What's new

Do cartridge razor cartridges typically last for more shaves than razor blades?

Do cartridge razor cartridges typically last for more shaves than razor blades?

• Total voters
Well, the plastic portion of the cartridge may take longer to break down naturally over time than a solid metal blade.

As another said earlier, they only seemed to last longer for me because I stretch out their life because of costs. It's been around 6 years since I last used a cartridge, so things may be different now.

linty1

My wallet cries.
For me its hard to tell, I mainly use de/se razors and will sprinkle in cart use more to mix it up, maybe.. twice a month? So it -seems- to last longer, but I haven't counted. I did buy this little rubber mat thing that apparently if you push against with your cart, you can strop your cart into more shaves.

Cartridges "lasted longer" for me as a teen, into my late 20s because I just upped the pressure & occasionally used a toothpick to clean between the blades.

In general, I know that I can get quite a few shaves from most DE blades, because I rotate through at least 2 dozen loaded razors on a regular, daily-shave, basis and its about every 6 months that I find myself doing frequent replacements.

I obviously haven't shaved with a cartridge for awhile! Current prices are $25 for 15 cartridge refills, so $1.67.
Depends on which cartridge you are talking about. The Fusion cartridges are closer to $4-5 each, I think. I don't buy them, and haven't priced them in a while.

Depends on which cartridge you are talking about. The Fusion cartridges are closer to $4-5 each, I think. I don't buy them, and haven't priced them in a while.

I looked up the Mach 3 at the lowest available price in CONUS from a known retailer. I used those longer than any other cartridge and thought they were pretty much the pinnacle of cartridge shaving options.

It's been a long time since I've used a Cartridge razor, putting aside the bad after effects of using one, Carts did not last very long, I only got maybe 2-3 good shave before they got dull, I've found that the sharpness of any of the carts including Gillette, Schick and throw aways were mostly the same. to where in a DE blade we have many choices of sharpness and coatings. Example: My Astra SP's I get 4 BBS Shaves and with Wilkinson Sword I can get 6. In my view The DE/ SE blades are the winners.
Then There are the Straight Razors, but that's another subject.

The more blades on a cartdridge the more shaves you're gonna get. Because when 5 blades share the workload rather than two, each blade has to cut less. Thus, I get 25 to 30 shaves with a Fusion and only 5 to 6 shaves with a Sensor Excel. Of course the better coating on the Fusion helps, too.
But I never got more than 4 to 6 shaves out of a DE. Seriously, how could anybody get 50 shaves out of a DE? With a fuzzy beard perhaps?

The more blades on a cartdridge the more shaves you're gonna get. Because when 5 blades share the workload rather than two, each blade has to cut less.

This is only partially accurate. The blades do not rotate, so they don't really share the load. A cartridge is only as sharp as the first blade that hits the beard, and as long as that blade remains sharp enough to cut without tugging, the remaining blades may perform some cleanup on what remains uncut. But the reality is that the lead blade is dull long before the other 4.

My experience with a Mach3 is that I can get 31 shaves, with the last 2-3 being pretty rough. With my rotation of DE blades, there are many that can go in excess of 30 days, some into the fifties. But with cartridges, I endured some bad shaves to control costs, which I seldom do when using a safety razor. For the same outlay as for one cartridge, I can get 20 or more DE blades. I only need to get 2-3 shaves per blade to see any benefit at all.

It's been too long, but typically I would "use" cartridge blades longer than DE blades since I didn't feel like buying more expensive cartridges. I tried to stretch them as much as possible, thinking they were acceptable shaves shaves when they were fairly tuggy. I think using my favorite DE blade I could stretch it out and outperform the cartridge. More blades on a cartridge didn't seem to make it last much longer imo and the initial sharpness on favored DE brands is much better.

I would only add to what others have said. I used cartridges longer because they were expensive. DE blades can be kept in service as long as cartridges. It didn't help that I was using them when I was younger and some Mach3's weren't an insignificant expense.

I still use cartridges for travel but I've just been replacing them once every other trip or so even though each has only been used maybe six to ten times.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I recently got 105 shaves out of a BIC Flex 4 and I am coming up to 70 shaves on a Gillette SkinGuard. I buy them out here in Australia when they come on special for half price. Everyone’s shaving experience is different. I would have certainly saved a lot of money on buying razors if I had stayed using cartridge razors. Since I joined here I have bought over 300 DE and SE razors. Not to mention the blades, soaps, creams, balms etc. With the BIC Flex 4 I paid $4.75 for four razors. At a possible 105 shaves from one razor, that is pretty good value for money if I can get 420 shaves for $4.75. This is my experience only.

Somewhat related; You can strop a DE blade and extend it's service quite a bit. I think it's also possible with cartridge razors but their construction is obviously limiting.

Id say its about the same. I would say that carts give the perception of it being duller quicker than a DE because you have multiple blades, so you have a greater chance of it feeling tuggy, even if its not really all that dull.
I usually get about 2 weeks of shaving every other day with a DE but I pitch them the instant they start to feel the least bit tuggy. Back in the days when I used Gillette Sensors and Mach 3s, I would use them about a month but I would only shave about once a week or when my beard would start to itch and I would use the razor until the blades would literally not cut anymore because I was always broke and they were expensive.
Thats actually why I ended up just use a clipper with a stubble guard on it and only trimming my beard when I couldnt stand the itch anymore.

I recently got 105 shaves out of a BIC Flex 4 and I am coming up to 70 shaves on a Gillette SkinGuard. I buy them out here in Australia when they come on special for half price. Everyone’s shaving experience is different. I would have certainly saved a lot of money on buying razors if I had stayed using cartridge razors. Since I joined here I have bought over 300 DE and SE razors. Not to mention the blades, soaps, creams, balms etc. With the BIC Flex 4 I paid $4.75 for four razors. At a possible 105 shaves from one razor, that is pretty good value for money if I can get 420 shaves for $4.75. This is my experience only.
Thats why I always roll my eyes at people when they moan about how expensive carts are but have a razor and brush for every day of the week and enough soap, aftershave and blades to last them 10 years.
Im with you in that Id have saved a lot more money if I had never discovered wet shaving and had always just used a Mach 3 and shave foam or just kept maintaining a stubble beard with clippers or a One Blade.

I had 12 shaves on a Gillette Mach 3 disposable when I discarded it. I get the same amount of shaves from a DE blade. It does depend I think on the blade and the beard too. I use a cart when I am having a problem with arthritis.

About the same... I’d say 5 or 6 shaves each. Although some days growth killed a cartridge any time... but not necessarily a DE blade.

Roughly the same here. I used to get 7-10 shaves out of a cart, and I get 6-10 out of most DE blades. My personal longevity record is 48 shaves out of a German Wilkinson.

Thats why I always roll my eyes at people when they moan about how expensive carts are but have a razor and brush for every day of the week and enough soap, aftershave and blades to last them 10 years.
Im with you in that Id have saved a lot more money if I had never discovered wet shaving and had always just used a Mach 3 and shave foam or just kept maintaining a stubble beard with clippers or a One Blade.

It depends on whether you're primarily a shaver or a collector. If you're a collector then don't complain about the cost of cartridges.

If you're comparing cartridge razors to safety razors on a cost basis., then soap, AS, and brushes are irrelevant as you can use them with either.

If you have 10+ years worth of soap, blades, AS, and other consumable shaving gear, then you're neither a shaver nor a collector; you're a prepper. :innocent:

Top Bottom