What's new

What's your relaxing and (still) efficient DE razor?

If I may ask, what is your shave methodology? I use the Dart purely ATG, leaning more towards the bar than the cap, and I have trouble so much as nicking myself. The Dart has arguably the most polarising reviews I have ever seen for one razor, and I fall on one end of the spectrum, so I am wondering if it may be that it is less smooth WTG?

On most of my face it's great. I generally lean more toward the cap and it's smooth. What I'm learning now is I can do that for 90% of my face but have to go more toward the bar in the space between my lower lip and chin and the sides of my mouth - basically the goatee area. That gives me less of a close shave in that postage-stamp-sized spot but prevents weepers. And then in the area where my right jaw hinge meets my neck and I can't do a ATG pass or it gets red/irritated, so I have to do a WTG and a sort of weird diagonal XTG on the second pass.

So you see it's kind of complicated with this one. My RR GC has little of that - WTG, ATG, done. The RR gives me BBS most times, but the Dart, when dialed in just right, can give that extra "glass smooth" feel.

As an electrician, DO IT PROPER=DO IT WITH COPPER !!!!! HMMMMMMMMM........Anniversary and Father's Day ARE coming !!!!!:)

Attachments

• 1616638119002.png
    1616638119002.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
A wartime Star Bakelite and potmetal 3 piece, but when you write "relaxing" and "efficient," these terms are probably indications of familiarity more than any inherent qualities to the razor itself. Shave with the same razor 6 days out of 7 and you'll be relaxed and efficient with it, pretty much regardless of make or model.

The R1 plate in the ATT Classic range seems to me to be easy, comfortable but still as efficient as possible, face feel afterwards is as smooth as H1 but a lot more comfortable with no micro-irritation present even on difficult areas (neck).

IMG_9118.jpg

The Rockwell 6S with #6 plate is the most close and efficient razor in the rack. I have to force myself to change blades in it, as blades shave for many days longer than in any of the rest of the herd.

Probably still the Gamechanger .84 or the Merkur Progress.

Hate to say it, but my biggest razor purchase, the Timeless bronze open comb is probably my least relaxing. Used it yesterday and it continues its trend of drawing blood with every use. It is just too aggressive. My plan was for an evening 3 pass shave, but I had to end it at two passes.

Karve Stainless OC-D. When I responded to this thread may months ago it was Rockwell 6S, plate 5. Since then two things have changed - I've dialed in the angle on the Karve, and developed a truly light touch. With this done, I find the OC-D gives me a 15+ hour shave time after time with zero irritation, and the beautiful balance of the Karve stainless lets me drive it like a sports car. I would name my Timeless SS .95 OC as a close second, but it is bulkier and the balance in my hand is not quite as good.

Top Bottom