What's new

Lupo stainless?

I must be the odd man out on the Lupo 95.
I had an aluminum Lupo which I sold to a coworker after I lent it to him. It gave me wonderful shaves. I didn't mind selling it because I had a DLC Lupo. When the new generation came out, I jumped on the 95. If 72 is great, 95 must be better, right? Beautiful razor, but the shaves, they didn't impress me. My stubble seems to come back hours quicker than with other razors. I like to "ride the cap" when I shave.
I want to like that razor but sadly it doesn't perform for me as well as the aluminum or the DLC version.

Lupo ss cap : ~11 grams
Lupo 95 baseplate : ~ 16.5 grams

Rocca R94 handle : ~ 55 grams

paired the Lupo .95 with the Razorock Ti Halo handle this am.

I see the light! ... as in "lighter".
This head really shines with a lightweight handle.
Thank you for the suggestion!
Had my best shave with this razor, so far.
Was getting a bit of post-shave irritation with the Lupo for the previous handful of shaves.
The lighter handle seemed to help me keep a lighter touch during passes...

Question: My only beef with the Ti Halo is its length, at 4".
The long handle counteracts the nimbleness of this head.
I'd really like to lop-off about 1/2"+ or so...
Can I DIY this with a bench vise and a hack saw? (I don't own any sophisticated bench power tools...)
I know the resultant cut will be ragged... But I don't mind putting in the "elbow grease" to smooth things out afterward.
Just wondering if a standard hack saw blade will cut through Ti without too much difficulty?

Thanks...

A standard hacksaw paired with
a top quality triple
laminated carbon blade will not
even scratch titanium .
The blade’s teeth will dull from
the first couple of cuts .

Unfortunately a lathe is needed for the
job . Even mini one will do (with the
appropriate cutting tools ) ,but still
a lathe is needed.

PS : I’ve ordered one of these
to try also :

Last edited:
A standard hacksaw paired with
a top quality triple
laminated carbon blade will not
even scratch titanium .
The blade’s teeth will dull from
the first couple of cuts .

yeah - that's what I was afraid of.
Thanks for clarifying...

I must be the odd man out here, but I just cannot get a blood-free shave with my Lupo 72.

The maneuvering capabilities are outstanding, however. The shape of the head with the indented corners is fantastic around the nose, and the RR bamboo handle provides an excellent balance to the head. It just seems no matter how careful I am, I get a half dozen weepers and a teeth-clinching alum block post-shaving experience.

Admittedly, I have skin more sensitive than most, and only have a few shaves in with the 72, but it's getting harder to reach for it when I have better fitting razors only inches away. I'm sure with sufficient practice I could learn it (I eventually figured out the 84 JAWS). Once that agonizing alum experience is over with, the shave results are fantastic. But if I can't figure it out before my inevitable den clearing, it will be on its way to someone better suited to its merits.

~Kai

I had an aluminum Lupo which I sold to a coworker after I lent it to him. It gave me wonderful shaves. I didn't mind selling it because I had a DLC Lupo. When the new generation came out, I jumped on the 95. If 72 is great, 95 must be better, right? Beautiful razor, but the shaves, they didn't impress me. My stubble seems to come back hours quicker than with other razors. I like to "ride the cap" when I shave.
I want to like that razor but sadly it doesn't perform for me as well as the aluminum or the DLC version.
I find the DLC shaves more comfortably than the .72 as well.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wed, April 7th 2021

Razor: Razorock 2nd gen Lupo.72SB- MFG 2021, excellent mid range, very smooth razor for a mid range, carefree shave, excellent results from the Lupo & very happy with this Lupo purchase.
Blade: Polsilver SI(5) excellent blade, Sharp & smooth with good longevity.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- nice citrus scent, good lather qualities, good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm- excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with my RR 2nd gen Lupo .72 + Polsilver SI blade.
DE SOTD. Wed, April 7th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Just had my 3rd shave with the DC and this time I only shaved with the .95 side. The shave was great, but i've noticed that the Nacet felt a little dull even though it was it's third use. I think some razors tend to dull a blade much early than others, or perhaps the blade wasn't as good as it should be?

Well it had to happen and it did a few hours ago.I've ordered the .95 Lupo with a ball end halo handle.(i love the look of those handles.)I absolutely love the .72 Lupo as much as my Gamechanger .84 but the temptation to go all the way and get the 95 was too much.It may well be too aggresive for me but curiosity killed my credit card.It will be a few weeks it's got to go through France and on to the UK.As soon as i get it i'll post some pics.Take care everyone happy shaves.Whoohoo! another razor!

Well it had to happen and it did a few hours ago.I've ordered the .95 Lupo with a ball end halo handle.(i love the look of those handles.)I absolutely love the .72 Lupo as much as my Gamechanger .84 but the temptation to go all the way and get the 95 was too much.It may well be too aggresive for me but curiosity killed my credit card.It will be a few weeks it's got to go through France and on to the UK.As soon as i get it i'll post some pics.Take care everyone happy shaves.Whoohoo! another razor!

I have the dual-comb version, which has .72 open comb and .95 solid bar, but the difference between them in terms of efficiency isn't that major. It's mostly just the way the teeth of the open comb and the solid bar feel across the face. If you like the .84 sb, but you want something a bit more efficient, the .95 might do it for you.

I have the dual-comb version, which has .72 open comb and .95 solid bar, but the difference between them in terms of efficiency isn't that major. It's mostly just the way the teeth of the open comb and the solid bar feel across the face. If you like the .84 sb, but you want something a bit more efficient, the .95 might do it for you.
The Lupo.72sb and the gamechanger .84sb shave the same to me and feel pretty much the same in aggressivness.I can get BB with either with 3 passes and minimum pickups.I think i'm just reaching for the stars now lol.If it's even more efficient and not much more in aggressivness than those two i'll be amazed.I went from a 34c as my go to razor to the .68sb gamechanger about 4 months ago and that blew me away.It's just the aggressivness i'm a bit worried about i'm not sure if my ugly mug will be able to take it.I guess i'll soon find out.Take care happy shaves.(i've never used an open comb i have no idea how they feel)

I must be the odd man out here, but I just cannot get a blood-free shave with my Lupo 72.

The maneuvering capabilities are outstanding, however. The shape of the head with the indented corners is fantastic around the nose, and the RR bamboo handle provides an excellent balance to the head. It just seems no matter how careful I am, I get a half dozen weepers and a teeth-clinching alum block post-shaving experience.

Admittedly, I have skin more sensitive than most, and only have a few shaves in with the 72, but it's getting harder to reach for it when I have better fitting razors only inches away. I'm sure with sufficient practice I could learn it (I eventually figured out the 84 JAWS). Once that agonizing alum experience is over with, the shave results are fantastic. But if I can't figure it out before my inevitable den clearing, it will be on its way to someone better suited to its merits.

~Kai
That's surprising.I've got the 84sb and i find it shaves pretty much the same as the Lupo.72sb.I'd be terrified of the 84 jaws.Just goes to show everyones different.Hope you find the sweet spot with it if you do you'll love it.Have you tried an Astra in it?I find that really smooth in it.Take care.

Shave 4 with the Feather & Lupo combo and it was a fine one indeed. Unfortunately, on the ATG pass, it started to get a bit tuggy so, I knew the Feather didn‘t have much left (Feathers are great in sharpness and their ability to cut even the densest of hairs. Longevity though is among the lowest of the low. Shame really for the premium price tag). Anyways, I finessed the rest of the shave and still managed a BBS finish though, I did get some feisty growling from the Alum Bar pass on a couple of spots and the splash was a bit more livelier. I put the final results on me, no blame on the razor or blade. I just rolled the dice there and took a slight loss on end result comfort. But, the irritation gremlins were gone in less than 30 mins.

Overall, the Feather & Lupo are a dream combination that gives superb results against some big hitters in the same class (Timeless SS .95, H&S PO76Ti, GC .84 sb/oc & Jaws, Carbon Cx-Ti). Shave 1 was very good, shaves 2 & 3 were darn near perfection. Problem here is that the shaves are limited with the Feather and that’s no fault of the razor at all. If I could get a weeks worth of shaves from them, I’d be happier than a pig in poop on a warm spring morning.

Well, it’s unto the KAI blade for the next shave. Looking forward to that pairing.

Happy shaves to all.....

View attachment 1247150
You've got me drooling just ordered my .95sb.Happy shaves.

If it's not working out, it's not working, right? Go with what gives you a great shave. I've got razors that I just can't form a rapport with... the RR BBS for example. Don't care for the angle and end up with irritation. I wanna feel the love but it's just not there.

Quite a contrast to the Lupo 95 for me although I prefer neutral or a bit steeper angle on my shaves. Two pass shave, WTG, ATG, then touch-up on 2 neck areas and jawline. I can usually get 9 hrs before feeling any stubble at all under my jaw.

~Kai

I don't doubt your word in the least but it puzzles me. I shave a couple times with a straight on my 4 days off, then use the Lupo 95 three or four times on my days while working. The 95 seems like a vacation... I feel I could almost shave blindfolded and get an irritation free result. And your using the 72 even...

Reminds me of my experience with the Gamechanger 68 vs 84. I got much better shaves with the 84 perhaps because the 64 was milder resulting in me over buffing spots or using more pressure maybe. I use very light pressure with the 95 but with the blade feel, I can tell exactly how it's cutting.

Or maybe blade related? I love me some Nacets but have to go light or I end up with irritation. Seems like they get even sharper on the 2nd shave. I'm almost 60 yr old and with age my facial skin is way more sensitive than when I was younger. With the 95, one of the smoothest and irritation free shaves I've had so far has been the Wizamet Iridium Super. Also had great luck with Perma-sharp and 7 o'clock yellows. Like say, that's with the 95, might not apply with the 72. Just tossing some things out as they come to mind... I'd like to see you get the 72 dialed in considering you got up to speed with the Jaws. Good luck.

cheers

Last edited:

~Kai

It is what it is. You gave it a chance and that's all one can really do. I'd tell you to keep at it and work with technique and angles but, you know your mug better than I or anyone else here.

Good luck & happy shaves.... :shaving:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy

Quite a contrast to the Lupo 95 for me although I prefer neutral or a bit steeper angle on my shaves. Two pass shave, WTG, ATG, then touch-up on 2 neck areas and jawline. I can usually get 9 hrs before feeling any stubble at all under my jaw.

Me too! I can get a good shave with my other razors, but around 6pm-7pm...I can run my hand on my neck and feel the stubble coming back. With a good shave with the Lupo...not nearly as much. It's amazing to me how much closer the shave is when I use my Lupo SS razors.

Top Bottom