What's new

Help identifying vintage Gillette razor

I'm relatively new to wet shaving, but loving it so far. Recently received this razor that belonged to my grandfather and I have some questions:

1. Is this a single ring Gillette pocket edition?
2. It has no serial numbers. Any way to date when it was made?
3. Polish it up or leave the patina?
4. Is it brass?
5. Can I use it everyday or should it be kept on the shelf?
6. In the photo that shows it with a modern blade, one side has more blade exposure than the other. Is that by design?

I appreciate any help with these questions! 20210411_131208.jpg20210411_131129.jpg20210411_131100.jpg20210411_131033.jpg20210411_131000.jpg

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I'm relatively new to wet shaving, but loving it so far. Recently received this razor that belonged to my grandfather and I have some questions:

1. Is this a single ring Gillette pocket edition?
2. It has no serial numbers. Any way to date when it was made?
3. Polish it up or leave the patina?
4. Is it brass?
5. Can I use it everyday or should it be kept on the shelf?
6. In the photo that shows it with a modern blade, one side has more blade exposure than the other. Is that by design?

I appreciate any help with these questions!View attachment 1249992View attachment 1249993View attachment 1249994View attachment 1249995View attachment 1249996

1. This is your basic Frankenrazor. Old Type head with a ball-end Tech handle. I think that without the correct handle, there's no way to tell what set the head came from. No collector value, but it's not a bad combination.

2. Sometime in the 1920s for the head, and post-1938 for the handle. Some of the more knowledgeable members could probably give you more precise estimates, but I don't know enough minutiae to be of much help there.

3. Give it a good cleaning first, then see how much patina is left. I probably wouldn't polish it, because I don't have the patience for that kind of detail work.

4. Yes.

5. If you're asking if the razor is usable, yes. Once it's cleaned up, I see no reason why you couldn't shave with this everyday. If you're asking whether you should use it or preserve it, I say use it. It only has sentimental value, so there's no reason to put it on a shelf. Heirlooms are always better if you can use them.

6. Not by design, but because of design changes. It's not a problem with your razor, if that's what you're wondering. It happens with all the Old Types and New Improved. You can try to meticulously position the blade so the exposure is even, you can pull the blade all the way to one side so you have a milder side and a more aggressive side, or you can do what I do and give the blade a little twist just before you snug up the handle.

IMG_20210411_160004461.jpg

This gives a blade exposure that varies over the length of the edge, but I haven't found it to be noticable when I shave, and it makes both sides of the razor feel the same.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

the Single ring is different razor, like this:

Your razor is called Ball end, both are nicknames given by collectors, Gillette didn't give name to razors (except for a few).
Your razors head should have a handle similar to this:

Single rings and Ball ends belong to the Old type branch of Gillette razors. This was Gillettes first head design, used from the begining till 1929. Before 1921 it was THE Gillette razor and became Old type after 1921, to differentiate the from the New improved line of Gillette razors.
A couple of different Old type versions, just for further confusion:

Gillette razors were serial numbered from 1904 till 1921, so yours was made between 1921-29.
From 1921 the New improved razors got serial numbers.

Family pieces are always lovely :)

Recently received this razor that belonged to my grandfather and I have some questions:
1. This is your basic Frankenrazor. Old Type head with a ball-end Tech handle. I think that without the correct handle, there's no way to tell what set the head came from. No collector value, but it's not a bad combination.
It seems to be common to see the Old Type and New Type razors with Tech handles. I'm sure at least part of it is because of the tendency for the original handles to crack.

But it's kind of interesting for me to wonder about the history. Did the handle on Lad's razor crack to the point it affected its usability, so Lad's grandfather bought a Tech and then found out he just didn't like how the Tech shaves, so he tossed the Tech head aside and put the handle on his beloved Old Type where it survives to this day?

If it hadn't always been in Lad's grandfather's possession I would guess whoever sold it just replaced cracked Old Type handles with handles from Techs that had damaged heads.

But in Lad's case I suspect his grandfather may have really valued the shaves he got from that Old Type head to sacrifice a newfangled Tech for, or at least enough to find a handle for it.

So, yes use it! I think your grandfather would be proud. Besides it's one of my favorite razors to use.

As an aside, for anyone who has cracked early ball-end handles, they generally can be repaired, there are threads here that show how, so please don't throw then out.

There are at least two threads on cleaning vintage razors such as this.

This one is current:

This one is a sticky:

You will be able to remove all the corrosion fairly easily and quickly. I did it with Bar Keepers' Friend. But other methods are suggested. You can try them out on an old copper penny first. (Just make sure you don't polish a collector's item penny.)

I am nervous about the corrosion around the posts. I hope they remain strong. Never over-tighten the handle; just tighten enough to secure the head. You can use a M5 nylon washer, which fits perfectly in this razor head.

The big teeth at the ends are bent, but probably are not a problem. Put a blade in, tighten the handle, and examine the two sides of the head to see if the top and bottom pieces align evenly, and the blade aligns with the teeth. If one side is good, and the other bad, use the good side. In the photo, it looks good.

When loading the blade, put the top cap on a level surface, drop the blade in, drop the bottom plate on, hold it down with two fingers and tighten moderately. Examine the blade to see if it is aligned satisfactorily; if not, adjust it by pushing the side tabs. As was mentioned, you can center it or have more extension on one side, in which case you can use the milder side for around you nose and chin. Or you may prefer starting shaving with just the milder side.

Tip: Do not shave in the shower with this (or any three-piece DE razor), as you do not want to drop it. And you need a mirror.

When using a new razor, always start by placing the cap against the cheek, then gradually angling the handle down until you get blade contact, then experiment with the angle as you shave. Generally, you will be better off with an acute angle, in this case with the handle at about 4 o'clock. You can also angle the head at a slant as you shave. Both these points were made in a very early Gillette advertisement for the razor. Also, use minimal pressure: the blade should be making contact with the whiskers, not pressing into your skin. I think this is a remarkably easy razor to learn to use, as long as you don't press too hard, and use a good blade.

The RazoRock Old Type head for $8 is compatible with the original Gillette head. If one of the pieces from your razor goes bad, you can substitute one from the RazoRock. However, the RazoRock shaves a bit differently - it's milder. If your razor goes caput, you might simply buy a RazoRock head.

If your razor cleans up well enough to use safely, and you like the shave, quit while you are ahead. You can get a perfect shave easily with an Old Type. What more can you ask for?

There are at least two threads on cleaning vintage razors such as this.

This one is current:

This one is a sticky:

You will be able to remove all the corrosion fairly easily and quickly. I did it with Bar Keepers' Friend. But other methods are suggested. You can try them out on an old copper penny first. (Just make sure you don't polish a collector's item penny.)

I am nervous about the corrosion around the posts. I hope they remain strong. Never over-tighten the handle; just tighten enough to secure the head. You can use a M5 nylon washer, which fits perfectly in this razor head.

The big teeth at the ends are bent, but probably are not a problem. Put a blade in, tighten the handle, and examine the two sides of the head to see if the top and bottom pieces align evenly, and the blade aligns with the teeth. If one side is good, and the other bad, use the good side. In the photo, it looks good.

When loading the blade, put the top cap on a level surface, drop the blade in, drop the bottom plate on, hold it down with two fingers and tighten moderately. Examine the blade to see if it is aligned satisfactorily; if not, adjust it by pushing the side tabs. As was mentioned, you can center it or have more extension on one side, in which case you can use the milder side for around you nose and chin. Or you may prefer starting shaving with just the milder side.

Tip: Do not shave in the shower with this (or any three-piece DE razor), as you do not want to drop it. And you need a mirror.

When using a new razor, always start by placing the cap against the cheek, then gradually angling the handle down until you get blade contact, then experiment with the angle as you shave. Generally, you will be better off with an acute angle, in this case with the handle at about 4 o'clock. You can also angle the head at a slant as you shave. Both these points were made in a very early Gillette advertisement for the razor. Also, use minimal pressure: the blade should be making contact with the whiskers, not pressing into your skin. I think this is a remarkably easy razor to learn to use, as long as you don't press too hard, and use a good blade.

The RazoRock Old Type head for $8 is compatible with the original Gillette head. If one of the pieces from your razor goes bad, you can substitute one from the RazoRock. However, the RazoRock shaves a bit differently - it's milder. If your razor goes caput, you might simply buy a RazoRock head.

If your razor cleans up well enough to use safely, and you like the shave, quit while you are ahead. You can get a perfect shave easily with an Old Type. What more can you ask for?
Thanks for all the tips. I'm hoping to try it out tomorrow morning. Good to know about the nylon washer- I wouldn't have thought of that.

It seems to be common to see the Old Type and New Type razors with Tech handles. I'm sure at least part of it is because of the tendency for the original handles to crack.
Old Type as well as New came with ball end handles, so don't write it of as frankenrazor too soon.

Old Type as well as New came with ball end handles, so don't write it of as frankenrazor too soon.
I realize that. However it is easy to tell the difference between a ball end handle from a New or Old Type from a ball-end handle from a Tech. The one in the opening post is not an original Old Type ball handle.

I recently explained the difference here: A Deep Dive Through Vintage Gillettes - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-deep-dive-through-vintage-gillettes.605996/#post-11210959

The handle on your LC looks like it's aluminum (I think that's what later model Tech handles were made of, someone can correct me) made out of one piece rather than the brass handles earlier razors where made of. The original ball handles were made of three pieces, the brass tube with the ball inserted in one end and the threaded top in the other. Most of the original brass handles have developed stress cracks that start where the end pieces are inserted. Many cracks are minor and most I think can be repaired. But I think it's because of the cracks that many of the old handles have been replaced with Tech and other handles. If you look closely at pictures from sites like this: mr-razor Gillette Rasierer - http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Gillette%20Rasierer.htm , or even auction sites I think you can see the difference. Look especially at the ball-end, which looks to me to be bigger on the original handles, and also the knurling on the handle has gaps on each end on the brass handles where patent info is stamped.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Heirloom razors are fun to use whether they are Frankenrazors or not. You can use them and think of the previous owner and the fun times that you had in the past. Use it with pride and please let us know how you get on with it.

The razor cleaned up easily and I used it this morning with a Derby Extra and Wickham's Shamrock Tweed. Slid the blade to one side and used the milder side of the razor. My face is a little rough and I'm more interested in smoothness than an agressive shave. The Derby blades were just what I could find locally.

Thanks for all the good advice. It was great to shave with my grandfather's razor. It was a real blessing to grow up next door to my grandparents and spend so much time with them. As a little kid I remember watching my grandfather shave many times and I was always fascinated by the way he made this lather magically appear in his cup. I really appreciate having this connection to him so many years later.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The razor cleaned up easily and I used it this morning with a Derby Extra and Wickham's Shamrock Tweed. Slid the blade to one side and used the milder side of the razor. My face is a little rough and I'm more interested in smoothness than an agressive shave. The Derby blades were just what I could find locally.

Thanks for all the good advice. It was great to shave with my grandfather's razor. It was a real blessing to grow up next door to my grandparents and spend so much time with them. As a little kid I remember watching my grandfather shave many times and I was always fascinated by the way he made this lather magically appear in his cup. I really appreciate having this connection to him so many years later.
You are fortunate indeed to have an heirloom razor; I would trade every razor I own, and a lot more, for a razor used by my Father. 👍

Reactions: Lad
"You are fortunate indeed to have an heirloom razor; I would trade every razor I own, and a lot more, for a razor used by my Father." -- Amen Brother. I remember my Dad using an early Super Speed, and I remember playing with said Super Speed as a kid, and then somewhere in that space that life happens when you're busy doing other stuff, it was gone. Which probably explains why I have like 5 NDC Super Speeds in varying states of condition--my favorite was picked up for $1 in a dusty bin somewhere. I also picked one up this past weekend that was sitting abandoned in a warehouse antique store for $3. I picked it up, opened it and then set it down and walked away and my wife said, "you seriously didn't just do that did you? Look at this place, it deserves better, it deserves a little love after all this time." So yeah, use that razor Lad, use it til it's used up... sometime in 2299 or later.

"You are fortunate indeed to have an heirloom razor; I would trade every razor I own, and a lot more, for a razor used by my Father." -- Amen Brother. I remember my Dad using an early Super Speed, and I remember playing with said Super Speed as a kid, and then somewhere in that space that life happens when you're busy doing other stuff, it was gone. Which probably explains why I have like 5 NDC Super Speeds in varying states of condition--my favorite was picked up for $1 in a dusty bin somewhere. I also picked one up this past weekend that was sitting abandoned in a warehouse antique store for $3. I picked it up, opened it and then set it down and walked away and my wife said, "you seriously didn't just do that did you? Look at this place, it deserves better, it deserves a little love after all this time." So yeah, use that razor Lad, use it til it's used up... sometime in 2299 or later.
That's a good wife!

Top Bottom