What's new

Barbasol 1919

I have used Cremo as a pre-shave for several years. Tried the Barbasol 1919 today as a pre-shave alternative to Cremo. I felt the Barbasol 1919 provided a slicker base than Cremo, by a nudge. They are both fantastic for slickness and protection. I still prefer the Cremo original citrus scent, but the Barbasol 1919 is similarly "lightly scented" and not an overpowering barbershop scent. IMHO, Kiss my face is still a fantastic product and has the best post shave feel, but I only have purchased it in the pump jar....and prefer the squeeze tubes of Cremo and Barbasol 1919. One last thing: Both the Cremo and Barbasol must be wetted down during application for the best results. This gives a very thin protective coating to your sking. I saw someone reviewing Barbasol 1919 on youtube and complaining that it was gumming up his razor. He was not wetting the product down properly, and applying it to thick.
True indeed

Used a pea sized amount of the 1919 as a pre-shave for this mornings shave. The stuff is very slick, creates a nice barrier, and has a gorgeous scent. A little Barbasol Original canned goo rubbed in on top for good measure and I had a shave no worse than using Tabac or Speick, and I didn't even need a brush, how about that!

IMG_0240.jpeg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I found this at a local supermarket and took a flyer on it. I knew it wouldn't lather, but got it anyway out of curiosity. I've always liked the smell of canned Barbasol, even if I don't care for the performance. I shaved with it this morning. I give it a solid "meh". Its like the used Honda Civic of shaving creams. It'll get you where you want to go - in this case a shaven face - but its not much fun on the way. The smell was okay, but very fleeting. Very mild compared to the can. I guess it was "Barbasolly", but not particularly distinct or memorable. I rubbed it on with my fingers since I didn't want to risk getting a brush gunked up, and of course it doesn't lather anyway. But then my fingers were slippery, even after rinsing them, until I wiped them with a towel, so that's wasn't cool. I missed the satisfaction of whipping up the lather to just the right consistency and the visual effect of scraping it off as I shave. But otherwise the shave was fine. Uneventful. Close enough and no weepers or nicks. And that's pretty much it. So if that's the kind of shaving you like, then I guess its fine.

So this is the original stuff that the Army bought in crap loads back in WW2 so it wouldn't have to issue brushes to the troops? I could kind of see using this to shave out of a canteen cup. It would probably work okay with very minimal water. I can appreciate the historical aspect of it and how Barbasol appealed to men who got issued it during the war and stuck with it when they were busting their butts to start families and careers after coming home. America society was very "on the go" in those days. But I can't image when I'll bother breaking it out again. Maybe for camping or something.

I found this at a local supermarket and took a flyer on it. I knew it wouldn't lather, but got it anyway out of curiosity. I've always liked the smell of canned Barbasol, even if I don't care for the performance. I shaved with it this morning. I give it a solid "meh". Its like the used Honda Civic of shaving creams. It'll get you where you want to go - in this case a shaven face - but its not much fun on the way. The smell was okay, but very fleeting. Very mild compared to the can. I guess it was "Barbasolly", but not particularly distinct or memorable. I rubbed it on with my fingers since I didn't want to risk getting a brush gunked up, and of course it doesn't lather anyway. But then my fingers were slippery, even after rinsing them, until I wiped them with a towel, so that's wasn't cool. I missed the satisfaction of whipping up the lather to just the right consistency and the visual effect of scraping it off as I shave. But otherwise the shave was fine. Uneventful. Close enough and no weepers or nicks. And that's pretty much it. So if that's the kind of shaving you like, then I guess its fine.

So this is the original stuff that the Army bought in crap loads back in WW2 so it wouldn't have to issue brushes to the troops? I could kind of see using this to shave out of a canteen cup. It would probably work okay with very minimal water. I can appreciate the historical aspect of it and how Barbasol appealed to men who got issued it during the war and stuck with it when they were busting their butts to start families and careers after coming home. America society was very "on the go" in those days. But I can't image when I'll bother breaking it out again. Maybe for camping or something.
It is slick going on, but loses slickness soon after, kiss my face is miles ahead of it. I bought and used it for the nostalgia of it and old times sake

I agree with the 2 posts above. Very meh. I had to house sit for a friend a couple months ago and tho' I had a fully packed Dopp kit I noticed a tube of 1919 on the counter and so I helped myself to a bit for one shave. Their are much better options available including KMF which is a better performer in every way.

@tankerjohn description of 1919 as being the used Honda Accord version of shaving creams is spot on.

Tried Barbasol 1919 this morning. I used a pea sized squeeze, on a wet face and added a bit more water after that. It was just about invisible, which was a different sensation while shaving. Second pass I tried a bit more, adding water to massage/swirl it up.
The shave itself was no more slick than a good soap or cream, and I ended up having to disassemble my Game Changer 84 to clean it and the Kai blade from all the gunk.
The extra steps of having to wash and dry my hands for each pass was not to my liking. Shave took longer than it usually does. I honestly don't see the advantage to using this brushless cream, YMMV of course.

Tried Barbasol 1919 this morning. I used a pea sized squeeze, on a wet face and added a bit more water after that. It was just about invisible, which was a different sensation while shaving. Second pass I tried a bit more, adding water to massage/swirl it up.
The shave itself was no more slick than a good soap or cream, and I ended up having to disassemble my Game Changer 84 to clean it and the Kai blade from all the gunk.
The extra steps of having to wash and dry my hands for each pass was not to my liking. Shave took longer than it usually does. I honestly don't see the advantage to using this brushless cream, YMMV of course.
Works great with a straight razor

I use it as a pre shave and between passes. It is thicker than Cremo and not as easy to spread, and I think it has a bit more slickness than Cremo. If you use it between passes, you will be amazed. Cremo is easier to use and I prefer the scent of original
Cremo to the Barbasol. But for slickness the Babasol is amazing. Remember to make sure it is wet. Most people have not been using enough water with the Barbasol.

After each pass with a DE safety razor, I have noticed residual slickness on my skin. About 50% of the slickness before the pass. After reading your question, I shaved with a cartridge razor to see if it was any different, and it was the same. For me, there is some residual slickness after each pass. I still add a new application between passes to get the most slickness and skin protection benefit. Everyone has a different shaving technique, so I hope someone else has additional feedback.

After each pass with a DE safety razor, I have noticed residual slickness on my skin. About 50% of the slickness before the pass. After reading your question, I shaved with a cartridge razor to see if it was any different, and it was the same. For me, there is some residual slickness after each pass. I still add a new application between passes to get the most slickness and skin protection benefit. Everyone has a different shaving technique, so I hope someone else has additional feedback.
Thank you sir

Top Bottom