What's new

Pereira fake on Ali Express

They don´t innovate, they only copy.
And the shipping costs are artificially low to ease dumping.
This is unfair trade. I´m not buying it.

PS: I´m enjoying my Perreira bowl a lot (I mean the real one) 🙂
Well I did buy a Yaqi Katana and cola in the sale recently so I should be able to dump a photo of a real pereira on the Yaqi fb page (photo must include a Yaqi product) just to give them the question is it now available in brown?
Will be interesting....

If i may, blatant imitation? Yes. Counterfeit? No. According to EU laws, in order to be something counterfeit, it must have the logo of the original. Then it cannot even be sold legally and if found in EU soil, confiscated. They don't sell it as "Pereira". They sell it as "Yaqi". So it is legal, simply blatant imitation.

And frankly, globalization was a policy promoted by USA. And it was shortsighted, to my humble opinion... It was good as long as the Chinese were just low cost working hands. So your cheaper products could penetrate global markets better. If your products had american working hands, they would cost much more. Now that they can produce on their own and well, copy you, it becomes unfair trade... All you have to do, is bring back import taxes. But now you can't because the Chinese would retaliate, wouldn't they... The mistake of your administration that pretty much imposed globalization, was that you chose China as your base of low cost manufacturing. Sure, it was more cosy to bring it all in a vast country, rather in smaller asiatic countries, but the vast country has also much bigger potential. So you created a competitor. Congratulate your administrations that thought it would be a good idea...

Well I had a Thai ex gf and then you get
A copy of the original
A copy of a copy
A crapy copy of a copy

the last one is the issue it is at least related to the original and you get stuff like that company makes crap...

the first sold cheap might end that the shop selling the original is called ludicrous extortionater

Well I had a Thai ex gf and then you get
A copy of the original
A copy of a copy
A crapy copy of a copy

the last one is the issue it is at least related to the original and you get stuff like that company makes crap...

the first sold cheap might end that the shop selling the original is called ludicrous extortionater

I understand perfectly, sir. Mind you, here in Europe, the chinese have wiped out entire light industry sectors and killed several small businesses. Because EU didn't really ever have the power to impose autonomous policy, so we rode after the fall of comunism the policy that USA wanted. Ever since the end of WWII, Europe is basically just following USA. The Chinese were literally flooding the EU market with anything you can imagine. Some very hazardous things too, which is why the EU had to invent the "CE" certification to allow imports, eventually. We are talking about tons of real counterfeit things, not just imitation. With counterfeit original european brand logo on them. The Chinese unloading containers in ports by the hundreds, nobody could keep up with them. There are even chinese products that counterfeit also the "CE" certification and try to export anyway...

It would have been much more controllable to have distributed the western manufacturing chain to many smaller asian countries, than concentrate almost everything to China. It is much easier to control what Thailand sends to your port, than what China does. It is a simple matter of sheer volume and 1 big country obtains too much negotiating power than many smaller ones, where you can deal with each one of them individually much easier.

Now it's too late for everyone... And the goverments, mind mainly about the big companies. The family and small companies are the ones who mostly paid the price. The smart ones, realized that they can't compete in price, so they went for quality instead. The others, were wiped out. The big ones, moved their own production to China themselves, so no problem for them...

I understand perfectly, sir. Mind you, here in Europe, the Chinese have wiped out entire light industry sectors and killed several small businesses.
I thought you were in Africa. So, hawks are migrating to Europe now?
:laugh:
The big ones, moved their own production to China themselves, so no problem for them...
Not as easy as it might seem. The Chinese have many rules requiring foreign companies to "partner" with domestic companies, hire local people for higher level positions and "share" intellectual property, research and development. Basically, teach them everything you know, and let them have majority control over the business in China.

I thought you were in Africa. So, hawks are migrating to Europe now?
:laugh:

Not as easy as it might seem. The Chinese have many rules requiring foreign companies to "partner" with domestic companies, hire local people for higher level positions and "share" intellectual property, research and development. Basically, teach them everything you know, and let them have majority control over the business in China.

I am African, but yes, but some hawks do migrate. Some did so many years ago. Especially Burundian ones... Burundi has very troublesome history... But i do not wish to enter in further details of the matter, as i avoid certain delicate matters and personal identifiable information on the internet.

Well, if so for the big companies, what else can i say, than "congratulations!" to the Chinese! That they are shrewd merchants, this i already knew. That they are also smart in their interior laws towards the foreign companies, i learn now, but i am not surprised... It was better if the West had left the giant sleeping and eating rice... But, what a big market, right? An emerging chinese middle class only waiting for foreign companies to sell them their wares. Much easier if we had the factories already inside their soil! Easy money! Right? Well, the Chinese aren't around for thousand of years by sheer luck, apparently!

I understand perfectly, sir. Mind you, here in Europe, the chinese have wiped out entire light industry sectors and killed several small businesses. Because EU didn't really ever have the power to impose autonomous policy, so we rode after the fall of comunism the policy that USA wanted. Ever since the end of WWII, Europe is basically just following USA. The Chinese were literally flooding the EU market with anything you can imagine. Some very hazardous things too, which is why the EU had to invent the "CE" certification to allow imports, eventually. We are talking about tons of real counterfeit things, not just imitation. With counterfeit original european brand logo on them. The Chinese unloading containers in ports by the hundreds, nobody could keep up with them. There are even chinese products that counterfeit also the "CE" certification and try to export anyway...

It would have been much more controllable to have distributed the western manufacturing chain to many smaller asian countries, than concentrate almost everything to China. It is much easier to control what Thailand sends to your port, than what China does. It is a simple matter of sheer volume and 1 big country obtains too much negotiating power than many smaller ones, where you can deal with each one of them individually much easier.

Now it's too late for everyone... And the goverments, mind mainly about the big companies. The family and small companies are the ones who mostly paid the price. The smart ones, realized that they can't compete in price, so they went for quality instead. The others, were wiped out. The big ones, moved their own production to China themselves, so no problem for them...
Me coming back from thailand on schiphol Amsterdam the Netherlands
Customs rookie: do you have illegal cd/dvd?
Me why would I do that as Dutch I can download them for free.
Customs: do you have a fake Rolex or breitling.
Me I am allowed to take two with me but when I did last time they broke down after a week so no more.
Customs: did you buy fake clothes?
Me why would I do that the originals are cheap enough and bought in a warehouse not on the market tickets and totals are under the max amount and in that envelope
Customs: that camera is new did you buy it in Thailand?
Me: Nope small electronics are just as expensive over there if you want electronics go to Hongkong. And by the way if you bothered to look there is a CE sticker on the bottom so it was imported already
Customs: maybe you got it on schiphol before you went to Thailand.
Me: if I was truely bonkers I would buy electronics on schiphol which are more expensive in the shop even without vat. And you have got my ticket so if you want to you can check it because that is registered. And if you wait until I have my SIM card switched I can show you the receipt of the shop....
Other Customs officer slowly starting **** in his pants laughing: let him go he knows more about what to take and what not as you do and that red color does not suit you well.
a smile and a handshake later gone...

now at that moment I had a 1.5kg bag of different plant roots without leaf and a 10p customs leaflet regarding legally importing that in my backpack fully expecting crap about that nope, never checked but heyyyyyy those were original orchids.....

There are other knock-offs that come out of that same country - shameless. Captain's Choice is on the left.

View attachment 1238264
This imitation bowl is available on Amazon now. Not sold by Yaqi. I thought the Pereira imatation was a imitating of the Fine bowl since it was ceramic.

Lots of complaints about China products here. Yaqi makes good brushes. Many of the synthetic and badger knots you buy, or have in your brushes (artisan or not) , made the last 4 years, were made by Yaqi and Oumo.

Lots of complaints about China products here...
No, people are primarily criticizing certain trading practices and lack of respect for intellectual property, copyrights, etc. I think people appreciate original, creative products of good quality wherever they are made.

This imitation bowl is available on Amazon now. Not sold by Yaqi. I thought the Pereira imatation was a imitating of the Fine bowl since it was ceramic.

Lots of complaints about China products here. Yaqi makes good brushes. Many of the synthetic and badger knots you buy, or have in your brushes (artisan or not) , made the last 4 years, were made by Yaqi and Oumo.

I am too a big Yaqi fan... Aside my love for Yaqi, the Chinese do imitate a lot and also counterfeit a lot. These are 2 different things. Legally, you can't do anything if someone sells something that seems the exact copy of your product, unless he counterfeits your logo OR you have a patent on the product and you can sue him for patent infringement... If Pereira has a patent for the shaving bowl, he could drag anyone to Court, ban their product and ask for monetary compensation. The problem though, is i doubt that someone has patent for a shaving bowl... So technically, all is "fair game". And the funny is, these rules, weren't invented by the Chinese...

Think of how many soaps out there, try to have scents that are clones of Creed Aventus... What can Creed do? Nothing... Unless they can prove that someone stole their formula.

The answer before the 2000s, was "import taxes". But someone wanted to globalize the trade... And here you are.

I refuse to even access AliExpress any more. Too much junk and very little control over the sellers, Had several orders cancelled after 1 month. As far as I could tell, they just wanted to hold the money for a month.

Pereira has 4 different bowls, the one Yaqi copied is the plastic one with handle and sold on Ali express.
None of them resemble a fine which is wide low and different interior ridging and also a nice bowl

now regarding taxes.....
It looks like europe will get some hefty import taxes on Chinese goods. In juliWhich will make buying stuff expensive (think of standard 10-15 handling fees)
Which will make a lot of small items uninteresting

now I do hope this will not additional apply to us goods since these are already expensive due to shipping costs and this might create the limit.
OTOH since brexit we do see more stirling paa ae sold on the mainland just expensive

Last edited:
I refuse to even access AliExpress any more. Too much junk and very little control over the sellers, Had several orders cancelled after 1 month. As far as I could tell, they just wanted to hold the money for a month.

If i may, when you order from the other part of the world and from a chaotic electronic platform, things can go bad. The 1 month i think is the standard time to give time to the parcel to arrive before you open a ticket for refund. As far as i know, no matter what the vendor does, Aliexpress at the end always refunds the client. As for the vendors, it is prudent to always see the rating of the vendor before ordering. I have had dealings with 3 vendors in Aliexpress. Not a problem with any of them.

Actually, the most obscure of the 3, whose shop name was something like "shop1243245" and had the lowest rating, when i contacted him to ask if they had a way to send me the parcel with tracking number, because the standard option didn't have tracking number, he told me to make the order and he will make sure that my parcel will arrive through another EU country and this will allow to have tracking number. I had my doubts, but it all worked flawlessly! My biggest "bad adventure" was actually my 1st order with Yaqi! The parcel, was "forever stuck" in the customs. 2 synthetics. The time frame that i was supposed to receive the parcel was over and the parcel was still at the "customs" (about 30 days in there! + another 20 days to arrive to the customs in the first place. Total about 50 days with no "signs of life" from the parcel). I contacted Yaqi to ask for refund, instead they offered to immediately send me another parcel with the same 2 synthetics. At the end, i got both parcels (the 1st one got unstuck) and Yaqi refused my offer to pay them again for the 2nd parcel. So i now have 4 synthetics at the price of 2.

Which is why the EU from July is imposing VAT and abolishes the free ceiling for custom taxes of €22 for non EU purchases. Which tantamounts to applying an average of 20% import tax (VAT average in EU) + customs tax + customs processing fees. In this way, it costs me the same buy a brush from a local vendor rather than order from China.

I have ordered many things via Ali, eBay, Amazon, Etsy and of course direct abroad and local.
In general all can go wrong and imho Amazon combined with PayPal will give you the best buyers protection.

There definitely is rubbish on Ali and we always say you should expect that.
In general though that brush and razor you see from brand x might be sold locally under brand y. And for a heavy uptick in price. It needed to be imported and brand demands premium.
In general I do not like rebrands. So if the first was brand a it should stay like that.
But there is also a big gray area where things go sour
Brand a asks brand b to produce their design and after some time they either sell it as b or worse c and d.
Less problem they redesign it and sell it under own name

and since the Chinese gov seems to subsidize transport costs they compete unfairly.

now anyone who has shipped abroad has seen some crazy differences

If I ship 4pounds to the USA from holland it is approx 25-30 usd.
The other way around 60 usd!

china is bonkers
To China the same as Usa
From China Ali is 0-5 usd....

this Is sometimes the same from Japan and Thailand.

since the usd or better cdn currently give lower prices per item the high transport costs and import costs asks for some calculation up front but it is doable.

There is a 22 euro free limit for vat and import charge

now the latter will change. And it looks like importing 10 cents will cost you 15-20 euro import handling and 20% vat.

Ali now makes local warehouses to bypass that

not sure if it will hurt eirope hina or USA more.

And it would appear that some of the AliExpress sellers have migrated to Amazon, where the prices may be a little higher, but the guarantee is a lot better. I would rather stick with Amazon for reliability.

That much is certain! Amazon is much easier to deal with and much faster in refunds too.

I have ordered many things via Ali, eBay, Amazon, Etsy and of course direct abroad and local.
In general all can go wrong and imho Amazon combined with PayPal will give you the best buyers protection.

There definitely is rubbish on Ali and we always say you should expect that.
In general though that brush and razor you see from brand x might be sold locally under brand y. And for a heavy uptick in price. It needed to be imported and brand demands premium.
In general I do not like rebrands. So if the first was brand a it should stay like that.
But there is also a big gray area where things go sour
Brand a asks brand b to produce their design and after some time they either sell it as b or worse c and d.
Less problem they redesign it and sell it under own name

and since the Chinese gov seems to subsidize transport costs they compete unfairly.

now anyone who has shipped abroad has seen some crazy differences

If I ship 4pounds to the USA from holland it is approx 25-30 usd.
The other way around 60 usd!

china is bonkers
To China the same as Usa
From China Ali is 0-5 usd....

this Is sometimes the same from Japan and Thailand.

since the usd or better cdn currently give lower prices per item the high transport costs and import costs asks for some calculation up front but it is doable.

There is a 22 euro free limit for vat and import charge

now the latter will change. And it looks like importing 10 cents will cost you 15-20 euro import handling and 20% vat.

Ali now makes local warehouses to bypass that

not sure if it will hurt eirope hina or USA more.

Ah! I didn't know the chinese goverment subsidizes the postal costs nor that Aliexpress prepares local warehouses to bypass the new EU regulation. The last part becomes very interesting. The proof will be in the pudding. I mean, in the price.

You can already choose which warehouse and sometimes you have the same or higher costs rarely lower.

i expect jokes like they do with hotels in Asia too.
Travel company buys hotels abroad and runs them under cost price hence the country get zilch revenue taxes and even pays subsidies. They seem to do that in Vietnam etc.

You can already choose which warehouse and sometimes you have the same or higher costs rarely lower.

i expect jokes like they do with hotels in Asia too.
Travel company buys hotels abroad and runs them under cost price hence the country get zilch revenue taxes and even pays subsidies. They seem to do that in Vietnam etc.

I wouldn't mind a Yaqi european warehouse at all!

They dropped the price on the pereira copy to 15 euro including shipping (I bought the real deal for 37 including shipping)

Top Bottom