What's new

A Deep Dive Through Vintage Gillettes

Hi all. Long time lurker, this is my very first post on B&B.

I started wet shaving ~5 years ago after purchasing a Muhle R89 razor, which I've been fairly content with for the most part up to now. I have long been fascinated by the old vintage Gillettes though that members here frequently discuss (and post drool-worthy pictures of). I held off buying one for the longest time -- told myself early on that I'd be better off learning the ropes with a single razor first before branching out. Last month I decided it was finally time to bite the bullet with a vintage razor, and well boy did I fall down that particular rabbit hole...

Razors (as of 4-2021).jpg

From L to R: black-handled '73 SS, Milord (essentially a late-40s SS as I understand it), NEW LC, '56 Tech, NEW SC, '70 long-handle SA, '67 Slim.

I also have a few more on the way that will hopefully complete the line-up for now: a British flare-tip Rocket, a pre-war Tech, and an Old-type (likely a 1918 model I think, based on serial #).

Maybe an understatement to say that I picked up a few. Chalk it up in part to pandemic boredom.

Anyway, the point of this post was only partly to show off my new digs in a venue where I'm confident they'll be appreciated (my girlfriend is mostly just puzzled and shaking her head at the moment)...

My grand plan (hatched in isolation over the pandemic) is to take this year to get acquainted with these razors. I want to develop a deeper appreciation for how 20th century Gillette razors have evolved over the years -- similarities, differences, quirks, what makes each one unique or special, situations where one may shine in particular, etc. In short, I want to really learn about these razors first-hand.

Acknowledging that this is all somewhat particular to my own beard and skin, I'd also like to tap the wealth of accumulated wisdom that is this forum to help guide me through the process. For those of you who've been down this road, I'd be very interested to hear about your own observations, conclusions, insights, recommendations. Tell me about unexpected surprises or frustrations. Were there adjustments to your technique or shaving routine that helped to optimize the performance of vintage razors compared to modern ones (like the R89)? Can you think of any specific pairings of razors that might make for an interesting side-by-side comparison?

I tried my best to reasonably capture the breadth of Gillette's offerings in terms of variety and eras or production (including the 3 that are still on their way), but if you can think of any glaring omissions please point them out!

Final thought: I've often felt that razor-related discussions benefit from a recognition that different beard types likely shape our respective experiences with a razor (which may somewhat account for the YMMV phenomenon). If this is in any way helpful: I'd describe my own beard as medium-full, hair on the slightly coarse side of average, and very curly (prone to in-grown hairs and razor bumps before I switched to DE shaving). My typical routine is to shave every ~2-4 days, depending on how busy the week gets.

Your collection looks great! In the first four months that I have taken this up, I have acquired a Tech, Superspeed, and a Slim. I am astounded to find that the humble Tech may just be my favorite razor.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

Your collection looks great! In the first four months that I have taken this up, I have acquired a Tech, Superspeed, and a Slim. I am astounded to find that the humble Tech may just be my favorite razor.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

I have mostly shaved with the Milord so far (a.k.a. a Superspeed), and it's been a revelation. Honestly if I had stopped at this one alone, I'd be very happy.

There was a learning curve. It bit me a few times on the first shave, but after making a few adjustments everything just started to feel very right. I found that I needed to grip the razor at a different place on the handle than I was used to -- I tend to "choke up" on the R89 to maintain light even pressure, but discovered that doing the opposite (holding it lower down) on the Superspeed gave me much better results. Concentrating on maintaining the right angle also seems to carry extra importance -- there is a somewhat narrow angle where the razor becomes particularly smooth and efficient, almost magically so.

I'm planning to take each razor one at a time (at least to start) to really get a fair sense of what it can do. Still trying to decide if I should take on the Tech or one of the NEWs next.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Well, you hit your first post out of the ballpark. Great to have you! You’ve acquired some wonderful shavers. I highly recommend spending a couple of weeks with each razor, getting to know it’s sweet spot, etc. Keep as few variables as possible (blades, soap, etc.).

Then, start digging deeper into the rabbit hole - British Aristocrats, RFB’s, Sheraton, Single Ring, Goodwills - so many shavers, so few faces to shave. But just enjoy your journey (and ignore the head-shaking of the non-believers).

Welcome to the wonderful world of vintage shaving! I second recommendation from @Hannah's Dad

I do love my 3 modern razors, but there is something magical about vintage Gillettes. I found this true when I started down the rabbit hole and even more so as time went on. As my experience has grown, they have grown with me. I learned how to get more out of them and appreciate the mastery of design, function, and elegance. It always astounds me how something so old can work so well...for me, at times even better than the moderns razors!

Well, you hit your first post out of the ballpark. Great to have you! You’ve acquired some wonderful shavers. I highly recommend spending a couple of weeks with each razor, getting to know it’s sweet spot, etc. Keep as few variables as possible (blades, soap, etc.).

Then, start digging deeper into the rabbit hole - British Aristocrats, RFB’s, Sheraton, Single Ring, Goodwills - so many shavers, so few faces to shave. But just enjoy your journey (and ignore the head-shaking of the non-believers).

Thanks! I think I'm going to take your advice on this. I'll probably just stick to a single blade (Nacet) and a handful of soaps I find most reliable (I've been rotating between 3 lately).

Hi all. Long time lurker, this is my very first post on B&B.

I have absolutely no experience with vintage Gillette razors, as my entire collection is "present day stuff"
(Rockwell, Timeless, Maggard's, and RazoRock) modern DE razors. But ..... I applaud your enthusiasm
and your journey to the edge of what may become a very deep rabbit hole. Congratulations on a very
fine collection of razors ! Welcome to Badger & Blade, perhaps the best collection of fine gentlemen in the
entire internet world. Have fun exploring our wonderful community and our terrific forums !

That is a very nice collection! May I suggest that you consider adding a single ring next? That would round it out!

Hmm, I guess I overlooked the single-ring in the past. They're definitely interesting, didn't realize these are sometimes considered Gillette's first adjustable razor. In your experience, how well does that adjustable feature work?

I would keep the NEW LC, save the handle from the NEW SC to put on the LC (or if you want to keep the razors original, find the ball end handle that originally came with the early 30's long comb, I think the one on it now came from a later model Tech). Then after throwing the rest out I would get the Old Type. The Old and LC New Types are all you need.

But as I doubt you'll really be dumb enough to throw all the others out you might as well give each one a good try for as long as you want and come to your own conclusions. Who knows, you may even like the SC New or something better than the LC for some inexplicable (at least to me) reason. :)

Anyway, it looks like you got a good start on a collection of nice clean razors in great shape. :thumbup1:

I would keep the NEW LC, save the handle from the NEW SC to put on the LC (or if you want to keep the razors original, find the ball end handle that originally came with the early 30's long comb, I think the one on it now came from a later model Tech). Then after throwing the rest out I would get the Old Type. The Old and LC New Types are all you need.

But as I doubt you'll really be dumb enough to throw all the others out you might as well give each one a good try for as long as you want and come to your own conclusions. Who knows, you may even like the SC New or something better than the LC for some inexplicable (at least to me) reason. :)

Anyway, it looks like you got a good start on a collection of nice clean razors in great shape. :thumbup1:

I've noticed the NEW types seem to garner an intensely loyal following of people who swear by them. Those two (along with the British Rocket) are probably the ones that have piqued my curiosity the most. After spending a bit more time with the 40s superspeed, I think I'll probably move on to one of the NEWs. I take it you'd recommend I start with the LC > SC?

Also, not that I'm going to sweat the authenticity of handles too much at this stage of the game, but I'm certainly curious... how can you tell that the ball end on mine belonged to a later model Tech?

I've noticed the NEW types seem to garner an intensely loyal following of people who swear by them. Those two (along with the British Rocket) are probably the ones that have piqued my curiosity the most. After spending a bit more time with the 40s superspeed, I think I'll probably move on to one of the NEWs. I take it you'd recommend I start with the LC > SC?

Also, not that I'm going to sweat the authenticity of handles too much at this stage of the game, but I'm certainly curious... how can you tell that the ball end on mine belonged to a later model Tech?
For some reason I prefer the LC, however the SC seems to have hardly any blade feel, it almost seems as if it would be very difficult to cut yourself with it (though I haven't tried), yet still gives an adequate shave, so I'd probably actually try it first. Besides, many others do prefer the SC as JWCowboy testifies to above.

The handle on your LC looks like it's aluminum (I think that's what later model Tech handles were made of, someone can correct me) made out of one piece rather than the brass handles earlier razors where made of. The original ball handles were made of three pieces, the brass tube with the ball inserted in one end and the threaded top in the other. Most of the original brass handles have developed stress cracks that start where the end pieces are inserted. Many cracks are minor and most I think can be repaired. But I think it's because of the cracks that many of the old handles have been replaced with Tech and other handles. If you look closely at pictures from sites like this: mr-razor Gillette Rasierer - http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Gillette%20Rasierer.htm , or even auction sites I think you can see the difference. Look especially at the ball-end, which looks to me to be bigger on the original handles, and also the knurling on the handle has gaps on each end on the brass handles where patent info is stamped.

Last edited:
Awesome collection, really great looking razors. It looks like you're being really conscientious about choosing a nice variety and holding out for really good examples of each. Enjoy the collection. I used a New SC for the whole month of March and it was great to let it teach me. Before that, it was a 1918 Old Type. I line up my collection in my drawer the same way you have it, alternating their orientation so I can fit more in each row :laugh:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Subscribed! Wow, I love your collection! You’ll have a lot of fun moving through each razor. Missing? Let’s see, I am a shameless fanboy of the Red Tip Superspeed, so that would be my recommendation, especially for your beard type.

Your intuition to go slow and minimize variables is 100% correct. Actually, totally opposite of what I did. Yeah, I would change everything, everyday. Then I would have an issue - rough shave, ingrown, whatever - and wonder “oh, was is the razor or the soap or the blade?”:a52:

What I do now is use one razor for the whole week. I have pared my rotation down to just the razors I know work the best for me. From left to right: Red Tip, Ranger Tech, New Improved, another Ranger Tech (yeah, I really like those:001_cool:), and Merkur open comb on 47C handle.
0F5CD7B9-8CEE-4F23-B505-1770D0A34DFD.jpeg

I shave everyday, one pass (maybe two for special occasions).

Happy shaving! :badger:

I have pared my rotation down to just the razors I know work the best for me. From left to right: Red Tip, Ranger Tech, New Improved, another Ranger Tech (yeah, I really like those:001_cool:), and Merkur open comb on 47C handle.

Thanks! How would you describe the way your Ranger Techs shave compared to a 40's Superspeed (if you've used one of those before)?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Save the NEW Long Comb for last, lol. It's the best razor ever invented. Swap out the handle though with the one on the SC.

Beautiful razors my friend! I think all I'll ever buy from now on are ancient Gillette's.

Reactions: ewk
Hmm, I guess I overlooked the single-ring in the past. They're definitely interesting, didn't realize these are sometimes considered Gillette's first adjustable razor. In your experience, how well does that adjustable feature work?
I haven't tried that. I just tighten it down and get a great shave.

I need to spend more time with my Slim. I've gone on to more aggressive razors and on the rare occasions i use it now it seems to mild. I think it must be my technique.

Top Bottom