What's new

Hot dogs anyone?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Hm, sports bar used to have "Death Dogs" : grilled with bacon, cheese, horseradish and jalapeños. Tasty. Might have had hit sauce too; obviously such a thing went with suds.

AA

Is it the Kroger house brand?
It is the Private Selection Kroger brand.

1617924332598.png

Has anyone tried white hots before? I lived in Rochester, New York for a little while. Before I moved there, I had no idea they even existed. Now they're one of my favorites.

White hots on the left. Red hots on the right.

White and red hots.png

The best store bought hot dogs, and I’m talking true hot dogs, not sausage is Kirkland dogs from Costco. The truly absolute best are ballpark hot dogs along about July or August. I don’t mean the brand, I’m talking about the dogs from the baseball park. They are awesome.

Right this-a way:

AA
I had one during a trip to Copenhagen. Dee-lish. This after eating at 3 Michelin star restaurants.

I had a weisswurst for dinner on Monday.

In the past, I've heard that white hots are Weisswurst, but at least the way I understand it, they are completely unrelated. Weisswurst are made mostly from veal, while a white hot is made from pork, beef, and veal. Weisswurst is a sausage while a white hot is a variation of a hot dog.

I was kind of curious as well, so I looked around a bit online. I found that Wikipedia also states they are unrelated.

White hot - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_hot

Thanks to this thread, I stopped off for anCostco dog today. Thanks to the pandemic, it didn't come with my preferred deli mustard, sauerkraut and onions. Still, the plain dog in a bun was pretty good.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Rusty:
plus-one-png.797576
...and in keeping germain to your post...Hebrew National Âľlb Jumbo Franks (they are 'da bomb'), is a Kosher option for your dogs (can't get these 'big-dogs' locally around here, but they're in our Commissary on Post [Fort Polk]). :drool:
proxy.php

The Mrs. and I like ours with sautéed onions, different 'topshelf' relishes / mustard's, slaw (maybe a little sauerkraut), and banana peppers, but nix on ketchup. :thumbsup:

However...the Mrs. 'needs' ketchup on hers. :lol1:

proxy.php
"The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog; it feeds the hand that bites it". Lawrence J. Peter

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
It was Bellevue!

I grew up in west Nashville. Bellevue Mall was built when I was in high school and it seemed like every business there was staffed with my classmates. I sold shoes at Kinney (there's another thread on here started by @johnniegold where I detailed that experience - pretty sure that's how I ended up with the tag line under my avatar courtesy of the mods)

I ate many a hot dog from Frank N Stein on my break.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I grew up in west Nashville. Bellevue Mall was built when I was in high school and it seemed like every business there was staffed with my classmates. I sold shoes at Kinney (there's another thread on here started by @johnniegold where I detailed that experience - pretty sure that's how I ended up with the tag line under my avatar courtesy of the mods)

I ate many a hot dog from Frank N Stein on my break.

Nice. I'm pretty sure I also ate at the one at Cool Springs because I would get there from time to time, and I'm a hot dog fiend (especially then). Bellevue is where we would go when we wanted it, though.

I'm pretty sure I bought my wedding band at Cool Springs. Mrs. TL lived in Franklin when we got engaged.

My wife and I used to love a good hot dog, but haven't had one in years. We never found a store bought dog we really liked. We loved the Wiener King restaurants (a Burger King, but with dogs and different toppings) in the 70s, but they all closed 40 years ago. We haven't enoyed a good dog since Texas Wieners II on Rt 22 in No. Plfd closed some years back. The original Texas Wieners in Plainfield, that I enjoyed in high school in the 60s, may still be around, but the risk to my life is not worth a hot dog. I've tried deep fried dogs in North Jersey, but still prefer mine grilled.

Nathans beef hot dog on a poppy seed bun with celery salt, raw onion, yellow mustard and sport peppers.
Even though I’m from Chicago, not a fan of their iconic “the works” hot dog.
I like the idea of sauerkraut, I might have to try that! :)

Years ago in graduate school I lived just down the street from an Aldi market. There are some things where buying the cheapest possible product actually works. They used to have a garlic Polish hotdog in big packs. I'd buy one occasionally and break it down into single servings (four sausages...I was a Big Eater(tm) then) and freeze them.

With some cheap white buns, a little mustard and some Red Dog beer (and a baseball game on the radio...the only way I like baseball), "you had you a meal."

Plank Road discontinued Red Dog, which gave me the needed push to finish my dissertation and move to Canada.

O.H.

So that reminded me of a terrible graduate school hot dog memory that I had erased from my mind. Back in the day in NYC there were these weird hot dog papaya places. There was a Gray’s Papaya and on my block there was a Mike’s Papaya ... I think their deal basically was they sold you hotdogs that got cancelled out by weird papaya based smoothie things.

So the other great thing about that place was you could get 2 hot dogs for a buck! Now the problem with being a graduate student in NYC back then was while you got say 1000 bucks a month to live on, effectively 600 of that got taken away on subsidized rent so everyone was trying to survive on basically less than a 100 a week on living.

So one day I went in there and realized all I had in my pocket was 95 c and the store clerk basically said there was nothing he could do .. thwarted from even buying 2 hotdogs :(. The issue was less that I was broke and more about just not having money on me .. but it was pretty symbolic of the dollar store / street fair for clothing lifestyle that paid for evening beer money that graduate school entailed ;)

Top Bottom