What's new

Lupo stainless?

That's surprising.I've got the 84sb and i find it shaves pretty much the same as the Lupo.72sb.I'd be terrified of the 84 jaws.Just goes to show everyones different.Hope you find the sweet spot with it if you do you'll love it.Have you tried an Astra in it?I find that really smooth in it.Take care.
The JAWS took many shaves to learn, and I can't truly say that I mastered it, but I can handle it better presently than the Lupo 72. I do plan to try a 68 JAWS soon and may get rid of the 84.

@JCarr I need to order some Astra SS blades. They're one of few I'm interested in that I haven't tried yet.

If it's not working out, it's not working, right? Go with what gives you a great shave.

Or maybe blade related? I'm almost 60 yr old and with age my facial skin is way more sensitive than when I was younger. With the 95, one of the smoothest and irritation free shaves I've had so far has been the Wizamet Iridium Super. Also had great luck with Perma-sharp and 7 o'clock yellows. Like say, that's with the 95, might not apply with the 72. Just tossing some things out as they come to mind... I'd like to see you get the 72 dialed in considering you got up to speed with the Jaws. Good luck.

cheers
So far I've tried a Feather (5), SharpEdge (3) and GSB (Fresh). I'd very much like to figure it out, as the maneuverability is great.

It is what it is. You gave it a chance and that's all one can really do. I'd tell you to keep at it and work with technique and angles but, you know your mug better than I or anyone else here.

Good luck & happy shaves....
Thanks, @GlazedBoker . Were I to commit to it and only it for a few weeks, I'm sure I'd figure it out. In this hobby I've found some razors that clicked from the get-go, and others came along quickly enough, but this one eludes me. I never feel the nick or cut, I just notice the weepers. It's a deceptive one that 72. You think everything's going smoothly and then the alum sting makes you run for the Snake Bite/Cryogen/Artique (I call those three Fire Extinguishers, and only reach for them in a post-shaving emergency).

@Galaktus and I are going to try a baseplate swap. Perhaps @Sweeney_ is on to something. I'll update thereafter, and I imagine Galaktus will as well.

~Kai

Yeeaaaaaahhh..... Fantastic shave. The KAI & Lupo .95 just brought it today On their first shave pairing. Couldn’t get my shave in sooner as work & schedule played a role in pushing things back. But, man this was a stellar shave. Blade feel was ramped up ever so slightly yet, it still maintained a cool smoothness & efficiency that was right on. A 2 pass shave with 2 1/2 days of beard growth and a slight touch up on the corners. Finito. A very impressive shave outing that shaved about as good as my Timeless .95 SB but, just a hair under in smoothness and comfort. No nics, cuts, weepers or irritation to speak of. Not bad at all for a sub-$100 razor. We’ll see how it goes on consecutive shave days with this combo....

Happy shaves...... :shaving:

92B41F92-1161-48FC-A22B-91DAC7213214.jpeg

CF54ABD1-A272-47E0-989D-8525730BC50C.jpeg

Four days growth mowed down this morning. I actually intended to use my Blackbird, and put a brand new Ladas blade in; before the first pass (WTG) was completed, I put it away for my Lupo DC with a 3rd use Voskhod, using the 95 side. The Blackbird was tugging very uncomfortably and the Lupo finished the shave completely comfortably. I'm going to swap the Ladas into the Lupo tomorrow morning to see if it was a dud blade.

Last edited:
Yeeaaaaaahhh..... Fantastic shave. The KAI & Lupo .95 just brought it today On their first shave pairing. Couldn’t get my shave in sooner as work & schedule played a role in pushing things back. But, man this was a stellar shave. Blade feel was ramped up ever so slightly yet, it still maintained a cool smoothness & efficiency that was right on. A 2 pass shave with 2 1/2 days of beard growth and a slight touch up on the corners. Finito. A very impressive shave outing that shaved about as good as my Timeless .95 SB but, just a hair under in smoothness and comfort. No nics, cuts, weepers or irritation to speak of. Not bad at all for a sub-$100 razor. We’ll see how it goes on consecutive shave days with this combo....

Happy shaves...... :shaving:

View attachment 1248599

View attachment 1248598

Quick update on yesterday's shave results with the KAi & Lupo .95 combo. I had shaved roughly between 5:30-6pm yesterday evening and got up this morning at 4:30am to a still smooth face feel with no stubble growth. It's roughly now 10:40am EST and I've just felt the first of stubble growth along each side of my face in the sideburns area. Give or take an hour, that's approximately 14-15 hours of smooth face feeling results. Darn good in my book.

Happy shaves......

Picked up the .95 baseplate and have had a couple shaves with that now. I'm going to have to do a little A-B testing to see which I like. Perhaps I should have bought a second top cap as well. So far, Razorock has been knocking this affordable stainless razor thing out of the park. I'm really enjoying the BBS and GC quite a bit as well.

I must say that particular Ladas wasn't impressive, although it fared much better in the tight clamping of the Lupo than it did in my Blackbird OC. I have a sampler pack inbound that IIRC contains some Feathers and Kais, so looking forward to more learning.

Good luck on that blade testing journey. A heads up on the KAI blade. Be aware that it does ramp up the blade feel. I mentioned in my post of the shave that it was slight. Well, I straight shave on occasion and have shaved with some pretty blade forward feeling razors (PAA EVO, Ikon Tech etc,) I say slight because I'm used to those type of aggressive razors. I should have been a bit more cognizant and taken into account that not everyone is used too or familiar with that type or plain outright don't want that type of a shave experience.

Though I don't find the Lupo .95 to be an aggressive razor with the KAI installed it does put the razor in the vicinity of the Muhle R41 post '13.

The JAWS took many shaves to learn, and I can't truly say that I mastered it, but I can handle it better presently than the Lupo 72. I do plan to try a 68 JAWS soon and may get rid of the 84.

@JCarr I need to order some Astra SS blades. They're one of few I'm interested in that I haven't tried yet.

So far I've tried a Feather (5), SharpEdge (3) and GSB (Fresh). I'd very much like to figure it out, as the maneuverability is great.

Thanks, @GlazedBoker . Were I to commit to it and only it for a few weeks, I'm sure I'd figure it out. In this hobby I've found some razors that clicked from the get-go, and others came along quickly enough, but this one eludes me. I never feel the nick or cut, I just notice the weepers. It's a deceptive one that 72. You think everything's going smoothly and then the alum sting makes you run for the Snake Bite/Cryogen/Artique (I call those three Fire Extinguishers, and only reach for them in a post-shaving emergency).

@Galaktus and I are going to try a baseplate swap. Perhaps @Sweeney_ is on to something. I'll update thereafter, and I imagine Galaktus will as well.

~Kai
The .68 Jaws is excellent. A great daily blade IMO.

I like the .84 SB but the .84 Jaws still scares me after a few shaves. It is super aggressive. No way I can use it more than weekly and that is with a few days growth. I wouldn’t buy it if I did it again.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Astra SS was a success. Going to try a Kai SS tomorrow. Have had great results with the Kai in other razors in the past. Hoping in the Lupo, it'll be even better.

Picked up the .95 baseplate and have had a couple shaves with that now. I'm going to have to do a little A-B testing to see which I like. Perhaps I should have bought a second top cap as well. So far, Razorock has been knocking this affordable stainless razor thing out of the park. I'm really enjoying the BBS and GC quite a bit as well.

Would love to hear your perspective on how this lines up with the BBS. Very different experiences I imagine but curious about the results from each as you log more time in with the .95.

So far, my less expensive Lupo SS DC OC72/SB95 can absolutely hang with my Timeless .95 OC and Karve D-Plate. It's really a remarkable razor for the price.

Would love to hear your perspective on how this lines up with the BBS. Very different experiences I imagine but curious about the results from each as you log more time in with the .95.

What's really going to throw a monkey wrench in this is that RR/IB is working on the BBS open comb plate. I also enjoy the BBS razor as it's a real good daily shaver for those that enjoy a milder yet efficient feeling shave. No guarantees yet but, it could be a possibility very soon.....

Shaves 2 & 3 (yesterday evening and this morning) and nothing to report differently. Growth yesterday was minimal, stubble all around a bit as the first shave was very close. So, light shave was the name and a single ATG pass put me back to that BBS finish from Thursday. Ditto for this morning, an ATG pass and a slight touch up around the Adams Apple and good as new.

As I’ve stated before, blade feel is more pronounced and shave prowess is amplified by the width of the blade and the shave geometry of the razor itself. Shave vets that like and prefer blade feel during their shave will certainly welcome the extra effectiveness that the KAI & Lupo .95 bring to the table. Inexperienced shavers or those that prefer a milder shave with very little blade feel, this post is not for you, period. But, for those that feel adventurous I will say tread lightly and be cautious if one is going to go for this particular set up. No, it’s not intimidating or fierce as more aggressive acting razors but, it does require one to be mindful that a slight slip up will draw the precious red liquid. One does lose a bit of smoothness in the trade-off for increased efficiency while gaining in feel and closeness of the end result. Which is an extremely long lasting BBS finish.

Happy shaves, Gents..... :shaving:

Yesterday
B4F167A7-2B8E-49EC-B0FC-C0E51E4A6073.jpeg

Today
0B058ACC-DE5C-4F3F-9FCA-A26E453ED40F.jpeg

Good Morning GlazedBoker .....
My compliments to you Sir ! I have been thoroughly enjoying all your posts and thoughtful comments on this
ongoing thread, and as you, I am really enjoying all my shaves with my Lupo .72 (with a Gillette Nacet.)
Best regards to you and your loved ones for good health and happiness in these troubled times !

Good Morning GlazedBoker .....
My compliments to you Sir ! I have been thoroughly enjoying all your posts and thoughtful comments on this
ongoing thread, and as you, I am really enjoying all my shaves with my Lupo .72 (with a Gillette Nacet.)
Best regards to you and your loved ones for good health and happiness in these troubled times !

Right back at you, my friend..... :thumbup:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Used a Kai SS in the Lupo .72 this morning. As it does with all of my razors, the Kai brought more noise and face feel as @GlazedBoker mentioned above. Got a great DFS/BBS from it, no question. I would have no problem using the Kai SS in the Lupo .72 again, but it isn't top three for me at this point. I am still gravitating towards the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum and the Gillette Silver Blue with the Astra SS not far behind those two.

Next up...Personna Lab Blue!

Kit 20210410.jpg

Another solid shave, #4 with the KAI & Lupo .95. The blade still feels good and doesn’t show any signs of slowing down yet. A very nice 2 pass shave that left my mug smooth and with that almost rubbery feel. I‘ve been averaging anywhere’s between 13-15 hours in shave duration since I installed the KAI, right up there with the Feather to be quite honest. Though, I think the 2nd & 3rd shave with the Feather/Lupo .95 was a bit more comfy and equally efficient as the KAI/Lupo pairing. Still, awesome shaves this past week with Japan’s best blades in the wet shave business.

Happy shaves to all.... :shaving:

057E5E90-BE8C-4589-B4C4-D9F49C1FA616.jpeg

Top Bottom