What's new

thoughts on proraso shaving stuff?

I really liked to Red and Green creams, I find they perform way above the price point.

I have only tried the Green AS, but I didn't care for the scent. BTW most folks enjoy the scent.

Soaps are ok, perfect for the price (Europe)

Love the green AS (with menthol added)

And: Proraso green shaving-foam is the best canned stuff i ever tried (done with cans though)

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Proraso is OK. Over the years I've tried several of their soaps and creams but was never that impressed. I find their regular line to be messy leaving residue all over hardware and sink.

I do however really like their green splash, I always have some on hand and it is pretty much my sole warm season AS. Also, the Single Blade line of shave cream is outstanding IMO. Very slick, better performance, and no residue.

Is that what comes with, say, Martin de Candre at roughly $70 a pop? I have to ask here because Hell will be a frozen tundra before I shell out that kind of money for a shave soap... On sheer principle.

To be fair, MdC does last a long time...they're pretty big jars, they're filled to the very brim, and it doesn't take that much per shave to lather. You get a lot of shaves for your $70.

And there are MdC copycat soaps out there (like Beehive Soap, which I haven't tried myself), so you can get your MdC fix for much less than an actual tub of MdC.

I started to lather years ago with a Proraso white soap. It lathers easily, shave is close, scent is ok for me but not perfect. Pricing is in Europe very reasonable. I then tried Haslinger sheep and left the Proraso behind. Only slightly more expensive here in Europe, lathers well, smell is decent, shave is close. I stayed with it over the last years.

Proraso Green in a tube is my favourite lather. Its reasonably priced, I love the smell and the cool tingly sensation. Plus it makes for a good pre shave and is great at either a quick face lather or in a bowl

I have used Proraso Red (sandalwood) for several years now. It's one of my favorites b/c, IMHO, it smells like the Old Spice
shaving soap I started using when I was in college ages ago! Good lather and slickness for me as well. I've never tried any
of their other scents b/c I love the Red! I use the soap at home, and the cream in my travel kit.

I have used Proraso Red (sandalwood) for several years now. It's one of my favorites b/c, IMHO, it smells like the Old Spice
shaving soap I started using when I was in college ages ago! Good lather and slickness for me as well. I've never tried any
of their other scents b/c I love the Red! I use the soap at home, and the cream in my travel kit.

Proraso Red is an almost pure sandalwood scent. It comes across as woody with a slight amount of spice.

Old Spice is a far more ccomplex scent. It is considered to be an amber spicy scent. The scent notes of the original Shulton scent according to Fragrantica are: Nutmeg, Star Anise, Aldehydes, Orange and Lemon; Cinnamon, Carnation, Pimento, Geranium, Heliotrope and Jasmine; Benzoin, Musk, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Cedar and Ambergris. There is no sandalwood in the Old Spice scent. However, your nose might be detecting a similar vibe.

Proraso Red is an almost pure sandalwood scent. It comes across as woody with a slight amount of spice.

Old Spice is a far more ccomplex scent. It is considered to be an amber spicy scent. The scent notes of the original Shulton scent according to Fragrantica are: Nutmeg, Star Anise, Aldehydes, Orange and Lemon; Cinnamon, Carnation, Pimento, Geranium, Heliotrope and Jasmine; Benzoin, Musk, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Cedar and Ambergris. There is no sandalwood in the Old Spice scent. However, your nose might be detecting a similar vibe.

Proraso Red reminds me of my grandad. I mentioned this to my brother and he said he used to use Old Spice.

I guess the counterargument would probably be "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

If everyone believed in this statement, we would still be traveling around in ox carts, heating our log cabins with wood fires, reading handwritten scrolls by the light of candles, and shaving with sharpened bronze tools. Progress is made when people realize that there is are better ways to do nearly everything. There are very few things that are not broken.

I really enjoy Proraso products. I exclusively use their green splash, and I regularly use their green and white soap. As others have said, the performance is brilliant for money. Some my best shaves were courtesy of Proraso.

what do you think of the proraso stuff? ive heard its number one seller in italy. i mean their creams, soaps, preshave, after shave etcetc is what im wondering about. is it worth the money to some of you more experienced shavers

I have only tried the red cream and the white croap. I was so underwhelmed by the red sandalwood cream several years ago that I tossed it out after a dozen shaves. The white croap however was a great performer for me from day one, and I've missed it since I 3017'd it last fall. It's a great soap that lathers reliably, has respectable residual slickness, and it's really easy on sensitive skin. I'll replace it the next time I place an order.

Having said all that, the more soaps I try, the more I've realized that they're all "good". Your lathering technique and lather preference has more to do with your opinion of a particular soaps "performance" than the soap itself. Some soaps are capable of extremely stable lather that can hold up over the course of a 45 minute shave. If you shave in 4 minutes, that's completely useless to you. Many soaps with a $30 price tag have $5 worth of moisturizers in them. If you prefer a dedicated moisturizer like Neutrogena Hydro Boost, this has no value to you.

The real question is: "Does it easily make the kind of lather that you like?". There is really only one way to find out. I think Proraso is a classic for a reason, and it's cheap enough that it's worth finding out if you like it. That's my 2 cents. YMMV!

Last edited:
If everyone believed in this statement, we would still be traveling around in ox carts, heating our log cabins with wood fires, reading handwritten scrolls by the light of candles, and shaving with sharpened bronze tools. Progress is made when people realize that there is are better ways to do nearly everything. There are very few things that are not broken.
On the other hand, we have entire aisles of grocery stores filled with hundreds of breakfast cereals that contain variations of the same dozen ingredients, manufactured by an oligarchy of four or five gigantic corporations. This cereal is aggressively marketed using around $500 million of advertising per year. Gross margins may exceed 45-50%. This is what I call stupid progress. It's an example of wasteful, pointless variety that clutters life and consumes people's time and attention for no real benefit.

1617745428480.png

I think I'll have a nice bowl of generic steel-cut oats. I buy them in bulk.
:laugh:

On the other hand, we have entire aisles of grocery stores filled with hundreds of breakfast cereals that contain variations of the same dozen ingredients, manufactured by an oligarchy of four or five gigantic corporations. This cereal is aggressively marketed using around $500 million of advertising per year. Gross margins may exceed 45-50%. This is what I call stupid progress. It's an example of wasteful, pointless variety that clutters life and consumes people's time and attention for no real benefit.

I think I'll have a nice bowl of generic steel-cut oats. I buy them in bulk.
:laugh:

I eat oatmeal six days a week. However, I am glad I do not have to plow the field, sow the oats, weed the field to remove tares, harvest the sheaves, thresh the grain, and grind or cut the oat husks into meal. I do not have to chop wood and build a fire so I can cook the oats each morning. All I have to do is open the box, measure out a suitable amount into a pan along with milk or water, and add salt. Then I turn on my gas stove, stirring until the oats are cooked. That is progress, the good kind.

Because there is evil and greed in the world, not all progress has been beneficial. Along with "things", people need to be fixed as well.

Top Bottom