and can be thinned with water if required.

The rinse-off was nice and clean, not sticky or rubbery in the slightest, like it was with the Barbasol 1919. My face felt great just getting ready, and long before I walked out the door. The Cremo/Barbasol combo provides the most unique post-shave I’ve yet to encounter. I did my usual warm and cool water rinses and that's it. My skin is soft, hydrated, and downright relaxed. Several hours later my face feels exactly the same. Rejuvenating shave day!

IMG_0261.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_1167.JPG

Preshave: a hot shower
Soap: Taconic Urban Woods
Brush: Omega 10083 boar bristle
Bowl: Fine lather bowl
Blade: half an Astra SP (new)
Razor: Facon Kamisori style shavette
Aftershave: No.63 balm

Rating: 9.7/10

My first shave with a new $10 dollar shavette that uses 1/2 DE blade. ..I'm thinking this is the best 10 dollars I've spent this year..so far. The fit, finish, and machining on the Facon razor is amazing, given the price. It has good balance, a grippy handle, perfect blade exposure (for me), and the geometry makes for a comfortable shave. I'm a DE guy, though I have shaved with straights now, and then. I don't like any of the 1/2 DE blade shavettes I've used, (I've tried a few), except this one. I've used my buddy's straights, (several), and though I enjoy shaving with those, (very slowly, I'm not great at it), I'm not up for the maintenance on a good straight, (maybe some day). This little shavette felt intuitive, it was a pleasure to shave with, it took a good 30 minutes for me to do 3 passes, but, no nicks!, and a very good close shave...(my face feels good)

The Cremo really helps a lot, and just like Proraso pre-shave, the magic really happens during the second pass.

They can call me a barbarian, but I've started lathering a jellybean-sized drop of Cremo along with hard soap a lot of the time. I lather as usual, add some extra water, then whip in the Cremo. The glide is just crazy, especially making touchups without relathering.

Last edited:
Top Bottom